Forum Index > Trail Talk > Monte Cristo
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 4:48 am 
Recently I have ran accross numerous reports of a new trail leading out of Monte Cristo. Now I have read that the road in has possibly been reworked. I know that in the last few years Monte Cristo was up for sale and now has new owners. Do you think that this new trail, clearing and bulldozing is an effort to rejuvinate the town in some manner? Maybe the new trail is to divert the hikers around the site? I haven't been up there in years so don't know what is going on first hand but am thinking it's getting close to that time again. Just curious NN confused.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 7:28 am 
It's disturbing to see the Mine to Market road reopened. Last weekend diesel fumes galore, the whole road to Monte Cristo has been smoothed considerably, and more cars than usual. Thought I saw some Snohomish County rigs there, which seems strange. Wonder if cabin owners are working it, with help from the county? Or mine owners? The area near the turntable looks just like 10 years ago though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 10:21 am 
When I last went to Twin Lakes via MONKEY CRISPO, the road was a bummer! Only TOM like 4x4's could have made it! HMM! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 5:17 am 
I thought the road in was county originally and they were the ones that gated it. The county could be there because of road construction or envirnonmential issues with the river. I sense a revival in progress. I suspect more of a town/resort reconstruction with the lodge & cabins rather than mining. The last time I was there (70's) the lodge was in excellent shape and the cabins were pretty good. Stayed in one for a week. NN down.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 8:48 am 
The access to Monte Cristo reminds me of what will happen to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie--only a select few will be able to drive to the end. A private road in the wilderness. Of course I guess they are paying for it...... If you like the Monte Cristo road having a gate, then you are in favor of the Mid Fork Snoqualmie gate.

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 10:24 am 
As I understand it Monkey Crispo is or has moocho private property! There is very little of that up the middle fork! TB moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 11:36 am 
Plus, gating Monte Cristo at Barlow only adds 4 miles to the walk. Gating the Mid Fork at Dingford adds almost 10 miles to the Dutch Miller. Big difference there. agree.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 11:43 am 
Gating a road with access, is gating a road with access.....

Art is an adventure.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Sep 05, 2002 11:51 am 
Stefan wrote:
The access to Monte Cristo reminds me of what will happen to the Middle Fork Snoqualmie--only a select few will be able to drive to the end. A private road in the wilderness.
That sort of thing can build resentment, clog culverts and wash out roads clown.gif

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 11:13 pm 
Both the Forest Service and Snohomish County are working on the road. This summer, they are working on 2 miles closest to Monte Cristo; next summer they will work on the first two miles. A number of volunteers, over the years, also have been helping fix the road. The Forest Service has been doing things around the "town," including a new outhouse. As some of you have already learned, the Forest Service is planning to finish (they hope) the trail to Silver Lake before the summer ends. I think (but I'm not sure) Monte Cristo is part of MBS National Forest. However, a number of private residences still exist on the way to Monte Cristo, and in the former townsite. I suspect the NF will take over the residences as opportunities to do so arise. Silver Lake has been stocked with trout three different times; however, the plants never took. Apparently, the water has something in it that fish can't tolerate. Both Upper and Lower Twin Lakes have reproducing Cutthroat. A trail does go from Poodle Dog Pass to the ridge above the Upper Twin (you can look down and see it); then you have to pick a route about 800 feet down a route to Upper Twin. No trail goes down because snow doesn't leave the downslope until late in year. You can get to the lakes from the other side (from Mineral City), but it is a tough route and part of it is brushwhacking (no trail). - Oldtimer

misleder

misleder
PostSat Sep 07, 2002 7:47 am 
Oldtimer wrote:
then you have to pick a route about 800 feet down a route to Upper Twin. No trail goes down because snow doesn't leave the downslope until late in year
Hmm, ten years ago obvious boot track lead down to lake and circled left all the way around to the outlet on the opposite side of the lake. agree.gif And it had way too many fish in it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Sep 07, 2002 11:21 am 
I don't remember an over abundance of fish but do remember a boot track down to the lake. I also remember a few idiots with a campfire at the lake ignoring signs stating that campfires were not allowed. Most vivid memories however are of returning along the ridge top back to Silver Lake in a violent thunder storm carrying my fishing pole. paranoid.gif

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 10:51 am 
[Hmm, ten years ago obvious boot track lead down to lake and circled left all the way around to the outlet on the opposite side of the lake] Well, guess that shows how things can change in 40 years <grin>. On that trip (which I was basing my comments on), we crept about 10 miles along a freshly graded road to Barlow Pass, which was being prepared for blacktopping. Road to the lodge was much better than road to entrance. Took us 2 hours to climb through fresh clearcut most of way to Poodle Dog Pass, then we had to work along rock slides on east side of ridge because snow covered most of the top of the ridge and we couldn't find any trail. Then we glissaded down to upper lake. Watched trout spawning in inlet, watched two glassy-eyed guys arrive and collapse at lake about dusk from Mineral City side. Chipped ice out of our coffee can the next morning. All this happened in 3rd week of August 1962. I have been along the (now) well used trail from Poodle Dog Pass to top of ridge where one can look down on lake, but haven't gone down to the lakes. Just assumed no trail had been booted in; BTW, no trail existed on either side from upper lake to lower lake. Lower lake was more loaded with trout than upper lake. - (Now you know why I'm) Oldtimer.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 12:20 pm 
Ya I too remember a boot path down to the lakes. I rafted the lake to its outlet and camped there. The waterfall down to the lower lake is very nice too. I rafted around the lower lake too. TB

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 4:38 pm 
I feel that I am obligated to add my $0.02 (see avatar). On an October 1979 climb of Columbia Peak, we left the trail at the col above the Upper Twin....the well-beaten trail continued down toward the lake.