Forum Index > Trail Talk > Truite au bleu?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 1:55 pm 
Apparently, if you poach very fresh trout with the slime still on in acidulated (added lemon juice or vinegar) water it turns bright blue and is considered a gourmet treat. Has anyone actually tried this? On the same subject, has anyone found a good, lightweight, backpacking frying pan? I bought the no-stick-coated titanium frying pan at REI for use over a SnowPeak propane stove. It's featherweight and decent size, but two thumbs down. It smells like burning plastic and doesn't fry like a normal frying pan.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 2:52 pm 
I have poached fish before and like them that way--I don't know about vinegar, I've used wine, lemons, onions and other stuff in water and they've never turned blue-I'll have to experiment with that one. I bought a small frying pan from Cabela's-probably not as light weight as some, the handle came off or foldd up or something like that to allow for easier packing-it was large enough to fry smaller trout whole and larger ones that had been dismembered. Might check Cabelas.com and see if they still sell it-I've used it a lot and liked it.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Dante

Dante
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 3:08 pm 
I haven't tried it that way. Sounds interesting. I have a thick 10" nonstick aluminum frying pan by Mirro with a folding handle. I think it was an REI special. It is very similar to my father-in-law's (the best cook in the extended family) favorite 12" nonstick aluminum frying pan. We used it to fry up four big trout we caught somewhere in the Enchantments a few years back. I don't fish anymore, so it's been relegated to car camping duty. My kids have expressed an interest in fishing and my wife LOVES fresh fish, so I've been thinking about coming out of retirement wink.gif P.S. You might also check out GSI's Hard Anodized Aluminum frying pans. Backpacker gave them an Editor's Choice award and it's basically the same technology as commercial anodized aluminum pans.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 3:47 pm 
I use a cheap, lightweight cake pan for a fry pan. Square is best to fit fish. You can get non-stick coating or not, your preference. I use one of those pincher handles that work on rolled edge pans for both the fry pan and my water pan. No sense carrying extra handles. I've never seen an actual fry pan nearly as light as the cake pan I use.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
salish

salish
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 4:06 pm 
Brian, is your cake pan stout enough to be used on an open fire/coals or is it strictly for stovetop?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 5:48 pm 
Been using 'em on the fire for years. Works great there and on the stove.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
salish

salish
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 6:05 pm 
Thanks Brian.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 8:53 am 
Sticks are good for cooking fish. They are cheap. Lightweight too. In fact you never have to carry them. Indians were using them for years.......

Art is an adventure.