Forum Index > Partners > Need suggestions hike this weekend! Mountain Loop or HWY 2
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostWed Jun 25, 2014 12:45 pm 
I apprecaite any suggestions, folks. I got the go ahead from Mrs. Flash Gordon to spend the night in the woods this Friday and Saturday night. A lttle early in the year for the most of the places I like to go. Looking for a 5 to 8 mile hike to stay at a lake. But I don't want to camp in the snow. I was thinking Goat Lake on Mt. Loop Hwy, but it is kind of meh to me. Looking for something that is not too popular... Taking a friend and it will be his first backpacking trip.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 25, 2014 1:28 pm 
I like Peek a boo lake but not sure if its melted out.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon
PostWed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm 
I am thinking of going past Dorothy Lake to Bear and Deer Lakes. I have never been there. Do most of my hiking up Mountain Loop Highway

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostWed Jun 25, 2014 7:07 pm 
There is a lake 1.5 mi up Mt. Pugh trail (Metan Lake). It should be snow free by now. You can camp there and go explore Stujack Pass little further up the mountain. It is probably too dangerous to go further from the pass if you have no ice axe, experience and equipment for steep rocks/snow. But It is a beautiful place! My trip report from June last year: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8005541&highlight=mt+pugh+mount More info: http://www.summitpost.org/mount-pugh/150517

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jun 26, 2014 2:19 pm 
Flash, do some more research on the Lake Dorothy trail and beyond to Bear Lake and Deer Lake. Start with this report last February and see my comment in the thread about an enormous blowdown toward the south end of the lake that would make travel on to Bear and Deer lakes difficult at best. The one I am describing is much taller, longer and extensive than the one pictured in that report. Perhaps by now, the trail has been cleared, but a call to the district office, a search online or a request for specific beta on Trail Talk for that trail if Bear and Deer are your destination. Learning the FS trail number would be helpful. I don't have it at the moment. Also note that the approach to Lake Dorothy has been "improved" with hundreds of log/crib steps. shakehead.gif There have been complaints on these and they can be an obstacle to some people. I found them tedious especially on the descent. On the other hand, from that one visit, I could tell Lake Dorothy was a very interesting and beautiful lake with the many islands, winding shoreline and surrounding peaks. Very nice area. Good luck! ~z

Julia

Julia
PostThu Jun 26, 2014 5:12 pm 
The blowdown has been cleared & the trail is accessible all the way to Snoqualmie lake.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jun 26, 2014 10:07 pm 
Thanks, Julia. That trail appears to be FS #1072 per the WTA. I had looked on the Skykomish Ranger District status page and do not even see it listed (click Trails button). Since it is just south of Skykomish, I would assume it's in their district. Odd. ~z