Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Spyware/Malware?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 10:38 pm 
So, 2 days ago my computer starting operating REALLY slow (it's less than 6 mo old, no new downloads, plenty of free space). I'm guessing it might be a spyware/malware problem but what I'm wondering is...are the free downloads safe (Malware bytes, SuperAntiSpyware)? Any suggestions are appreciated as I am totally tech-unsavvy...

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:42 pm 
You can always start with the free anti-malware stuff from Redmond http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx be careful about searching for anti malware on the web. Some stuff out there is as bad as the malware itself. Checking reviews on multiple sites like CNET , PCWORLD is helpful in finding reputable tools. Also FYI a good number of malware infections come from "skin" sites. Though my sister-in-law seems to cripple her PC on a repeating basis visting knitting and coupon sites.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:47 pm 
Also most new PCs these days come with some sort of anti-virus software with a six month subscription. Once that runs ou, its pay or no updates. Never have TWO kinds of anti-virus software installed they will interfere with each other and hobble the PC. So always check to see what is installed first, before installing a new package

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:51 pm 
I've had great luck with malwarebytes (used the free version for years before upgrading to the paid). I've run it with a couple of anti-virus software already existing on the computer with no problems.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 4:30 pm 
If you don't already have some kind of protection then do yourself a favor and spend the $70 for a copy of Kaspersky Internet security or Kaspersky Pure 3.0. It is money well spent. The license covers multiple devices including mobile devices like tablets and laptops as well as your desktop.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 10:35 pm 
We thought McAfee was good enough. Apparently not... shakehead.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 04, 2014 10:45 pm 
Kasperky for anti virus and jv16 powertools by Macecraft for the other stuff.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Jul 05, 2014 12:15 pm 
Malwarebytes...done. Next, I plan to get Kapersky but in response to RandyHiker...do I have to un-install McAfee before installing Kapersky? Hubby says lots of folks use multiple systems...but again, we're not in the industry and have nothing to gauge the accuracy of that.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jul 05, 2014 12:16 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Never have TWO kinds of anti-virus software installed they will interfere with each other
^ true. < and that one I do know from personal experience >

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jul 05, 2014 12:19 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
...do I have to un-install McAfee before installing Kapersky?
Actually, when you go to install Kaspersky it should do all that for you. Or at least give you a strong warning to not have more than one anti-virus software running at one time.

hiker1

hiker1
PostSun Jul 06, 2014 9:56 pm 
In your OP you mentioned SuperAntiSpyware, which I was recently recommended to use from an online forum to find something (persistent google cookie PREF). Now run it occasionally. There's no need to have more than one main antivirus, scanner that's running all the time, like Avast which I use (free version). Just today it warned me of a couple of bad sites, blocking them first. I also run MBAM weekly, CCleaner once in a while, and Spybot once in a while too. Each of these, along with SuperAntiSpyware, may catch different bad stuff. And they do not interfere with the main continuously running program like Avast. Also get a free copy of Belarc Advisor. It will scan your system and tell you almost everything that's good and bad about it. At the very least it tells you the details of your system, like OS version, "a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, security benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server." Important with all of these: Update the definitions with each before running them. ------------------ Aside: RE the google PREF cookie that tracks your PREFerences, and is very difficult to remove in Firefox (maybe not so in IE), I've managed to find some ways to stop it. - One is NoScript addon in Firefox. - "How to delete the google PREF cookie (Rated 5 out of 5 stars), by Skepp Tikal on June 13, 2014" - http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com