Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olympics 8/30/14. 9 days, 11 passes, broken rib, GPS error
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Oct 02, 2014 1:41 am 
Well done story and trip. FYI, as a health care provider, expect 6-10 weeks before you get resolution from the pain of a rib fracture. Agree with your comments on the painkillers expecially if your solo. Tylenol is generally harmless when taken at appropriate doses. Vast majority of rib fractures are benign and on rare occasion pleural tears and worse occur. Not a whole lot to do or even test for with rib injuries. A chest XR is usually it, if you look fine at the ED. Glad you made it out fine!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Oct 02, 2014 7:44 am 
Ouch Wolffie. Thanks for the TR and pics. Great area not to get hurt in! Agree with CT, but would add from personal experience (way too many) that a muscle relaxer helped me more then any other medicine for rib fractures. (We tend to forget about the muscles between the ribs that are torn when the rib breaks or for that matter, bends.)

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Oct 02, 2014 9:09 am 
Loved your detailed story broken ribs really suck you cant lay down for while and cough and laughing are pure hell. I had a incident on summit of Mt Mc Laughlin a easy day walk up my son and I ended up spending the night under a boulder at 7,500 ft. Took me over 9 hours to get to the car the next morning a trip that took us four hours to make the 9,500 summit the day before. But all is good for me to the wife and I did a twelve plus mile loop around Cold water lake last week. I do have a PLB and that morning almost activated it on Mc Laughlin it gets little traffic. I wont even get into how light we traveled but it was a dam cold and windy night up there in shorts. The first time that I can remember not having extra cloths, And The first time I had been in Medford and it was in the seventies in August shakehead.gif Scary what a pretty minor painful injury teaches one. You did good my friend.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostThu Oct 02, 2014 10:09 am 
Great trip, report and photos. I'm sorry to hear about your injury and hope that you'll recover fully and soon. We passed through Lillian basin just three days after your accident, though in the opposite direction. That, and the sobering past experience of gimping my way out after acute injury miles from the TH, give me some appreciation for what you had to go through to get from your accident site over to Low Pass where you spent the night, and then from there out to Obstruction Point the next day. Thanks for sharing your experience with us. On the plus side, you got to see some of the best country the Olympics have to offer.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Oct 02, 2014 3:03 pm 
wolffie wrote:
The old trail was quite hard to follow – I picked it up at the NE corner of the big flat basin below Lake Lillian – I’d find find it, lose it, find it, lose it. Some cairns. It probably descended at one point, and I stayed high to preserve elevation.
Gosh, I tried what, from your description, is the identical route a few years ago. It appeared to be the old trailbed with occasional cairns, with elk tracks but no boot tracks. Trying as you did to stay high, I found the route had been cut by two steep gullies on the lower north slope of McCartney Peak. Tried to cross the first gully, lost footing, slid down it, self-arrested by grabbing some limbs. So reading your account, I could only think "there but for the grace..."
wolffie wrote:
...the unnamed pass that I’m calling “Lillian Pass”, almost 6000’, WSW of Gladys Lake on the main-drag trail.
The 5850' pass, on the ridge south of Moose, to which the old trail switchbacks up from Gladys Lake, is called Low Pass in OMR's climbers guide.
wolffie wrote:
The walk out was uneventful, except I met rangers searching for somebody who was 3 days overdue. That was grim, didn’t sound good, but the guy was just late from a navigation problem.
That S&R over Labor Day weekend was for a hiker headed for Grand Pass who, in fog, apparently inadvertently got off the main trail and went over Low Pass into the Lillian River drainage. He decided to continue down the Lillian, and walked out the Elwha 3 days later. article Thanks for sharing your great story and photos. Heal well!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva