Forum Index > Partners > Wonder Lakes, day hike or overnighter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Aug 23, 2014 8:14 pm 
I'm looking for someone to go to Wonder Lakes, hopefully someone who has been there before. Sometime before the snow flies. Day hike or overnighter. Weekday or weekend. I look nothing like my avatar picture.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Deereguy

Deereguy
PostMon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm 
Ranger, Deereguy here from Shelton. We were at Wonder Lakes just before the 4th of July. Suggest a 3 day plan, 1 day travel each way and 1 day to explore. Doable as an over nighter but you miss the caving, tip top lake, fishing & exploring. We've tried every route you can imagine. The easiest route is from Steel Creek up the logging road onto a little traveled blazed route up the South face of the ridge. This route is shown on some old maps. This route is something like an elk trail but not that good. I recall you've been to Mildred Lakes. Wonder Lakes is similar with a larger basin requiring twice the energy to get there. Mostly, because of the route. Lots of route finding. You can catch me at MGH (best food in the county) for more info. I eat their at least 4 times a week. Old hiker guy hangout. Around 40 years ago, I met a guy who said he was the first person to go to Wonder Lakes. After talking with him, I believed him. He said his route was up Fourth stream.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 3:34 pm 
Hi Deerguy.. I have a friend who went a ways up the road last week and he wants to go again on Labor day. I'll try to convince him to do an overnighter.. What is MGH? I'd love to meet with you and talk to you about all the trails. Oh the Hospital, I hear the have good prime rib there. I guess old hikers go there after physical therapy for wounded ankles and knees. Fourth stream and not Fifth stream?

Deereguy

Deereguy
PostTue Aug 26, 2014 6:34 pm 
OK, have your fun poking fun at old guys. Actually, our therapy is hiking. We plan on dieing with our hiking boots on. If your going this weekend, you may want to meet soon. I leave for the rodeo Thursday afternoon back Monday. Cell 463.3942 The route the ancient described was: up four stream , over into five stream, stay on the left side following the creek you'll come to a head wall. Climb up where a small creek comes down. No ropes required but a little steep. deereguy