Forum Index > Trail Talk > trustworthy, loyal, HELPFUL???
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wheatie

wheatie
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 11:21 am 
Stefan wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Quote:
Scout Oath (or Promise) On my honor I will do my best
I would like to know the exact interaction. I wonder if she exactly asked for help or assumed they would help. I do not believe in heresay. Many people do not know how to help. Many people are afraid of dogs. Even sedated dogs.
Thats ridiculous. Some people are afraid of dogs, but not a whole boy scout troup. As for not knowing how to help... how about "is there anything we can do to help?"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:01 pm 
wheatie wrote:
This is ridiculous.
You are basing your opinion on heresay.

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:12 pm 
wheatie wrote:
Some people are afraid of dogs, but not a whole boy scout troup.
Have you ever been responsible for other people's children while the unknown behavior of a stranger's dog is present?

Art is an adventure.
wheatie

wheatie
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:16 pm 
"hey guys, wait here while I see what's going on with this lady and her dog (that cannot walk)" I am beginning to think that YOU were the leader of this group of Boy Scouts.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:49 pm 
Heresay.

Art is an adventure.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 1:32 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I would like to know the exact interaction. I wonder if she exactly asked for help or assumed they would help. I do not believe in heresay.
I'm with you, Stefan. I know this story stirs up emotions, but I can't pass judgment on the troop or the woman unless I was there or at least heard both sides of the story.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 am 
wheatie wrote:
Not their problem, though. Thats what those boy scouts learned, not their problem. And that is the world we live in today, more and more every day, not your problem...
Well put up.gif This incident seems to me to be an indicator of all that is wrong with the scouts organization as a whole (and, indeed, modern society). Glad to hear Kemper is OK, I know my dogs would in quite a state after such an encounter; my brothers dog, Anatevka, flees in utter terror at the slightest hum of a single fly!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 10:03 am 
Based on all the hearsay it appears the interaction between Scouts and hiker could have been handled better. And I can think of many ways they could have helped (most mentioned here). However, as a leader of that group I am not sure I would want a 70 lb boy picking up a 65 lb dog that has been injured and is refusing to be moved.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 11:43 am 
I find it odd and kind of funny that this story has elicited all these "hrrumph kids nowadays" "hrrumph society nowadays grumble grumble" responses. Is this a board for grumpy 80-year-olds? I would normally just chuckle and move on, but it bothers me a bit that a potentially identifiable person is being criticized so harshly and publicly. I feel like another side should be presented. Obviously, as Stefan pointed out, we are only hearing one side of the story (although it's "hearsay," not "heresay"). But even assuming the story is accurate, I'm still not convinced that the scout leader -- who might read this site or whose friends might read it -- deserves this verbal lynching. To the original poster: what, if anything, did your wife ask them to do, much less expect them to do? Boy scouts are kids as young as 10 years old. The scout leader surely has his hands full supervising a group of boys in the wilderness. Even if I had encountered this scene without a group of kids that I was responsible for, it would be far from obvious that there was anything I could or should do to assist. The dog was not maimed; it was simply spooked and being stubborn. Logically, the owner is the person most likely to solve that problem and coax the dog back onto its feet. Even assuming the dog had to be carried, did she tell them that? Others have already observed that actually carrying the dog for her was not an option, anyway. The other ways that one poster has proposed to help are either not obvious or do not seem likely to accomplish anything. Offer to share weight? She was on a short day hike, how much could she have been carrying that this would make a difference? Offer to make a phone call? There is no cell reception there, I am fairly sure. Give the dog benadryl? There is no indication that the dog had an allergic reaction, or that the troop had benadryl, and I'm skeptical anyway that you can just give any old drug made for humans to a dog. In short, I hope the dog is okay, but I'm just not getting the grumpy outrage.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:24 pm 
It is true we only have one account -- that account includes the text:
Quote:
The response she got back was pretty much along the lines of “Yeah, right, lady. You’re on your own – good luck with that…”
That may or may not be an accurate account of what was said. However in a situation like this the words used have an important impact -- I can certainly appreciate that an adult leader's first responsibility is to the members of their troop and perhaps there really was little they could have done to help -- however if the words were more along the line of
Quote:
Well, we would like to help you, but this is beyond what we are capable of doing safely.
Might ring a little different. The fact that the troop moved on -- but then she passed them while carrying the dog is interesting -- sounds like these scouts may have not had much actual capacity to help. In any event -- it seems strange that the adult leader didn't at least offer to contact the sheriff once they got out. (in the event that she hadn't been able to move the dog)

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 pm 
To those of you shaming the scouts for not helping...if you were there would you have personally helped pack the 65lb dog out? Be HONEST!

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm 
My experiences with Boy Scouts were all positive -- although I was chagrined to note, when viewing Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph of the Will, the classic Nazi propaganda staple, that the uniforms of the Hitler Youth were only slightly different from what I wore, and the similarities were probably not all so superficial. I watched with sickened incomprehension as the two Scout leaders vandalized the rock formation in Goblin Valley (I have been there); it was like watching an adult teach a child how to torture animals or carve your name in a tree. Goblin Valley scout vandalism Choose your leaders with care. Children are not in a position to do that, and adults often choose poorly, too. Now I'm wondering what the difference between a child and an adult is. Some are allowed to graduate into nominal adulthood when perhaps they should be held back awhile. I can say that many of my values re. ideals, Nature, truth, responsibility, etc. were formed back then. Those were good men. I recall no bullying among the kids, and no serious misbehavior.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
wheatie

wheatie
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 pm 
I honestly probably would not have carried a 65lb dog very far. Mine is only 35 lbs. If there was a reason I felt that I was way more capable of carrying the dog than she was, I may have, especially if it wasn't far. What I would have done is stop, find out what the exact problem was and offer whatever assistance I could offer. If the dog wasn't being aggressive and I felt it safe I would have helped her lift the dog onto her shoulders. If her pack was significant, depending on my pack and condition, I may have offered to carry hers. The post said her husband should have been waiting for her as she was over due. I certainly could have gotten out as fast as safely possible, found her husband and sent him up to help. You are right, though, we do need both sides of the story and more details to really pass judgement, but all the potential ways they could have helped are all speculative. Yes, boy scouts can be 50lb tiny 10 year olds, but also they can be 200lb, 6 foot tall 17 year olds. My problem is that as they story is told, they did not stop, assess the situation and offer SOME sort of help, even if it was making a phone call once they got cell service, finding her husband or just walking out with her. You do not just walk pass someone that is asking for help or appears distressed without at least figuring out what is going on. You just dont.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
Hulksmash wrote:
To those of you shaming the scouts for not helping...if you were there would you have personally helped pack the 65lb dog out? Be HONEST!
If I couldn't have personally helped, I would have (at a minimum) offered to get help. Doesn't sound like that happened.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
Long term solution to this situation seems simple. Never own a dog you can't easily lift. I have carried my dog for miles, without needing a troop of boy scouts to assist me. wink.gif That being said. Whatever happened to the Boy Scout Credo "Be prepared"? I have recently run into so many Boy Scout groups out on trails that were absolutely not prepared for the obvious environment, much less extenuating circumstances. I was a cub scout as a kid. No one would take on our "energetic" pack when it came time for us to become Boy Scouts. But I did absorb an old Boy Scout manual to the point where people assume I have been a Boy Scout. I learned all sorts of handy things, just from that manual, like how to properly blaze trees and otherwise mark trails with cairns and breaking branches. Scouts should be learning all sorts of great skills. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv