Forum Index > Food & Grub > is anyone NOT eating food out of a baggie?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 6:56 pm 
That's generally my style as well. I've got a combo cooking pot/insulated coffee mug/eating pot all rolled into one that I like really well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ldyblade

ldyblade
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:29 pm 
Well, I don't EAT out of the bag as I am usually cooking for two. We have the GSI Dualist and use one set of the bowls. I use a combo of FBC and cooking in the pot, such as a version of my Thanksgiving recipe. I FBC the stuffing and potatoes each separately and rehydrate the chicken in the pot. I add the gravy mix once it is tender. Potatoes and stuffing is divided into bowls and chicken gravy poured on top. I can just throw everything into one FB and just add hot water for a quick dinner or lunch, but it's nice to have it more like a regular meal I would eat at home, too. Just more work... smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:36 pm 
ldyblade wrote:
nice to have it more like a regular meal I would eat at home
there it is. but hey, to each his own. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 8:37 pm 
last time I ran into Ernie I asked him what he was having for dinner. fresh halibut steaks. now how could you eat that out of the pan?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
grasspiper
Ultralighter

grasspiper
Ultralighter
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 10:26 pm 
To eat from the Mountain House bag, or whatever, cut it in half. I myself don't eat from any bag. Like many others here I also like to cook on the trail rather than cook at home. For one I don't have time to cook twice, but also because I don't have time to cook twice. Not to mention, I already store weeks worth of dried food at my house, so I can just grab a handful of each ingredient and some spices. Go Alison on that thread length.

The more you know, the less you carry.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:30 am 
there's some stuff you just can't eat out of a bag.
raspberry_turnovers_080613
raspberry_turnovers_080613

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:24 pm 
I dehydrate left overs all year and make fruit leathers in the summer. It's so much cheaper than store bought backpacking foods and tastes better too. I don't eat out of the bags though. I have concerns about the chemicals released into the water when pouring hot water into a bag.

l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 9:56 am 
For me, it really depends on how long I'm out on the trail and what I'm up to. If it's just a short, quick overnighter, I'll often bring "real food." Maybe something as simple as a Subway or the fixings for a French Dip. When I was a little younger, I would pack a small frying pan and have a salmon- or swordfish steak for dinner the first night-- let it marinade in a freezer bag with some lemon and lime juice, and all you'd really need to do is brown it! Another favorite was the TJ's Cioppino. It's frozen, with a separate bag for stock and one for the seafood bits. Very nice on a chilly fall evening. For the most part, I'm a freeze dried eater, simply because of weight and convenience. I always re-package (and season) my meals ahead of time rather than pack all of that extra plasti-coated foil crap around. Just empty the contents into a 1qt freezer bag. Those pack much more nicely into my Ursack. I use two little Ti pots-- one for boiling water, one for eating out of. I boil 1 litre per meal, which is enough for my meal, clean up and any hot drink I might want. Pretty pedestrian, I know, but i don't generally spend much time in camp when I'm backpacking. Car-camping is when I get my redneck gourmet on. biggrin.gif

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
GranolaGirl

GranolaGirl
PostSat Sep 27, 2014 2:42 pm 
Ski- great suggestions I'll have to try these for sure!

strider

strider
PostSun Sep 28, 2014 3:27 pm 
My cup and spoon fill all my kitchen requirements, plus some extras. GI issue steel canteen cup with steel snap-handle. Cup holds and easily boils 3 cups water. Build dry ingredient meals that need 1.5 cups water. Fill cup half full. Bring to boil, add chow to cup and cook, simmer, or steep as needed. One large spoon to stir, then eat with once chow is done. Boil a cup of rinse water in the cup, rinse, and the meal's done. Boil what u need for evening libations. No plate or other cook-pot needed. The xtras? Cup is useful digging tool. Mine has done catholes, snowcaves, clams, even a two foot deep hot spot near some idiot's not-put-out campfire. With the canteen in the cup and full, the cup is an effective hammer. Another handy extra is the canteen, which is handy for tossing a line over a tree branch. It's very old school and heavy, but I've been carryin' it for 40 years so far and can't see any reason to change.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Sep 30, 2014 10:54 am 
Regarding dehydrated chickpea dahl
Ski wrote:
Navy salad wrote:
I haven't tried dehydrating this, but I plan to do so soon and will update this recipe to tell how it turned out.
so... what was the outcome?
Well, for several reasons, it wasn't until this summer that I tried it and the result was that it turned out better than I expected! Nearly as good as before dehydrating. Note that it had been freshly dehydrated -- some of these recipes deteriorate noticeably when they get old. (Like the 4 years old tamale pie I used up this summer, despite sitting in the freezer after dehydrating).