Forum Index > Trail Talk > Now you have done it!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 7:45 am 
I pulled out my books and started researching Yellow Aster and now I must go there this autumn! My guide books say it's harder than Church Mountain, can this be posssible? How's the road to the trailhead? Can my trusty Honda Civic make it? ...any excuse for a post hike meal at Milano's in Glacier or a burger at Frosty's. [biggrin.gif]

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 7:49 am 
The Yellow Aster Butte trailhead is accessible with a regular passenger car. Your guidebook may be wrong because the trail was recently relocated and may have much different stats now.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostFri Sep 06, 2002 7:57 am 
Hey cool, more Cannucks! I'm hoping the "Don't Waste You're Time in the North Cascades" book isn't too outdated.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
susan

susan
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 5:21 pm 
Yellow Aster Butte is a beautiful, fast trail if you take the new cutoff from the Tomyhoi Lake Trail. Take the Tomyhoi Lake Trail about 1-1/2 miles to a junction and take the left fork. It's then about 2 miles to the overlook of the lakes and the junction with the trail to the top of the Butte. I did it this last Saturday and it was wonderful, even in the hail and rain. I'm going back this coming Saturday and go to the top of the Butte and down to the lakes and do some exploring. The old trail is the one that is really steep. This new trail is just moderate. The road to the Tomyhoi Trailhead is good for passenger cars. This is the most beautiful area. I've fallen in love with it.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 7:11 pm 
It's on my to-do list too.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 8:09 pm 
Was just there for an overnighter this last weekend. Nice hike. When the clouds decide to move a bit there can be good views. Looking down into the tarns thru the fog/clouds made it look like another world. We got there in time to set up camp in the clouds, wind, rain, hail and a bit of snow. Was a cold one for sure. The lower portion of the hike was good but at the higher elevation the weather changed quite a bit. I think parking is ok if you get there early. Trail was excellent with just a couple of snow patches to work across. Some mud and a few very small streams. Marmots and Pica galore. Still some good colors in bloom. Try to pick a day with a good forcast and it should be a most excellent hike. Appears to be somewhat popular. NN up.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.