Forum Index > Trail Talk > Plastic trail flagging -- have I sinned?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Have I sinned?
yes, you join Sisyphus for Eternity
27%
 27%  [ 13 ]
yes, but absolution comes with repentance
12%
 12%  [ 6 ]
no, your soles are clean
60%
 60%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 48

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 11:15 pm 
Leave No Trace ethics say that inorganic material left in the forest is considered trash. People are cited for trash on the forest; I can't cite the cite, but perhaps someone can find it before I do, but I'm not that interested in proving that flagging is trash, and for wilderness areas, even if it's made of organic material (surely someone here will try to squeeze that by rolleyes.gif ) the flagging deteriorates wilderness values. It also harms wildlife that might ingest it. Splitting hairs about a sign being nailed to a tree is splitting hairs, though yeah, it is pretty funny. But how else would the sign be posted. Administering the forest is a bit different from tying plastic flags on vegetation. Administrative flagging is necessary for management, and is meant to be temporary; hiker flagging sometimes is, sometimes isn't. It's likely that more often than not, hikers do not remove their own flagging so that when others see it they simply remove it. Nothing wrong with that. If you must flag, you run the risk of someone removing it before your descent. Flaggers know that going in, or should. Learn how to read a map. Take notes on your way up.up.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 11:26 pm 
To clarify, I have no problem with XC flagging provided that it is removed on the way out by the person who left it there. I don't consider flagging a violation of LNT if you remove it on the way out. My problem is with people who believe they have the almighty discretion to remove it simply because it violates their philosophy.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 12:07 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
Brian Curtis wrote:
As to people who need flags to navigate you have to understand that they are illegal and unethical in wilderness
Cite which law prohibits flagging in the backcountry. Unethical? That's up for argument (hence this thread), but I'm not aware of any law prohibiting such. Brian, returning to my original question to you, I am honestly curious why you knock down cairns en route, but not cairns on the summit. That seems inconsistent to me. Cairns en route can arguably serve a purpose, but I don't see any practical purpose in a summit cairn.
Forest Service policy prohibits leaving any personal property for more then 48 hours. They also prohibit disposal of waste materials in wilderness. You simply aren't allowed to leave anything in a wilderness area. Did you read the ethics links I posted from the NPS and FS? Doesn't appear to be up for argument from their point of view. I leave summit cairns because on their own they don't lead to further resource degradation the way route cairns can. And because I have my inconsistent quirks.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 am 
Sheesh. Anyone worrying about this needs to just stay home.

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 1:15 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Brian Curtis wrote:
Ski, there are several people defending flagging for x-country route finding (i.e. Studebaker).
I said carnes so who the f### isn't reading what someone is writing now? your fine with braided trails through meadows then I assume!?
Why do you think both the FS and NPS say not to mark x-country routes with flags or cairns? Do you know better then they do?
Could you offer a rebutal of what I said? If there isn't a route people wander everywhere and everything gets trampled. More and more xc routes are becoming increasingly popular. Where is the tipping point?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 7:06 am 
SH, you might be imaging a problem that doesn't exist. Treads do form on popular XC routes, e.g., Ptarmigan Traverse after the snow melts has a tread on both sides of Red Ledges, both sides of Yang Yang Lakes, etc. But those treads are obvious, and do not require flagging nor cairns. Where cairns can help keep people on established treads, I'm okay with appropriate placement of cairns to keep people on the established treads. OTOH, less traveled routes, e.g. [I aint sayin'] have no treads because they see few parties, and those parties travel in a dispersed manner. If someone were to place cairns or flagging, treads would soon develop. It only takes a couple parties a year for a couple years to beat in a tread. Why flag a XC route? Modern GPS units eliminate any need for flagging XC routes. One can simply mark a waypoint rather than place a flag.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 7:16 am 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Brian Curtis wrote:
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Brian Curtis wrote:
Ski, there are several people defending flagging for x-country route finding (i.e. Studebaker).
I said carnes so who the f### isn't reading what someone is writing now? your fine with braided trails through meadows then I assume!?
Why do you think both the FS and NPS say not to mark x-country routes with flags or cairns? Do you know better then they do?
Could you offer a rebutal of what I said? If there isn't a route people wander everywhere and everything gets trampled. More and more xc routes are becoming increasingly popular. Where is the tipping point?
You will need to ask the land manager about that. I would need to see the circumstances to have an opinion. The idea is to not get trails started in the first place. Where a route is already very well established I will normally leave cairns. I should note that I don't post my cross-country routes online for this very reason.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
tom roy

tom roy
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 7:39 am 
What irritates me the most is down here in SW Washington there are a couple of places I hike loops regularly for exercise. And organized trail runs have left flags all over for the runners to do the right loops. Just a few weeks back they left their flags all over the Hamilton Mt trails in Beacon Rock state park. I see how runners need this on both places I go there are many loop options. But take your flags with you for some of us this is home. I am less irritated by them in the back country but with the new technology they should be needed less. BUT PLEASE DON'T SPRAY PAINT ROCKS I have seen this on MT Thielsen, McLaughlin and in BC. Rants over smile.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 8:56 am 
Yeah, spray paint, e.g., the bright orange paint on >200 trees on the route to Airplane Lake, is friggin' awful. FTR, when organized trail runs get a permit from USFS or WA State Parks, the permit requires that flagging be removed within X (e.g., 48 hours) after the race. IME, the RDs are very diligent about removing all the flagging, lest they might not get a permit for subsequent years.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 9:24 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Where cairns can help keep people on established treads, I'm okay with appropriate placement of cairns to keep people on the established treads.OTOH, less traveled routes, e.g. have no treads because they see few parties, and those parties travel in a dispersed manner. If someone were to place cairns or flagging, treads would soon develop.
This makes good sense to me. The cairns that I noted appreciating on the ALHR upthread were in spots with established tread on either side of boulder and talus fields. I suppose one could question which came first, but I'm guessing that w/o the cairns, that route sees enough traffic that there would be a bit of a "trail delta" forming at each side of the area where we saw cairns, eventually funneling folks toward the most natural path of travel beyond the rockfields (IIRC there were in fact a few minor "trail deltas" on that route, suggesting to me that some marking-induced funneling to a single tread was goodness there).

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 4:42 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
You will need to ask the land manager about that. I would need to see the circumstances to have an opinion. The idea is to not get trails started in the first place. Where a route is already very well established I will normally leave cairns. I should note that I don't post my cross-country routes online for this very reason.
Appeal to authority again? Many a high route is already published online. Where is the tipping point?

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 4:43 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
SH, you might be imaging a problem that doesn't exist. Treads do form on popular XC routes, e.g., Ptarmigan Traverse after the snow melts has a tread on both sides of Red Ledges, both sides of Yang Yang Lakes, etc. But those treads are obvious, and do not require flagging nor cairns. Where cairns can help keep people on established treads, I'm okay with appropriate placement of cairns to keep people on the established treads. OTOH, less traveled routes, e.g. [I aint sayin'] have no treads because they see few parties, and those parties travel in a dispersed manner. If someone were to place cairns or flagging, treads would soon develop. It only takes a couple parties a year for a couple years to beat in a tread. Why flag a XC route? Modern GPS units eliminate any need for flagging XC routes. One can simply mark a waypoint rather than place a flag.
Braided trails through a meadow isn't a problem?

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 5:51 pm 
I wonder what would happen if people used TOILET PAPER instead of plastic marking for their routes?

Art is an adventure.
wheatie

wheatie
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I wonder what would happen if people used TOILET PAPER instead of plastic marking for their routes?
Then I wouldnt have to carry TP, I could just grab a piece off the tree... and if it was just pee, hang it right back up again.. wouldn't want anyone getting lost, now would we??? dizzy.gif biggrin.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jul 29, 2014 6:48 pm 
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Braided trails through a meadow isn't a problem?
Yeah, of course it is. Nobody is arguing against cairns to direct people in places that are frequented such that multiple treads form. WTF? Flagging on the PT? No thanks. If people need flagging to do the PT, they shouldn't be there. My point is any human tread in a meadow that gets only a couple parties a year is a problem. No cairn, no flagging = no tread, unless there's a natural choke point (in which case there's gonna be an animal tread anyway).
Studebaker Hoch wrote:
Many a high route is already published online.
And your point? The Indian Head HR was published in R&R nearly 50 years ago, but there were no treads in Amber Creek Cirque when we were there 8 years ago. I can think of numerous other R&R routes, all of which were published decades ago (and available on line today) which have significant treadless sections. But if someone starts placing cairns on those routes, treads will inevitably form. So, what is your point anyway?