Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Glacier Park bear encounter of the close kind
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostSun Aug 03, 2014 4:04 pm 
As seen on the Glacier National Park Chat Group: http://glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8404 If you just want the newspaper article: http://missoulian.com/news/local/glacier-national-park-close-encounters-of-a-grizzly-kind-on/article_73d8b38a-18f4-11e4-8c8f-0019bb2963f4.html

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
PDX Papa

PDX Papa
PostWed Aug 06, 2014 7:56 pm 
Wow! That had to be life changing for that guy. I didn't even notice him in the picture at first.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am 
Holy Crap! I've been on that trail, not a place to encounter a grizzly!!! I'm guessing the guy was heading back to Logan's Pass (hiking left to right in the photo)? And the photo is after the bear passed him? Would have been a LONG backtrack with a bear right behind him is turned around! This sort of defines, stuck between a rock and a hard place.

rhughes
Painter

rhughes
Painter
PostThu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
Here is a piece of artwork that I did in my Glacier Park book that shows that section of the trail. From it you can get an idea of what this poor guy was looking down at. That tiny vehicle is a red bus coming up the Going-to-the-Sun Road toward Logan Pass.
About 9 miles from here, just east of Swiftcurrent Pass, I had a bear encounter that I write about in my Glacier book:
Quote:
Here is a true bear story. My buddy and I hiked to the pass from an overnight in Granite Park Chalet, where we had heard from an employee during an evening program that grizzlies habituated the areas but that black bears did not come up this high. A quarter mile east of this cairn we stopped on the trail so my friend could attend to his camera. As I stood waiting I detected a movement to my right about six feet south of the trail. I turned to see a young cinnamon colored black bear sauntering by on his way toward the valley. As I remember, I nodded a hello to him and he, looking at me, nodded back. He continued on his way and I suggested to my friend that he look behind him. He did and jumped just a bit. People behind us said that the bear had followed us all the way up and over the pass from Granite Park. I am very glad that the bear was a peaceable fellow. I had had no time to think of camera or bear spray before he was far down the trail.

rhughes Painter Author of North Cascades Beautiful: An Artist's View Author of 100 Beautiful Views of Glacier National Park RoyEHughes.com
gb

gb
PostThu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm 
While I was sitting down to change clothes on the Borgeau trail near Sunshine Village in the Canadian Rockies I had a mother Grizzly with two cubs approach from my blind side and walk by me 12' away. The mother approached me, knew she was in control, and made no menacing movements. I was out of there as soon as I noticed the Grizzly's motion out of the corner of my eye.

wheatie

wheatie
PostMon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 pm 
I was on that road with a bus full of tourists last season when the guy fell off the highline trail when it hadn't opened for the season, yet due to snow.