Forum Index > Trail Talk > Plastic trail flagging -- have I sinned?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Have I sinned?
yes, you join Sisyphus for Eternity
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
yes, but absolution comes with repentance
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
no, your soles are clean
60%
 60%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 48

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 pm 
Quote:
I would hope if anyone with authority had a reason to not want someone on a trail, they'd put up some sort of signage with an indication that it was placed there with some authority.
signage? am I understanding you correctly? you object to tape, but putting up signs would be okay? the reason I was instructed to block off the trails with piles of brush was to obliterate a "social trail" network. I'm sure it's been done in other places as well. signage? really?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 pm 
John, we will have to agree to disagree. I will defer to the judgement of the Trails Supervisor, who instructed me to hang the tape at those two locations I mentioned above. (I had to call and ask a question about something else... he's been there 35 years, FTR.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
wildlifr

wildlifr
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:00 pm 
Ski wrote:
Schenk: Hence my rant. What I see here in this discussion (and every one about tape in the past) is comments from people who pull tape just because there's tape there. The problem is that people don't think first. They just pull tape because they believe it fits in with their own little "LNT" philosophy.
Or conversely, everyone and their brother puts it up and leaves it because they don't think it violates "LNT" philosophy; not to mention is clearly littering. The truth is, if it was only put up by proper authority, there wouldn't be enough of it to cause a stir. I don't think it's a stretch to assume the vast majority of it comes from people who feel littering is a reasonable alternative to learning how to use a GPS and waypoints or a map and compass.

wildlifr

wildlifr
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:02 pm 
Ski wrote:
signage? really?
Yes, signage, really. It's purpose is clear and so is it's designation that there was some authority behind it.

wheatie

wheatie
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:09 pm 
Ski wrote:
wheatie wrote:
if you cannot make it there without the tape, maybe you shouldn't go there?
really? says who? <edit> surveyors, fisheries, wildlife biologists don't always mark their tape with Sharpies, btw.
Common sense? Does that exist anymore? you are going to go somewhere where getting back requires little plastic flags to be left in place on trees? The same little plastic flags that a good portion of the hiking community admittedly removes? Or someone coming from a different direction could add more. Sounds like a pretty poor choice to me. I would imagine surveyors, fisheries, wildlife biologists, etc and the like should realize that in wilderness areas, as was said earlier in this thread,
drm wrote:
FWIW - When I recently took my Forest Service Steward training, which includes guidelines for cleanups, within wilderness they said to always remove those colored ribbons. Since they generally expect us to be hiking regular trail, the instruction was mostly intended for along trails, the ranger said that there was no justification for these within wilderness.
Mark it somehow, or risk that it will be removed.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 1:56 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
Rocks are a part of the landscape but they don't pile themselves up.
If you ever want to try going outside I'll take you hiking, and you'll see giant piles of rocks known as talus.
You're just trying to push buttons aren't you? Insinuating that I never go hiking is as willfully obtuse as comparing natural piles of talus to man made cairns. You can't be that dense... can you? I have been many places few people go and never constructed anything or left any intentional marking. Somehow I've always made it back, and when you go there you'll never know I was there or used that route unless you see a footprint or happen upon a backcountry camp spot - unavoidable traces of human use of the land that can't realistically be avoided (nor should they be). I have no compulsion to uselessly pile rocks or otherwise mark the landscape to proclaim my presence to those who might come behind, I don't need your flags or rubble piles to find my way around, and I can't honestly understand why other people do. My use of the wilderness has no effect on anyone else, since they won't know I was there unless they stumble across me. Yours marks the landscape to the detriment of other's enjoyment. Can you logically justify your actions, or is building straw men simply too easy?

wheatie

wheatie
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 pm 
^ he will see the piles from knocked over cairns and know you or your like have been there...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 2:39 pm 
I think the use of flagging for SAR operations is appropriate sense -- protection of people's lives is a higher priority than avoiding littering. Use of plastic flagging in other cases is goofy: 1) Now it is easy to buy and use handy GPS gadgets that track your route up and will guide you home without the bother of tying a ribbon on trees as you pass. 2) Biodegradable marking tape is available, so if you need to mark a route (outside of a wilderness area) for others to follow -- at least this stuff won't last decades. In any event anybody using marking tape (for whatever reason), that doesn't remove it on the way out is being a slob. Rock cairns consisting of three rocks are less offensive. But when everybody adds a "I was here rock" to the pile -- it can get ridiculous.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
Flagging is obnoxious and IMO has no place in the wilderness, but who among us hasn't benefited from flagging a time or two?

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 5:13 pm 
Quote:
I would hope if anyone with authority had a reason to not want someone on a trail, they'd put up some sort of signage with an indication that it was placed there with some authority.
Could you decipher this? NYC rolling/ DD

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 5:13 pm 
Quote:
Could you decipher this? NYC rolling/ DD

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 7:26 pm 
I don't see rock cairns as offensive visually, but I do object to them in circumstances where they may lead casual hikers into places that would be better left undisturbed, or where hikers who are inexperienced in cross country travel may become lost.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm 
We have put surveyor's tape on our dog in hunting season. Leashed dog. I appreciated the tape someone had placed leading from where the steep climber's/fisherman's trail up to Kindy ridge hit the snow to about where the route starts traversing left to the saddle, for our return trip. Made it pretty straightforward to find the trail again on our ski back down, once we intersected the taped line thanks in part to having written down a compass bearing and altitude notes on our ascent. May have saved quite a bit of thrashing. A GPS may have sufficed but we were using altimeter/compass. Most tape I've seen has been a good indicator that we were not on route - a sign of someone else in the same situation. Same cane be said of many small/hasty type cairns. There were some strategically placed cairns on the Alpine Lakes High route that weren't strictly necessary but I won't lie - we appreciated them.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:51 pm 
I never use cairns to mark routes, only to mark the passage of time. Before I'm on the same hike again, they return to thettalus field from whence they came. I defy any of you to spot the collapsedpile of rocks within the giant ppileof rocks covering the whole side of the mountain.

Gil

Gil
PostFri Jul 25, 2014 1:34 am 
I've photographed all of your cairns and sent the images to the Cairn Relief Bureau.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini