Forum Index > Partners > Wonderland Trail 9/9 - 9/14 anyone?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
skutzler

skutzler
PostThu Jul 31, 2014 8:39 am 
Greetings Friends, I was originally going to keep my fingers crossed for a walk-up permit, but I just scored someone else's approved reservation for the listed dates. I am looking for 1-2 others to hike with. I am a fit, 30 yr old male, with lots of hiking experience, however I am flexible and just want to get out there and enjoy the park. I would be flying into Seattle from Michigan and renting a car, etc. My wife would feel better if I weren't going it alone. If you are interested let's chat. Itinerary: 9-9 Fryingpan Creek Trailhead to Nickel Creek Camp 15.1 mi 9-10 Nickel Creek to Paradise River Camp 11.0 mi 9-11 Paradise River Camp to S. Puyallup River 16.6 mi Breakfast @ Longmire Pick up food cache 9-12 S. Puyallup River to S. Mowich River Camp 18.3 mi 9-13 S. Mowich River Camp to Mystic 16.8 mi Pick up food cache @ Mowich lake 9-14 Mystic to Fryingpan creek and back to car 16.0 mi

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CicelyB

CicelyB
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 4:15 pm 
whew aggressive schedule. That being said, there are tons of folks on the trail. Just finished and met about 10 per day coming towards me and at least that many passing me. There is some sort of shuttle from airport area to park. My hiking partner took that and it arrived at Longmire around 11 a.m. - went on to Paradise I believe. Had a partner, but only for camping - hiked alone most of the time and felt just fine. Don't let going solo stop you.

skutzler

skutzler
PostSat Aug 16, 2014 12:49 pm 
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. I have decided to go it alone too. You wouldn't happen to have any further information on the shuttle from the airport, would you?

Mountain matt

Mountain matt
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 10:40 pm 
That's some crazy mileage! I did the northern loop in 2.5 days, and that was a big time challenge. I think my longest day was about 16 miles with a 40lbs pack. Struggling solo for sure haha. Did you complete this route?

Crazyhikergirl

Crazyhikergirl
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:40 pm 
I am an PNW native and have done parts of the trail but am planning to do it in its entirety next summer with my son. I would love to hear about your trip when your done and any tips you can offer.

Happy Trails! ~ Crazy Hiker Girl
skutzler

skutzler
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 7:34 am 
16 miles was about my biggest day too. I was carrying about 30 lbs. and I did complete it. The first couple of days were rough, but after the lungs, etc. acclimated to the environment it was smooth sailing.

skutzler

skutzler
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 7:36 am 
Good for you. I would love to answer questions, share tips. Email me if you have anything specific.

Crazyhikergirl

Crazyhikergirl
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 8:58 am 
Hi- a few questions for you on the trail. Did you have trouble setting up camp each night due to the crowds or did the reservation system work and prevent some of this? Any challenges sharing a site? Any tips for advise for the trail? Where did you start and stop? I am planning to do this next summer with my son and reviewing the application for permit now and trying to determine which route we want to take. We plan to take 8 days to do it so we can keep are days to about 12 miles and under.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 9:41 am 
I did this is just under 7 days starting on Labor Day Weekend this year. In my experience, the camps were never crowded. The reservation system seems to manage that very well. I suspect it might have been a little busier before Labor Day but it seems campsites still wouldn't be an issue since you've booked them ahead - perhaps more camps would be full though so less open sites to pick from if you get into camp later in the day. My biggest tip: Cache stuff along the way. While I could have gone the entire week without resupply (and did a couple weeks prior), it was pretty nice to have new stuff along the way. I actually started the hike with my old shirts/socks/underwear and just threw them away when I got to each resupply. My next biggest tip: If you have the finances, spend a night at Longmire Inn. We did this the fifth night. Awesome! Our tent was soaked by this point so we could dry out and relax for a night. They even let us do laundry.

Crazyhikergirl

Crazyhikergirl
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 12:45 pm 
Thanks for the info and great tips!!!

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 1:23 pm 
Not that ambitious. People run it in a day. Enjoy!

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein