Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > This time WTA mislabeled an Enchantment lake (sort of)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 8:09 am 
The latest WTA electronic news letter has a photo of Colchuck Lake and Aasgard pass. But the problem is it is a photo of the small side pond of Colchuck lake not the main lake. That makes it look like a very small lake and could be a misleading to anybody wanting to visit the Enchantments. You would think WTA would know better.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:05 am 
They did the exact same thing in the same article re: Ingalls Lake (or Lake Ingalls or whatever the heck it's called, who really knows).

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 am 
Foist wrote:
They did the exact same thing in the same article re: Ingalls Lake (or Lake Ingalls or whatever the heck it's called, who really knows).
While looking at what you noted I went back and read the entire text on Colchuck. They stated it is probably the most spectacular lake of all in Washington's Alpine Lakes area. Then they show a small side pond! Not real good PR to promote the Alpine Lakes. Or maybe they were trying to discourage people from coming to keep traffic down.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 am 
I think you're going a little overboard. It's a nice photo, and it's from the Colchuck Lake hike.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 9:59 am 
Foist wrote:
I think you're going a little overboard.
Ok, maybe. But I think it is doing the general public outside of this area a slight disservice to say that is one of Washington's most spectacular lakes when it is not even the lake they are referring to.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 11:36 am 
The photos are contributed by volunteers and are merely minuscule representatives of what a hiker can expect to see on the trail. The photo on the West Fork Foss lakes is of one lake only – by this criticism of the photo Colchuck, the Foss photo isn’t correct, either, because there are many Foss lakes. Neither is Dorothy, because I’ve seen Dorothy differently than this photo shows it. There’s no law that says each photo has to be a 100% money shot. Hikers are supposed to seek their own money shot with their own eyes. That’s why we keep going out there. Photos can’t ever fully represent what hikers are out there doing – exploring places on their own and experiencing the sounds, smells, and feeling of the places these trails go. So go hiking this weekend and feel better. Life’s too short to focus on small things that don’t really matter, don’tcha think?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 12:02 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
So go hiking this weekend and feel better. Life’s too short to focus on small things that don’t really matter, don’tcha think?
Actually I don’t feel bad at all. In fact I just got back from a great hike to a rather obscure place and feel a sense of accomplishment even though my objective was a bust. The Full Moon Saloon is a place for open comment. I just find it sort of ironic that the Enchantments have such worldwide exposure with almost a cult following and in the past two weeks a couple of the most visited places have been mislabeled. Backpacker Magazine I can understand, I was just a little surprised that the WTA would say that pond is one of the most spectacular in the Alpine Lakes. Don’t worry about me. We all have our quirks, but my blood pressure is usually down around normal.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 12:56 pm 
Ha, check the link. They found another photo and changed it. Disservice averted, all hikers are now properly serviced! winksmile.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:13 pm 
Foist wrote:
Ha, check the link. They found another photo and changed it. Disservice averted, all hikers are now properly serviced! winksmile.gif
OH MY GOD. My wife has been telling me since I have known her that even small voices should not be afraid to speak up because they might even make a small difference. Being born a bit skeptical I never really bought into that concept. Now I owe her a big apology. And BTW, I am a big fan and membership supporter of the WTA. I think they do us a great service. One of the few trail supporters we can rely on. Thanks WTA.