Forum Index > Pacific NW History > West Side Road Mt. Rainier
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 1:00 am 
On a recent hike up to Gobblers Knob, I found the the old comfort station at Tahoma Vista.
I was looking for some history on it and found the following.
Quote:
The Tahoma Vista Comfort Station was designed by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs in the National Park Service Rustic style and built in Mount Rainier National Park by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1931. The design was supervised by Park Service Chief Architect Thomas Chalmers Vint, and site selection and development were undertaken by Park Service landscape architect Ernest A. Davidson. The comfort station serves the Tahoma Vista Overlook, also designed by Davidson. The 14-foot (4.3 m) by 30-foot (9.1 m) public toilet facility features rough stonework to window sill level, with a framed wall above and a log-framed roof with cedar shingles. The Tahoma Vista Comfort Station was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 13, 1991. It is part of the Mount Rainier National Historic Landmark District, which encompasses the entire park and which recognizes the park's inventory of Park Service-designed rustic architecture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahoma_Vista_Comfort_Station Oddly this restroom also has a facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tahoma-Vista-Comfort-Station/154082757986614 not surprisingly nothing is posted to it. Further research I found this on the web http://lcweb2.loc.gov/pnp/habshaer/wa/wa0300/wa0349/data/wa0349data.pdf Which is a history of the West Side Road. A long read but interesting at the attempt to make a road system that surrounded MRNP to allow easy access to all areas, the problems that were faced and finally the abandonment of most of the road.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 08, 2014 11:10 am 
great find. fascinating read. answers a lot of questions. I've heard various versions over the years, but nothing in print that was substantiated.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Snowday

Snowday
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 10:55 am 
Quote:
The Tahoma Vista Comfort Station was designed by the National Park Service Branch of Plans and Designs in the National Park Service Rustic style and built in Mount Rainier National Park by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1931.
Of course, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a program of the Roosevelt administration. FDR did not take office until 1933. The CCC was authorized by congress in the spring of that year and was quickly up and running by early summer. So, was the Tahoma Vista building built latter than 1931 or by someone other than the CCC?