Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Seattle to Leavenworth detour
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ScottP

ScottP
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 12:28 pm 
I notice on the WSDOT site for highway 2 that... "US 2 is closed from Coles Corner milepost 84.75 to Leavenworth at milepost 99 due to fire activity. SR207 and the chumstick highway are open as a detour. No vehicles over 26,000 lbs allowed on detour. No detour available to Leavenworth." Anybody have an idea why SR 207 and the Chumstick highway are open as a detour, but not to Leavenworth? TIA

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:30 pm 
Maybe it is poorly worded or incomplete because you can certainly get to Leavenworth that way as far as I know (Coles Corner - SR 207 - SR 209 - Leavenworth). Perhaps they mean the road is not suitable for vehicles over 26,000 GVW and therefore not available as a detour to only those vehicles?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:42 pm 
Probably means that do want thru traffic in a danger area but that they will let local residents go to their houses and get ready to evacuate.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 1:57 pm 
I just heard from a source up at Lake Wenatchee just now that the road to Leavenworth via the Chumstick is now open to public car and light truck traffic. Just no big rigs. Also, the report is that skies are blue and relatively smoke free around Lake Wenatchee.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 3:14 pm 
Every spring I do a bike ride from Leavenworth, up the Chumstick, to Lake Wenatchee, out to Cole's Corner, and then down US 2 to Leavenworth. The roads definitely connect, although I heard the Chumstick has been closed until very recently because of the fire. Maybe it's listed as not a detour because they may have to close the road again if anything flares up?

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSun Jul 27, 2014 3:42 am 
The Plain detour from Coles Corner to Leavenworth lengthens the US 2 east bound trip by 40 minutes or so....and please be careful of the fire crews and their vehicles. Many are staging out of Plain. I came through there several days ago and it's no problem except for big travel trailers coming down the switchbacks into Plain. I would not do it on a weekend though. Drive speed limit. Tom