Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > movie: "Mile.... Mile & a half"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 pm 
has anyone else seen this documentary? "Mile... Mile & a half" I stumbled across it on Netflix streaming and watched it on an impulse. It follows a group of "artists" hiking the length of the John Muir trail in CA. Artists = sketcher, still photographer, camera people, and a sound man. Plus the people they run into. I really liked it. Something about it, really captured the feel of a normal group of people hiking the trail. I especially liked that they were not super human or crazy, just a fun bunch that enjoyed people and nature. Filming style was a great balance of capturing the beauty, but not looking over Produced. If you don't feel like going out for a hike in the high country somewhere after watching this, there is something seriously wrong with you. Of course they hike for 25 days, and hit one or two days of rain, and its a bit funny to watch them "cope" with conditions we would consider "average" in the Northwest. Anyway, I highly recommend it. Great way to get an overview of the John Muir trail at the very least. Visuals are worth the price of admission alone.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 10:42 pm 
Haven't seen it yet, just stumbled across a mention of it on another site. Definitely want to check it out, the scenery on the JMT alone makes it a no brainer for me.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostThu Jun 19, 2014 8:58 am 
I just watched it last week. I actually bought it a few months back - was happy to pay for it based on what I heard and previewed. I had been waiting to watch it with someone who would appreciate it with me and that opportunity happened last week. I liked it even more than expected for many of the reasons you (boot up) call out. They were "normal" people - not crazy hikers trying to prove something. It was neat the way they incorporated people they met - especially the two musicians. The music has been in my head a lot since watching. The JMT is something I'm seriously considering - maybe next year.

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Jun 20, 2014 10:50 am 
I watched the movie and loved it. As a frequent JMTer, it made me excited to do the trail again, in about 3 weeks time:-). Ive never done the JMT when the creeks are high so it was interesting seeing the trail in conditions I have not personally experienced.