Forum Index > Gear Talk > Creating hole for bladder hose in a pack without one
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jared_j

jared_j
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 11:14 pm 
For various reasons, I really want a Patagonia Ascensionist 25L (it would be a handy little summit pack on technical climbs, and looks great for double-duty on day trips without a huge kit, which is to say most of my day trips). What would really make me happy would be to modify it such that I could run a hose out of it. I went to the store to test-drive one with my bladder, and running the hose out of the single closure seemed sucky (and plus my current hose was too short for such a proposition). What I would like to do is cut a small hole in the pack near the top right or left corner of the pack and reinforce it somehow so as to not grow beyond what I cut initially. I don't know squat about this sort of stuff. I've searched around for DIY info and found a lot of detail about sewing ones' own packs or sacks, but am unsure of what might be done for making a small hole as I desire. I welcome advice from experienced pack surgeons. Should I just save myself the trouble and look at a different pack?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 29, 2014 11:36 pm 
Do you really need to cut a hole? -- Can't you just run the hose out through the top? It is possible to get a longer length of hose. Also "hydration compatible" packs typically have addtional features for hanging the bladder inside and also holding the mouth piece on the shoulder strap. You'll probally want to think about adding those kinds of features as well. In terms of the "port" for the tube -- One simple approach is stitch an additional piece of reinforcing material over where you want the hole (maybe an inch or so on either side of where the hole will be) Then cut a hole through and heat seal the edges of the cut. (with a soldering iron, flame heated cheap screw driver, etc ) Seattle Fabrics sells suitable materials. Or just use water bottles and take occatioanl breaks to drink and eat --- if you aren't "adventure racing" do you really need to save the extra few minutes that drinking from a hose over the course of a day does for you...

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 6:22 am 
Duct tape. Put a square of duct tape on both sides of the fabric and make your slice. Not a "great" solution but should do the job and is much easier than stitching up around the cut to keep it from traveling.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:38 am 
Right, a button hole. Easy DIY mod if you sew. Best to place it along a seam, which is easy to reinforce. McHale now does this standard, right or left side per customer preference. Be sure to make the button hole large enough so that your mouthpiece can easily pass. I modded my other, older, McHale packs by sewing in a button hole. I like the more direct routing with the buttonhole, and routing the tube out the top if I'm in roll top mode. Also, I had Dan sew in a loop on the inside back of my pack so that you can hang my bladder.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 7:56 am 
Just cut a slit long enough to permit your hose through then smear/work Seamgrip into the fabric around the slit for a half inch or so. Sounds like you don't want to sew so I'd recommend this as an alternative. I looked up a photo of the pack you mentioned, looks like the upper corners of the pack won't have much stress/stretching/pulling as they don't connect to the shoulder straps directly. I'd just cut a slit up in one of those upper corners near your back, smear some Seamgrip around the slit and call it good.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am 
The upper body is 210D ripstop, so seam sealer will slow the fraying -- so will merely using a hot knife to create the slit -- and add a wee bit of strength, but there's a good chance it'll eventually rip. Surely OP must know someone with basic sewing skills who can do the mod. There are two obvious approaches: (a) (preferred) release the seam at the top side for a couple inches, sew nylon tape along the fabric edges to create slit-shaped port; or (b) sew on reinforcement patch with a button hole. Both are half-hour projects at the most. ETA: If OP really wants to avoid sewing (I don't see evidence that he does), at least use a hot knife to create the slit (thus melting the threads to prevent fraying) and apply a patch of Tenacious Tape.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 pm 
Funny, I spent a half hour or so sewing up the hose holes on my Kelty Tioga to make it more mouse-resistant.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 12:17 pm 
Half hour to sew a slit closed? That would take me 45 seconds. Anyway, I've never seen a mouse so small that it could enter in the slit on my McHales.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 12:30 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
ETA: If OP really wants to avoid sewing
Another approach if wanting to avoid sewing, is to use urethane coated cordura or urethane coated ripstop for the reinforcing piece and glue it to the inside using Gorilla Glue or other urethane glue. Gorilla Glue is a bit stiff, but that might be OK for this application. I've used Gorilla Glue to glue patches over large holes in a thermarest with satisfactory results.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 1:18 pm 
Grommet tool. Grommets are cheap, light and strong. Grommets!

jared_j

jared_j
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 1:47 pm 
Thanks for the advice, all. I think I'm gonna try the recommendations crystallized as bigsteve's "Option A". I've got some scrap nylon around to practice on first. As someone else mentioned, typically one hangs ones' bladder. Adding a loop to the inside is a sewing job that I think I've got covered.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 3:22 pm 
The Source hydration bags have a fitting that allows them to disconnect the hose from the bag without leakage. I just leave the hose in the pack and fill the bag.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
contour5

contour5
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 4:02 pm 
Quote:
does it have a mouthpiece gizmo on the end of the hose, as mentioned above? would it fit through the hole? and
REI has a pretty good selection of quick-connect couplers, hoses, shut-off valves and other assorted hardware for designing your own system.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
That would take me 45 seconds.
Gosh, you're so awesome. I couldn't even clear my family's mess off the dinner table, bring my pack and sewing kit to the table, and thread a needle in 45 seconds.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 01, 2014 7:31 am 
Conrad wrote:
thread a needle
I keep my sewing machine needle threaded between uses