Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Banjo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri May 23, 2014 10:01 am 
Dear Forum members: I am reaching out to you for any memories or photos you might have of Banjo in his hiking years. Sadly, he passed away yesterday after a prolonged battle with degenerative disk disease and it's crippling side effects. My memories of him are primarily of the last two years caring for him, worrying about him and watching him decline. I am reaching out to all of you who knew me as Bad Dog, for any happy memories and photos of Banjo. He was an amazing dog that welcomed the 50+ rescue dogs into our home and helped many of them rehabilitate emotionally and physically until they could be adopted. His calm and happy temperament is greatly missed.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm 
So sorry to hear about the loss of your pet. It's a terribly sad thing to endure. frown.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri May 23, 2014 1:51 pm 
I went through this a year ago (although it was lymphoma), and I feel your pain.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri May 23, 2014 3:42 pm 
wait for us at the bridge, Banjo.
wait for us at the bridge, Banjo.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri May 23, 2014 3:44 pm 
frown.gif I am so sorry to hear about Banjo's passing and the struggles at the end. It's never an easy decision and you make your best call. And know that he's at peace and free from pain. I think we only met Banjo once (at Tiger) and everyone got along just great! winksmile.gif I hope your memories of the good times and the company of your current 4 pawed buddies will ease the pain of your loss. Nancy

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostFri May 23, 2014 4:06 pm 
So sorry to hear this, Bad Dog. frown.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri May 23, 2014 4:53 pm 
Sorry to hear about Banjo.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri May 23, 2014 5:35 pm 
Terrible news, Bad Dog--so sorry to hear about Banjo. Our canine friends leave this world way too soon. My dog, Magpie, and I really enjoyed spending time with you and Banjo during the monumental Explorer Falls cleanup. Here's a link to that trip report: Explorer Falls cleanup If you go to page 5, there are lots of great pictures of Banjo. Best wishes to you, Cathy

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri May 23, 2014 9:10 pm 
So very sorry to hear about your loss. I know how special your dogs are. I'm sure I have pics from the Explorer cleanup and maybe Evergreen? I'm still out on the road, so might be another 3-4 weeks till I'm home. Rocky gives a 2 paws down. Hang in there and all the best.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
harrymalamute

harrymalamute
PostTue May 27, 2014 9:19 am 
Joanna, I'm sorry to read that you needed to let Banjo pass to the other side in order to release him of his pain. So difficult to let our best friends go. I'll try to cheer you up with a story from one of your old TR's. (we miss your baddog trips agree.gif ) Anyways, A few years ago you did some really great trips along the PCT south of Glacier Peak (White Pass area) with some really nice pics of flowers and your white shepherds frolicking with Glacier Peak in the pics. I remember that trip because it put a smile on my face for bringing back memories of me and a Thunder dog malamute 10 yrs earlier with the same images in my mind. being pre digital I've lost those pictures and you helped bring back some great memories of 4 trips to the region back in the day. I have no doubts that Thunder dog (and many others) were on the other side waiting to take Banjo to those flower filled meadows south of Glacier peak. God Bless.

hikes and climbs with malamute
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed May 28, 2014 8:35 pm 
That is so sad. Banjo was such a friendly, gentle giant. Here are a couple of photos of him with our Lupe when she was just 4 months old and weighed about 3 pounds! She would walk right underneath him on the trail.
Banjo and Lupe
Banjo and Lupe
Banjo and Lupe
Banjo and Lupe

This thing called work is interfering with my play
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostWed May 28, 2014 9:37 pm 
Sorry to hear about Banjo. I know we went on a few trips together, but one that sticks out in my mind was the time we took 3 and a half white dogs up Tiger Mountain Banjo and Jasper led most of the way:

Knows literally nothing
FootHiker

FootHiker
PostThu May 29, 2014 11:16 am 
This news reminds me of a favorite Bread song from the early 70s: Who draws the crowd and plays so loud, baby, it's the banjo man Who's gonna steal the show, you know, baby, it's the banjo man He can make you love, he can make you cry He will bring you down and he'll get you high Somethin' keeps him goin' miles and miles a day To find another place to play Night after night, who treats you right, baby, it's the banjo man Who's on the radio, you go and listen to the banjo man Then he comes to town and you see his face And you think you might like to take his place Somethin' keeps him driftin' miles and miles away Searching for the songs to play Then you listen to the music and you like to sing along You want to get the meaning out of each and every song Then you find yourself a message and some words to call your own and take 'em home He can make you love, he can get you high He will bring you down, then he'll make, make you cry Somethin' keeps him movin', but no one seems to know What it is that makes him go Then the lights begin to flicker and the sound is getting dim The voice begins to falter and the crowds are getting thin But he never seems to notice, he's just got to find another place to play

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 6:05 am 
Thank you, everyone, for your kind replies. I've only had the "courage" to look at this thread for the first time today. It still feels really fresh even though almost two weeks has passed. The NWHikers dogs are truly the luckiest dogs on the planet, to be able to go with their humans to these beautiful places, to exercise their minds and bodies with us. Sometimes we forget what an incredible journey we are on with these dogs until it is over and then we look back and say "wow, that really was an amazing journey". Thank you for reminding me of that.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jun 04, 2014 12:25 pm 
I'm sorry to hear about this, particularly the fact that he (and of course you) had to deal with an unfortunate struggle at the end. Good luck working through your grief. I have no pics to share, but he indeed looks like he was a great companion who had the chance to share many great adventures. I love the shot of him with Lupe both sitting beneath a pass. I love those shepherds and shepherd mixes, but they do seem to have some tendency toward some genetic issues (e.g. our current shepherd mix has slowly degenerating hips and surrounding area - he can still get out for decent distance well-graded hikes, with clearance from a great vet as long as he still seems into it which he does, but we can see him having a harder time getting up from lying down as the months go by...). When one of my best quadruped pals died, someone shared this quote, which very much struck me at the time:
Quote:
“We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle; easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we would still live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan.” ― Irving Townsend