Forum Index > Gear Talk > Fiskars Lifetime folding saw warranty
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Feb 23, 2012 8:50 pm 
Ok so I had this 10 inch Fiskars folding saw. I actually really liked it but when I pulled it out of my pocket to use it I discovered the mechanism has basically blown apart and the blade was no longer attached to the saw thus it was unusable. I didn't even have the parts to try and put it back together if that would have even been possible. I noticed on the label it said Lifetime Warranty. What the heck I went to the Fiskars website to see if they had any recourse. Realizing I paid $15 for this saw I was concerned about having to return the old one. Turns out they have a procedure which was to attach a picture and filling out the form. The picture of course showed the saw in the various pieces. Shortly after submitting the form I was informed I would be sent a replacement saw (which arrived today). You can't beat that kind of service. Basically no cost to me and I got a new saw.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 6:01 pm 
Did something break or the screw-nut loosened up and that caused the saw to fall apart?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 6:04 pm 
I'm not sure exactly how /when it happened as I pulled it out of my pocket and it was in pieces. The spring thing and part of the mechanism was no where to be found. It must have popped when I folded it and put it in my pocket, but I didn't notice until I went to use it again after lunch and was holding two pieces (the blade and the wooden handle). I was going to try and see if I could put it back together but then noticed I didn't have all the pieces. What the heck it said lifetime warranty, I decided to see how real that was. Turns out it was real.

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 7:26 pm 
Fiskars is a quality brand, so good to know they honor their warranty. That's cool they would allow you to send a pic in and not waste your time and $ shipping it back. Keep the blade you'll have a replacement if you ever need one. Tip for your new one coming. Run a wrap of electrical tape around the screw-nut and it won't ever come apart on you. I'll stick with my 21 inch bow saw. That cuts circles around any folding saw for a few more oz of weight.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 8:37 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
I'll stick with my 21 inch box saw. That cuts circles around any folding saw for a few more oz of weight.
Kinda hard to stick a 21 inch box saw in your back pocket though.... lol.gif

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 pm 
That should have been bow saw. LOL Sharp bow saw is about 10 times faster and can cut tree size trees. up.gif If you're not careful you can mess up a trail big time by light trimming-cutting.

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Feb 24, 2012 10:53 pm 
GeoHiker wrote:
That should have been bow saw. LOL Sharp bow saw is about 10 times faster and can cut tree size trees. up.gif If you're not careful you can mess up a trail big time by light trimming-cutting.
Yea I have a bow saw too. In general I like a good 12 inch pruning saw or my 18 inch corona. I'm not out there messing up trails. No reason you couldn't "mess up" (whatever the heck that means) a trail with a bow saw just as good as with a chain saw, pruning saw, crosscut saw or pick your saw. I typically just remove blowdown when I do anything.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Feb 25, 2012 1:33 am 
tigermn wrote:
GeoHiker wrote:
I'll stick with my 21 inch box saw. That cuts circles around any folding saw for a few more oz of weight.
Kinda hard to stick a 21 inch box saw in your back pocket though.... lol.gif
Never did quite understand why pruning saws have such a fine tooth pattern. I prefer the bigger teeth that are available with bow saws. And there is an alternative to the bulk of the bow saw frame. biggrin.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Feb 25, 2012 7:59 am 
Yea I've seen those that "assemble" type of saws. I guess for a dedicated work party, maybe so, but if I'm hiking along/occasional work I want something I can pull out and put away easier on the go and the better pruning saws (if they are properly sharp) seem to do the job or at least the stuff I am doing. Actually I've carried/used a 21 inch bow saw. Maybe I just didn't have a good blade (although it was new), but it didn't seem to work as good as a sharp Corona or Fiskars pruner.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Feb 25, 2012 8:36 am 
Pruners are Japanese style pull saws and therefore do not need a frame, ifthey had big teeth they would stick also big teeth require a thicker saw which takes more effort.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Feb 25, 2012 12:06 pm 
Good point Malachai. I think bow saw blades are more vulnerable to binding do to there flexible nature. However, a few axle handle wedges work well keeping the kerf open. There inexpensive, compact and don't weigh much. I admit the some assembly required is a little fussy, but that blade cruises through logs so well it's worth the fuss. It's not as heavy as it looks.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
Silky Sugozawa Silky Katanaboy I have neither of the above, but I've used the Sugozawa. I like the quick-locking hinge mechanism on this, but I had to stake the "locking" nut to keep it from loosening: Corona folding saws Mine is the 7" 7 oz. smaller one.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Aug 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
My usual carry saw of choice now is a 10 inch folding corona. It slides in a pack pocket or even your back pocket if using a lot. No assembly required, just whip it out and go. Deals pretty well with anything of reasonable size. I also have a 14 inch version with a sheath but rarely carry that. If I'm going to a known area to really do trail work I may carry a 21 inch Corona or if really ambitions this 30 inch German crosscut saw I picked up but not easy to carry.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Aug 23, 2014 10:03 am 
I finally broke down a picked up a Silky Saw For a saw that only cuts on the pull stroke is sure cuts FAST! The thing about Silky Saws to be aware of is the blade is machined with a taper and it's even thin at the teeth. The result is a saw that is very flexible and be easily kinked if care is not taken. Really this just enforces proper training technique and makes you use an already efficient saw more efficiently. Regarding that German Crosscut saw. frown.gif Skip to the last two posts. While i have not acquired one of those saws to put on my sharpening bench yet to confirm this. It appears out of the factory those saws need a tune up. Not fully sharpened, and inconsistent set. Really if yer gonna get ambitious get some training and a certification please. Part of my saw collection.
Saw Collection
Saw Collection
hockeygrin.gif