Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tyler Peak 5/20-5/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostWed May 21, 2014 12:02 pm 
I walked up the Tyler Peak Way Trail yesterday afternoon and spent the night on the ridge one highpoint over from the summit.. The Upper Dungeness Road is in decent shape although the potholes that were bladed into non-existence last fall are reappearing. The spur road to the way trail is in about as good shape as I've seen it. The trail is as steep as ever and maybe more indistinct in the upper meadows than usual. At least, I managed to stay on it only occasionally. Clouds hung around all evening. It was cooler than I expected- 39 degrees in the tent at 9 pm and 35 by early morning. With a brisk NW breeze I was wearing just about everything I brought with me. I had hoped to walk over to Baldy and Gray Wolf Ridge this morning but there was more snow on the ridge past Peak B than I had expected. It looked like I would have been on snow all the way over to below Baldy and the ridge up to Gray Wolf also was still holding snow. I scared myself on that ridge line on hard snow earlier this winter and wasn't much interested in repeating the experience. At 15 line-of-sight miles from my house this is probably the closest I've ever come to backyard camping. Photos
Tyler Peak
Tyler Peak
Baldy
Baldy
Gray Wolf
Gray Wolf

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum

Barefoot Jake
Professional Bum
PostWed May 21, 2014 3:09 pm 
I'm extremely envious. up.gif

half fast

half fast
PostWed May 21, 2014 5:52 pm 
Abert wrote:
Very nice up.gif up.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Phil

Phil
PostWed May 21, 2014 6:16 pm 
I've been wondering about that area...thanks for the update. How was it camping up on that ridge?

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed May 21, 2014 8:59 pm 
Awesome! up.gif

Abert

Abert
PostThu May 22, 2014 8:36 am 
Phil wrote:
How was it camping up on that ridge?
With the wind, I wandered around in the rocks of Peak B trying to find a sheltered spot but there wasn't anything large and level enough for a tent. Lots of flattish and kind of level ground between Peak B and Tyler on bare to lightly vegetated ground. No real established sites that I saw or wind protection. The only person I've seen camping up there was in the trees on the ridge south of Peak B. Anywhere else on Gray Wolf Ridge is likely to be on exposed, open ground. Small streams (at least for awhile) as you enter the meadow on the Tyler Way Trail and the meadow below the ridge on the Maynard Burn Trail. A small lake several hundred feet below the ridge after Baldy and snow below Point 7076 that usually holds on for most of the year. South of Baldy the ridge is in the national park. Both trails are considerably steeper (if not that long) than most places people might carry an overnight pack up to.
Treed area S of Peak B
Treed area S of Peak B
Lake W of Ridge
Lake W of Ridge
Point 7076
Point 7076
(Photos from Sept .2012)

Phil

Phil
PostFri May 23, 2014 7:41 am 
Abert wrote:
Lake W of Ridge
Lake W of Ridge
I'm camping here some day.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun May 25, 2014 11:36 am 
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. It's hard to decide where to go next. Not because I'm worried I'll be disappointed, but there are so many awesome places to see. This one, though, is moving up on the unscheduled itinerary.

newtrout

newtrout
PostSun May 25, 2014 2:53 pm 
Tyler is a great early season spot! I've camped on the shoulder of one of the bumps south of Tyler. A beautiful, memorable spot for sure... Great sunrise and sunsets. Not much wind protection, so you need a nice, strong high pressure system.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 26, 2014 7:29 am 
Abert wrote:
The trail is as steep as ever and maybe more indistinct in the upper meadows than usual. At least, I managed to stay on it only occasionally.
Was the route snow free to Tyler? I know what you are talking about in the upper meadows. You just kind of have to aim for the saddle, or veer off towards Tyler as I saw others doing when I went to Baldy last year. Looks like the route to Baldy still has enough snow.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon May 26, 2014 8:47 am 
Thanks for the info. Yea I did the Baldy/Maynard Burn loop a couple of years ago in August and remember all the flowers. I didn't get Tyler though and wanted to return.