Forum Index > Trail Talk > Aircraft Wrecks Of The Pacific Northwest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerman77

hikerman77
PostThu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 pm 
Cape Lookout Oregon - On August 1st, 1943, in the middle of World War II, B-17F flying fortress #42-30326 was headed north up the coast on a routine patrol flight. The plane had left Pendleton Field, near Pendleton Oregon, at 0900 and was tasked with flying to Cape Disappointment on the Oregon Coast. They were then to fly 500 miles out to sea, followed by a direct flight back to Pendleton Field. It was the crew's last mission before a quick 2 week furlough, followed by deployment overseas. On arriving at the coast, the crew found the entire area hidden in the overcast which extended to an elevation of 8000 feet. The pilot decided to locate Cape Disappointment by flying below the overcast. The overcast proved to reach almost to the level of the sea. The plane was flying at about 50-150 feet above the waves. Deciding that the risk was too great the crew began to climb back up into the overcast. Unfortunately, the plane crashed into the side of Cape Lookout at about 900 feet in elevation. This marker was put in place to commemorate the lives and bravery of the nine men that died that day, as well as the single survivor, Wilbur Perez, who died in 2009

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jassdo

jassdo
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 7:34 pm 
Anybody have any information on this wreckage? Location is on the south side of Snoqualmie Mt at around the 5,000-5,500 foot level (could be off my internal altimeter is not very precise). We traversed from the climbers path on the west side over to make the ridge near Lundin. Wreckage was approximately half way between the two. Unfortunately did not have GPS for precise coordinates and did not think of looking for something to identify the plane. Thank you for any information!
edit: I have already attempted to find it on the NTSB site with what knowledge I have with no success.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 pm 
http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/index.aspx Enter Snoqualmie in the word string.

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Jun 03, 2014 11:11 am 
Bear Creek Mines camp.
Bear Creek Mines camp.
N. Fork Snoqualmie River Rd.; Lennox Creek Rd; Bare Mt. Trail #1037. Ignore the first switchback, continue straight ahead up the old mine road past the decaying puncheon bridge and the 5" flume pipe, and you'll find some aircraft wreckage near an old stove and other mine artifacts. What is this thing? A puzzle. At first, I thought it was a twin-tail airplane vertical stabilizer (like, twin Beech? Erco Ercoupe?) but it's way too small, and no rudder or moving control surfaces. Helicopter part? Some kind of flattened tank, or streamlined air scoop? Housing for a radio direction finder loop antenna? Naw. Mundane. Wheel fairing for a Cesna 170. RIP, friend. Note rusted steel tubing behind the small 21 lb. dog -- airframe?

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jun 03, 2014 8:28 pm 
jassdo wrote:
I have already attempted to find it on the NTSB site with what knowledge I have with no success.
I searched from 1/1/1960 to 12/31/1979 for WA and found four fatal crashes listed for Snoqualmie Pass.

D McCurry

D McCurry
PostSun Jun 08, 2014 8:39 pm 
Looks like this might be a wheel fairing? Dave

TedR

TedR
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 10:25 am 
In June 1945, a Comox, BC-based RCAF Dakota (aka DC-3/C-47) went missing with a crew of 3; the wreckage (and crew remains) was discovered in Sept. 1953 by goat hunters on Sulphur Mtn, E of Darrington. Beyond that, I've found very little information. Does anybody have any further location and/or status info concerning this site? Given the relative remoteness of this area, I'd expect that most/all of the debris is still up there...a Gooney Bird is a fairly good-sized aircraft.

D McCurry

D McCurry
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 1:34 pm 
Hi Ted, The only information that I have heard is that the entire C-47 is still there, but it takes a couple of days hiking to get in and out of the extreme remote area. Dave

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 18, 2015 2:50 pm 
Sulphur Mountain is not that remote anymore. It was for since 2003 because the Suiattle Road was washed out. It is open now and we climbed Sulphur a couple months ago there is a trail to an old lookout site and the summit is an easy scramble from there. We did not see a a C-47 but it could well be on some unnamed peaks to the North.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
reststep

reststep
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm 
Schroder wrote:
The book is out
They do not have this book at the Kitsap Regional Library but they are going to try and get it on loan from somewhere.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Mar 21, 2015 5:10 pm 
Cool book! I would be very interested to find the wreck on Sulphur Mt.

Bramble_Scramble

Bramble_Scramble
PostSun Mar 22, 2015 10:48 am 
I came across the wreckage on Wing Peak a couple years ago while summiting Wing and Gunn. At first I thought it was the remains of a weather station but then I realized it was a covering about a 300-500 foot radius of the summit. Found a radio device. Looks like some of the wreckage was hauled out at some point.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Mar 23, 2015 1:37 pm 
Shakawkarl wrote:
I came across the wreckage on Wing Peak a couple years ago while summiting Wing and Gunn. At first I thought it was the remains of a weather station but then I realized it was a covering about a 300-500 foot radius of the summit. Found a radio device. Looks like some of the wreckage was hauled out at some point.
That's Wing Luke's plane that crashed on May 16, 1965

OLDUSNLT

OLDUSNLT
PostWed Aug 31, 2016 5:44 pm 
This Wright 9 cylinder R1820-56 Radial engine was from a Navy Wildcat Fighter plane FM2 which crashed in the spring of 1945 but not found until the Fall of 1950 by several loggers who saw the wreck using binoculars from a logging area on an adjacent mountain, The site was a large steep rock slide area just below the peak of Devils Thumb Mountain which is adjacent to Devils Peak. I and 2 other young friends rolled the engine down the rock slide and over the cliff. The engine is now about 1/4 mile from crash site. I was scratched and bruised by the broken props while rolling the engine. Carried a .50 caliber machine gun out of the wreck and turned it over to the FBI for disposal. The rubber tires on this plane were known as 6 by 26 tires and were slightly smaller than a car tire 6.00 by 16 which was used on many cars during this period. The planes rear fuselage. tail and engine were separated from the wings/cockpit section of the plane. the pilots remains were found in the cockpit at the time and the U,S. Navy was notified and recovered the remains. The rear fuselage section was not near the plane and was not located at the time of discovery of the wreck. Jerry Denberger Phone: 360-373-0839

rustdogbrown

rustdogbrown
PostMon Jul 10, 2017 9:23 pm 
Can you provide the excerpt from the "SNOHOMISH: MY BELOVED COUNTY. AN ANGLER'S ANTHOLOGY" book that talks about the plane crash near Boulder Lake?