Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > World Cup 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mongo

Mongo
PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:09 pm 
US deserved to lose, except for Tim Howard. He should get a medal for putting up with such a lackluster team. I kept thinking, Bradley will start to put in some effort sometime!? And Belgium was not even really very good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 01, 2014 4:26 pm 
they were hanging on by the their nails from the first second. If it wasn't for Howard it would have been a blow out. Wondolowski missing the open goal at the end of regulation is the stuff of soccer nightmares...up there with Bill Buckner and Jackie Smith. The US is lacking that ONE player, like a Messi or Mueller or Neymar. They are a team of bench players...except for Howard. I would guess that Klinsman is still faster than half his team.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
The US is lacking that ONE player, like a Messi or Mueller or Neymar. They are a team of bench players...except for Howard.
That has been the bane of US international soccer forever. The players in general are just not in the same league as other players around the world. I was at work and didn't see the game, but was watching a shot chart. It had like 4 or 5 shot bubbles for the US and a million for Belgium... It's amazing they even made to extra time based on that.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 pm 
Howard was amazing, without him it would have been 16 to 1. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
sten

sten
PostWed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 am 
He was indeed, and more like 18 to 1.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 am 
Check out Howard's 16 saves here.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostWed Jul 02, 2014 12:59 pm 
yeah, the US players are awful. i wish they would have put me out there, i would have shown all those Belgian losers how to really play soccer.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 2:28 pm 
Germany is up 42 - 0 (if they counted scores the way US football does).

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
sten

sten
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 2:36 pm 
Wow. Just wow.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 5:12 pm 
This was like the Seahawks' beat-down of the Broncos in the Super Bowl, if the Super Bowl had been played in Denver. Amazing!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jul 10, 2014 3:34 am 
Little bit of thread drift, In my opinion, the USA does not need a world class front line striker or forward as much as we need a true, offensive midfielder/playmaker/quarterback/point guard. A guy(or girl) who can see the field, receive/control/distribute the ball at speed in traffic, direct the offense, and provide lots of service to the folks up front would be most beneficial. A midfielder like that makes all players up front better and maybe we still lose...but we lose 3-2....more goals = more fun for fans. USA must generate more offense in international competition. Our goalkeepers are always world class, our defenders can hold their own. Now we need to find those kids with head up ball skills who unselfishly cherish assists. Then we would have a team to be feared AND cheered. Tom PS: The Dutch deserved to lose. They played way too conservatively and when you go to shootout...twice...anything can happen. PSS: Can di Maria play on Sunday?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 7:04 am 
All, I was rooting for our hemisphere partners, the Argentines, but the right team won the game. Germany played to win, took risks and chances, and deserved that late strike. I cannot help but think one day less rest after that dumb scoreless draw against Netherlands cost the Argentines at the end. That German sub simply ran away from at least one defender in an otherwise very very straight forward cross. Tom