Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Anybody read any books by Doug Peacock, rec?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostSun Oct 05, 2014 6:31 pm 
I just saw this fellow speak on CSPAN BookTV. Doug Peacock, author, and friend of Edward Abbey. Has anyone read any of his books? He has written many: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=doug+peacock+books&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=31601253397&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13335184871511040753&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1h568hp9ev_e He was apparently the inspiration for George Hayduke in The Monkey Wrench Gang. Any recommendations?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 3:52 am 
gb, Grizzly Years. Read it a long time ago. Strange book. He questions those of us who stay on trails, hike in groups, wear bright colors, pull permits, etc. Some good info on GRIZZ country though. He and a few close friends go off trail backpacking LOOKING for GRIZZ. Mostly in WY and Glacier I believe. Tom

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 8:43 am 
I too read Grizzly Years in the late 1990s. What I recall: interesting at times, not well-crafted prose, and he rants at times.
gb wrote:
Any recommendations?
Charles Bowden's superb Blue Desert, which I also first read in the late 1990s. When Bowden died a few weeks ago I posted an RIP thread and nobody responded.

reststep

reststep
PostMon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am 
I also read Grizzly Years a number of years ago and really liked it. I learned a lot about grizzlies. It is very worthwhile reading in my opinion. His new book sounds very interesting. I think I will put it on my list. He spent some time working in for the park service in the North Cascades. Thanks for posting about his appearance on BookTV. I had never heard him speak and found it interesting. His appearance on BookTV is available on line here.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir