Forum Index > Trail Talk > Best Northern WA Hikes w/ Dog
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just say Mo

Just say Mo
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 7:31 pm 
Hello, Does anyone have recommendations for great trails to do with your dog?

"There is no spoon." -Neo
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 7:53 pm 
I should think that you could get away with any trail if your dog is on a leash! Sure I know that they arent allowed in many places, but people wont have a problem if they are on a leash! Otherwise, dogs often intimidate people! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 9:24 pm 
People will have a problem if you take a dog where it's not allowed, leashed or not. But that's not the topic here. I've seen dogs frequently on the Fragrance Lake trail in Larrabee State Park, as well as several trails in the I-90 corridor. They always seem to be enjoying themselves. smile.gif

catwoman

catwoman
PostSun Sep 08, 2002 11:25 pm 
As far as I'm aware, they're allowed on any trails except in the national parks. So, no go at Mt Rainier NP, Oly NP, and I'm assuming the North Cascades NP, too.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 7:23 am 
This has long been a confusing issue....and if you want likely the best source up updated information and also (finally) a place to hopefully begin the process to better educate people on how to be better trail stewards with their poochies in tow, Dan Nelson has a new book coming out very soon now "Hiking With Dogs: Western Washington". Sure, it will serve as an idea list to many, but as we all know basically any trail is a dog-hiking trail. His main purpose in this book is to educate people on how to make not only their own trip with their dog great, but equally as important how to make the trip enjoyable and peaceful for EVERYONE else out on the trail.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 8:25 am 
Alan, I believe they specifically do not allow them in the National Parks.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 8:32 am 
Read the book . . .
My wife saw some reference to a "Best hikes with a dog" book in the Sunday Times/PI. She's getting it for her mom and her mom's dog Nebish (which I call "the wolf without dignity" wink.gif ).

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 3:25 pm 
Just say Mo wrote:
Hello, Does anyone have recommendations for great trails to do with your dog?
The best place isn't "trails" at all; it's gated logging roads. If you're into maps, that's the place to start. Decide what area you're interested in and start looking. You can do it on Terraserver or Topozone on the web, or one of the Washington Atlas/Gazateers for starters. Then get the appropriate USGS map to zero in, and to take with you. If Green Trails covers the area you're interested in, that's even better, because they identify most of the roads - and also give you a pretty good idea of road quality, which the others don't do at all. One good, nearby place is the Weyerhaeuser Tree Farm. You can start from the middle, from the North Fork County Road; or from the north end, FS 62 in Proctor Trough; or from any number of places along the western boarder. The nice thing about gated logging roads is that you will rarely encounter anyone to worry about offending. If your dog is under voice control, you can often let them run off-leash, which you'll both enjoy - and which you must not do on an official trail. It's been pointed out that you can't take your dog hiking in the national parks, but there are logging roads around all the parks, some of which will take you to places and views almost as spectacular as anything inside. Have fun. Stay away from people! rolleyes.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Otter

Otter
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 4:03 pm 
I was recently talking to someone that had to change there plans... i guess gos had been aloud on the trail to engals lake as long as they were on leash...but when they stopped by there recently to go for a short backpack with there dog..there was a sign that said dogs were no longer aloud on that particular trail. I am not sure what all caused the change...but it was thought that lack of clean up had contributed to it... this had been a popular trail for people with dogs in the past. I don't mind coming across dogs on the trail..as long as they are well behaved, friendly and cleaned up after. I find dogs to be far more friendly most of the time than people on some trails...especially more crowded ones. Good luck and have fun!

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Sep 09, 2002 6:25 pm 
Scrooge, My God, you're such a socialite and dog lover! wink.gif

Smokey

Smokey
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 8:51 pm 
Dog Trails
Dogs are NOT allowed on national park trails. One grey area is the PCT in the national parks if you are thru hiking. They are also banned from some other areas, one being the Enchantments. Most popular trails require that dogs be leashed and it's usually indicated on the sign at the start of the trail. Thanks to Scrooge's suggestion from the old WTA board, we often head for Weyerhaeuser country on weekends. Great dog area, Fido doesn't care that it's not the prettiest place on earth. I have Dan Nelson's new dog trail book. Great for new dog owners and hikers. I've got Mondays off. There ain't nobody out there, especially after school starts. The mutt and I are both running around off leash.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 9:24 pm 
Nebish? Is that a short e like Nebbish? Is the dog a likeable nerd with no personality?

Dante

Dante
PostTue Sep 10, 2002 11:15 pm 
ajgoodkids wrote:
Nebish? Is that a short e like Nebbish? Is the dog a likeable nerd with no personality?
Yep. Except it is only likeable (IMO) in the generic sense in which all dogs are likeable. It's primary characteristic is its lack of personality.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 5:32 am 
Nebbish is Yiddish for a person who is a non-entity; a born loser. The difference between a "shlemiel" and a "nebbish" is that you can dislike or get angry with a shlemiel but only pity a nebbish. He is usually the person you forgot to introduce in a group. He would walk his dog in a national park but not even know he was in a national park.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Sep 11, 2002 11:11 am 
It is the perfect name for the dog in question.