Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Alaska Aurora Trip Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LichenHiking

LichenHiking
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 3:38 pm 
Anyone ever gone on a trip to Alaska specifically to see the Northern Lights? Being that we are at a solar maximum, I was hoping to make it up there this winter to have the best shot at catching them. I am not sure whether to go through a (seemingly pricey) tour option, or try to coordinate something on my own. I am assuming that hiking between December - March isn't going to be my cup of tea because I am unfamiliar with snow camping, so a more cushy hotel based option is necessary. I am not sure where to start either way and was hoping someone had some experience/advice.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 4:12 pm 
Well, last year i went up to the Yukon Territory near Dawson to see the Northern Lights and hike in the backcountry. Karen2 (Canadian) had studied that area for years and planned for us to have multiple extra days to see the Northern Lights. You see the weather in that particular area is quite fickle, cloudy 50% of the time. Even with the extra days budgeted into our trip, we had zero sightings of the Northern Lights. Beautiful area though - worth hiking and if you catch the Lights, it is a bonus. Trip report here - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8009010&highlight=

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 4:19 pm 
Seen them quite often North of Kamloops at Wells Gray and Bowrun.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DarkHelmet

DarkHelmet
PostTue Sep 16, 2014 4:32 pm 
A friend of mine went last week. Some of his photos are highlited here: http://www.livescience.com/47832-aurora-light-up-alaska-skies-photos.html

gb

gb
PostWed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am 
I understand that many people go to the Fairbanks area in the month of April. You could probably do it on your own but tours are run up in that area. They provide transportation to areas (still snow covered) away from the lights of Fairbanks. I think if you go to "Geophysical institute Aurora forecast" there may be some links. Otherwise, I've seen this by googling about Auroras, or get more specific and google Auroras Fairbanks or something along those lines. I don't recall whether Fairbanks is north of the Arctic Circle or not, but it is very close. We drove to Fairbanks one time (in summer to visit the Brooks range) and took a 200 mile 8 passenger commercial flight to Bettles, which was definitely north of the Arctic Circle. Bettles is pretty much end of the line until you get north of the Brooks range on the north slope.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Sep 17, 2014 8:57 am 
If I remember correctly, Cicely has a B & B that offers aurora borealis viewing packages. OK, that was not value-added...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 23, 2014 12:53 pm 
You want to go to Fairbanks as others have suggested, spring is best as equinox periods tend to be the best bet for Auroral activity and we're eating into the fall run as of today! I'd suggest if this is on your to do list, definitely do it...the solar max has been a really lousy one and sooner is better. Some solar researchers fear another decline in the activity of the next peak, and with the last solar min running so long and so low, your best shot for the lights could be ASAP for many years to come, perhaps decades if we get really unlucky and we're heading into a period of grand minimums. On the flipside, Fairbanks is far enough north that even there some aurorae may be visible through solar lows, but of course there's no question the periods near maxes are the best.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostWed Sep 24, 2014 10:57 am 
I've spent the last 6 years in Delta, 100 miles east of Fairbanks. The advice so far has been pretty accurate, although I would HIGHLY recommend March over April. Things get mushy and then brown pretty quick after the beginning of April most years, and by the end of the month, it doesn't get completely dark at night. Before March, conditions are too dark and cold for most people to enjoy a trip up here. People don't talk about it much, but late September is a pretty good time to come see the aurora as well, since it's a lot warmer, and generally hasn't snowed yet. For locations, the roads and hills north of Fairbanks are where people usually go. Parks Highway along the ridge toward Nenana, Ester Dome, Murphy Dome, Elliot Highway out toward the White Mountains, Cleary Summit, and Chena Hot Springs Road. The hot springs are great since you can sit outside in the hot water and watch the lights.. And if you get bored, you can get creative with your frozen hair. The best aurora I've ever seen was out the Dalton Highway, just past Wiseman in the Brooks Range. But that's quite an adventure.. If you're going for photography, the two main highways through the Alaska Range (Parks and Richardson) provide more dramatic foregrounds, though you need a little more solar activity.