Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anacortes to I-5 shuttle bus, from ferry
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostThu Jun 05, 2014 9:43 pm 
A relative is taking the Sidney - Anacortes ferry and he says the ferry arrives in Anacortes at 3pm and the shuttle bus leaves at 3:05. We've never done this before and he is concerned if the ferry is even a little late he'll miss the bus. Anyone know if the bus waits if the ferry is late?

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 7:00 am 
Happens all the time. Bus doesn't wait. It has a connection to make in Burlington. Passengers have planes to catch. No way because he'll have to clear customs. I've talked to Bellair (top notch bus line up.gif ) about it and the reason is that the ferry schedule keeps changing and ferries run late, etc. and Bellair can't keep changing their system wide schedule just for the fickle ferry. Next bus is at 5pm I think. Sucks Check SKAT but their schedule sucks too plus requires multiple transfers...

evergreen199

evergreen199
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 7:50 am 
You can also post in the San Juan Island Ride Share group on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/groups/223500111019937/) and see if anyone else will be on that ferry that would like an extra passenger in their car (often people want to be able to drive in the carpool lane so they look for others leaving the island at the same time).

mike

mike
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 am 
Works for domestic ferries. I just ask around on the ferry and am generally successful. International ferries not so easy. No one in their right mind will take a stranger through customs. Perhaps arrange for pickup beyond the gate. But who knows how long the wait will be.

hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 2:14 pm 
Thanks for the info and suggestions! What are the odds the ferry would be early on a Sunday afternoon? Also, apparently the main customs check is done before boarding on the Sidney side, and only a quick check at Anacortes.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
mike

mike
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 3:04 pm 
hiker1 wrote:
Also, apparently the main customs check is done before boarding on the Sidney side, and only a quick check at Anacortes.
Don't think that's true. It's Immigration before boarding in Sidney and Customs in Anacortes (US soil) for everyone on the ferry no matter where you boarded. These people are not fun and now have an unlimited budget to make your life miserable.
Quote:
What are the odds the ferry would be early on a Sunday afternoon?
About zero but who knows?

hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 pm 
mike wrote:
It's Immigration before boarding in Sidney and Customs in Anacortes (US soil) for everyone on the ferry no matter where you boarded. These people are not fun and now have an unlimited budget to make your life miserable.
Even poor old US citizens have to endure this? Even if they didn't come from Sidney? I guess they have to be certain. Does federal ID of some sort make it easier, or maybe you have to have federal ID? Also, the #410 WA state ferry bus seems not to run on Sundays. Is this correct? And if my relative books the 3:05 bus and misses it, can he use his reservation for the 5:05 bus? And be sure to get on it?

mike

mike
PostSat Jun 07, 2014 8:49 am 
hiker1 wrote:
Even poor old US citizens have to endure this?
Yes. Bring a passport.
Quote:
Also, the #410 WA state ferry bus seems not to run on Sundays. Is this correct?
Don't know. Check the schedule. It sucks.
Quote:
And if my relative books the 3:05 bus and misses it, can he use his reservation for the 5:05 bus? And be sure to get on it?
BellAir is very flexible about getting you on the bus. We used them last Sat and they were happy to switch us no problema. But space was available. I have no idea if the bus is booked or not though. It is a short bus to Burlington. My guess is that it won't be a problem but no guarantee. I suggest reserve space on the 5:05 as back up and hope you make the 3:05. Good chance of others on that ferry in the same situation who also would be on the 5:05