Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > So I'm going to spend a few days on Whidbey Island
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 5:12 pm 
My wife and I are spending a few days in late September on Whidbey Island. We are taking our two dogs, and am having trouble finding pet friendly lodging. Any recommendations on places to stay? Things to do? Places to eat?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 pm 
Can't help with lodging, but Fort Casey is fun for mutts, even on leash. If you promise not to tell, the upper parking lot at Fort Casey is often empty and looks good for off leash, as is the beach beneath the big guns if it isn't crowded. Deception Pass has several out of the way picnic areas near the campground and those beaches can be pretty empty on weekdays. There is an immense, legal, off leash park at The Greenbank Farm on the southern end of the island. Exquisite sniffage and running about for your hounds. There are also a myriad of DNR trails near Langley and the new Trillium property near Greenbank too. Both should be available on Google search or DNR website. Have fun. Whidbey is infinitely better than the San Juans, in my opinion. Tom

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 7:06 pm 
http://www.thecoupevilleinn.com/ ]The Coupeveille Inn has dog friendly rooms in a limited number. Nice place, comfortable handy to the best of the attractions ( ebby / Ft Casey) Across the street from a very nice resturant if you wan a little splurge. They have one unit ( on the ground floor/ sub basement) that has a kitchenette in it. I use to stay there for horse shows and it is nice without beeing too posh. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.tyeehotel.com/ This place is basic funky, with an attached diner Not sure about pet rules economical ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ The Coachman in Oak Harbor. I have not been there but their motel in Bellingham is a nice basic place. Better than many and a good price. They have many different type rooms but do not state their pet policy. Their Oak Harbor place sounds a bit more tricked out.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 pm 
I lived on The Island for a good number of years so here are some tips (and btw, I worked in Coupeville for 8 of those long years): Please for the love of everything avoid the Tyee. Please. You can see out the doors when inside. It is right near the high school so isn't so quiet. It ain't charming. The C Inn though is neat. Run from the Captain Whidbey. Please. RUN!!!!! Do not stop, do not wonder. Just hit the gas. Never, ever, even dream of speeding in the corridor between the Keystone ferry dock/Ft. Casey and Coupeville. You WILL get a ticket. Press hard. Do stroll the old town, it does have some charm. You can eat well. But eat early. Coupeville closes up town pretty early for most folks. DO GO TO Ebey's Landing and walk the bluff and beach. Go explore Ft. Ebey and the Kettle System. Go check out West Beach in its many areas. But remember that if you stay in Oak Harbor your trip won't be as nice. OH is a dump. The land of fast food joints and young men. Go for the beaches and forest - or even drive down to Langely and check out all the beaches down there - and the lovely walking town!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 8:41 am 
Here's a link to the lodging page Whidbey/Camano Island tourism page. It notes if the lodging is pet friendly. Langley is a great place. We had lunch at The Braeburn because we wanted to try the local brew. The brewery is next door but wasn't open at lunch during the week. We also wanted to check out some of the Farmers Markets but didn't have time.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 10:22 am 
The Coupeville FM is very nice - especially since they moved it over to the library smile.gif

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 12:11 pm 
A friend owns this little corner of paradise: VRBO paradise It is pet friendly.

ChrisSJI

ChrisSJI
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 4:52 pm 
My family has a place near Langley so I know S Whidbey best. Langley is a neat town to spend an afternoon. The brewery is hit or miss (mostly miss) but as an alternative the wine shop on 2nd street is great, super nice people, cheap tastings and good prices. Primo Bistro above the Star Store has good food and great views on the deck in the evening, also good happy hour. Useless Bay Coffee is great and I've heard good things about their BBQ. Coupville is also fun to explore. I'm a big fan of breakfast (cinnamon rolls) at the Kneed and Feed. Do eat downstairs though, the upstairs resembles everything that Coastal Living magazine deems perfect, the downstairs is original and more homey. I've also heard Mosquito Fleet is good breakfast. If you're staying on the island for a week, it may be worth making a day trip over to Port Townsand via the Keystone Ferry to explore the town or take a day hike in the Olympics. Ft Ebey is a great. Also Double Bluffs is a wonderful beach for watching the sunset. Most all the beaches are dog friendly so let your pooches run wild!

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 9:28 pm 
Thanks for the replies. I've got 3 nights booked at the Coupeville Inn (Tue-Thur) later in September. Seems like I won't have any problems finding things to do for those few days.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 10:39 pm 
Parking next to the ferry dock and walking on to Port Townsend is a lot of fun and most everything is in walking distance as well!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 11:00 pm 
Double bluff beach is off-leash after the first little ways, maybe a 1/4 mile.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Sep 10, 2014 4:03 am 
Bumping Old Thread, Whidbey Tour yesterday = exquisite as always. Lots of fishermen beach fishing near Deception Pass Bridge. Seas calm. Loon looking for lunch at Ebey Bluff trailhead. Trillium Property has public parking, signage, road walking. Wow, had my mountain bike on car top carrier...$10.00 extra for overheight on ferry and I didn't have time to catch next boat AND take it off and put it in car. Lesson learned! Oh well, at least there were two ferries and neither one sank or broke or ran into a condo or something random like that. Tom