Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > audio advice?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
codgerhiker

codgerhiker
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:23 pm 
I have an old Harmon Kardon receiver that is dying (noise instead of signal on one channel). After it warms up 10 minutes it's listenable, but I need to assume it's gonna finish dying one day.... I have CD's. Remember those? Fabulous fidelity, no compression, lotsa dynamic range. And I exclusively listen with headphones. I'm having a hard time finding a desktop preamp-amp combo with even minimal controls. I just need the basics: volume, bass, treble, balance, loudness. I sure as heck don't need / want a fullup receiver - I never listen to radio at home & I don't need more than a few watts per channel to drive the phones. Ideas? (imagine a confused emoticon here, or perhaps the headbanger....I seem to have failed the IQ test to cut & paste....)

Bugs Bunny is who we want to be, Daffy Duck is who we are - Chuck Jones
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostTue Jul 22, 2014 12:55 pm 
head-fi.org dig and you shall find

Lono

Lono
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 7:39 am 
Hawthorne Stereo on 65 and Roosevelt in Seattle. Old fashioned hi-fi store with great attitude, and a humongous used room to replace your equipment, and poss. Take your quirky receiver in trade. Has a website somewhere.

VicTrekker

VicTrekker
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 1:00 pm 
codgerhiker wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding a desktop preamp-amp combo with even minimal controls. I just need the basics: volume, bass, treble, balance, loudness. I sure as heck don't need / want a fullup receiver - I never listen to radio at home & I don't need more than a few watts per channel to drive the phones.
I went though a spell (a few years back) of researching/buying/building headphone amps. It's actually not real common to see so-called 'high-end' audio gear these days with analog tone controls. A lot of 'headphone amps' are looking for line input from iPods, computers, etc. with digital controls. You may find that the most cost-effective solution will be something like a basic Yamaha receiver - it seems a waste of space, I know. Or, a CD player with phone out, but no tone controls? Your HK receiver is solid-state?

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 1:59 pm 
When I needed something similar, we went with a very basic Sony receiver. Still more than you need, but about the most basic that we could find.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am 
What kind of voltages do headphones typically operate at? The answer to that question might sink this idea... You could build your own little desktop unit utilizing a car stereo and a computer power supply. Both items are available nearly free. I'd guess the headphones could be run off the preamp outputs provided they don't need more than a couple volts.

SlingShot
Slingshot

SlingShot
Slingshot
PostThu Jul 24, 2014 4:43 pm 
Really? Did anyone Google "Headphone amp" I found several, from $40 on up. Most do not have tone control, this one does. This also has its own DAC. Fiio E17

Take only photo's. Leave only foot prints. Waste only time. John Muir http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogntallgrass/ https://www.facebook.com/marc.mallang
lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostFri Jul 25, 2014 11:53 am 
A little maintenance on your current receiver might bring it back to life. If it's a matter of dirty contacts on a switch or the inputs, a simple cleaning with contact cleaner will fix it. $5 and a little time opening it up and spraying in the appropriate areas. If it is something a cleaning won't fix, there are a lot of options for analog style headphone amps out there, all depending on your budget and desired options of course.

contour5

contour5
PostFri Jul 25, 2014 2:10 pm 
There's a huge junk market for old audio gear these days- ebay, craigslist, pawnshops, etc. My local Value Village has a very impressive pile of old 8 ohm gear. I see sansui, kenwood, harmon kardon stuff in there all the time. A macintosh amp and pre amp rolled thru there a little while back...