Forum Index > Gear Talk > camp shoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 4:00 pm 
okay.... after several phone calls and web browser pages.... (and considering driving to Seattle is about $40 in gas money and two hours of my time...) went with a New Balance MT10v2 Minimus Trail-Running Shoes more than what I would have preferred to pay, but if they do what I need them to do that's okay. will let you know how they work in a few weeks. <edit: got a $20 "bonus" deal with the purchase, but have to use it between 08/06 and 08/18. enough for a pair of socks, right? zowie.>

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
My Dog Is Wonderful

My Dog Is Wonderful
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 4:29 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 6:40 pm 
^ cotton canvas. that's what I'm trying to get away from.... pair of size 13 Chuck Taylor AllStars has got to weigh about 4 or 5 or 6 pounds wet.... another customer sitting next to me while I was trying on those "Minimus" deals said he owned a pair and they dried out fairly quick... he was not impressed with longevity, however... said he only got 200 miles out of them before they started to come apart.... but: he's running on trails... said his preferred shoe was an "Inov8", but they didn't have them there at Tacoma REI. guess REI's buyers just don't think we're cool enough down here to have all the stuff they do up north (or Berkeley, Denver, yada yada, yada.... )

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:19 pm 
Crocs baby.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 7:24 pm 
I'll see if I can remember to get them on a triple-beam tomorrow and get a net weight. not shown on that REI page in "specs". how much do those Crocs weigh, BPJ? If I remember correctly, those "Ultra" things Steve is wearing come in at about (?) 7 ounces per pair.

My Dog Is Wonderful

My Dog Is Wonderful
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 10:33 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ cotton canvas. that's what I'm trying to get away from....
I just weighed the Cushes on a postal scale, 11 oz pair. They should work great for me. I don't plan on getting them wet. If you're in Cabelas, check em out. I was impressed with them and immediately thought of them as a camp shoe. You may not like them. I don't care. That's what makes us a great nation, we all like different things and should respect everyone's choices.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 01, 2014 9:40 am 
hey, if they're working for you, great! nothin' wrong with that. the hi-tops have worked for me for decades.... I'm just trying to reduce weight and a third pair of footwear.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 24, 2014 10:03 pm 
re: New Balance MT10v2 Minimus Trail-Running Shoe size 13. weight 438.5 grams/pair (15.47 ounces) Much lighter than the Converse Hi-Top, especially when wet. Fairly stable for wading, although the soles don't have as much traction as I'd like on slippery rocks. Worked fine for multiple river fords and a few miles of walking gravel bars. Didn't wear them as "camp shoes" as I would have had wet feet all day. Took the Tevas to kick around camp. I don't run, and I got these to serve a purpose for which they were not intended. For the most part they did what I wanted them to do.
I've got a pair of the Vivo Barefoot Ultra's coming from PorcupinePhobia and we'll see how those do.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 pm 
Vivobarefoot Ultra Euro size 47 (US size 13) pair with liners: 508.6 grams / 17.94 ounces pair without liners: 270.9 grams / 9.56 ounces liners only: 237.5 grams / 8.38 ounces
vivobarefoot_ultra_with_liner_size_47_508.6_grams
vivobarefoot_ultra_with_liner_size_47_508.6_grams
vivobarefoot_ultra_without_liner_size_47_270.9_grams
vivobarefoot_ultra_without_liner_size_47_270.9_grams
vivobarefoot_ultra_liner_size_47_237.5_grams
vivobarefoot_ultra_liner_size_47_237.5_grams
(haven't taken them out yet- will see how they do in a week or so.)

iron

iron
PostSat Aug 30, 2014 9:17 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:26 am 
so... Steve: question for you: just noticed that the tongues on those Vivobarefoot slippers come out! so I have to ask you: you're wearing them with or without the tongues? if I'm understanding you correctly, you're wearing them without that elastic-y liner, right? but you put an insole insert into them? put maybe a mile on them last night walking around the airport... not sure I like those little nubby things rubbing the bottoms of my feet. please advise on insert if you would. bk

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:37 am 
They fit me a bit better with tongues, but they slip on easier without tongues. Ultrapure = no neoprene liners Yes, I wear them around camp with my boot insoles in them, so no nubby bottom issues. The only time I wear them without my boot insoles is for stream crossings. Note that Vivobarefoot makes lots of other models, although I think the Ulitrapure is still their lightest

iron

iron
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:39 am 
i find these camp shoes to be dirt/sand magnets. yes, they're light, but i liked my knockoff crocs better...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:45 am 
Yeah, the Pures do allow sand/dirt to enter at a dusty camp, although not much more than my Crocs did. Did you have Crocs without holes or duck taped them? We sometimes use grocery store produce bags to keep out the dust. Iron, do you have a weight on those Zemgear sock thingies? Are the soles somewhat hard or are they soft like Acorns?

iron

iron
PostWed Sep 03, 2014 11:46 am 
holes. no duct tape. just a different static or texture of the crocs' rubber. no weights on those other shoes. just happened to come across that page while looking for something else.