Forum Index > Pacific NW History > The Golden Tunnel
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
riverbend
bent2300

riverbend
bent2300
PostThu Apr 04, 2013 2:30 pm 
For those of you who want to know. Go past Baring a little way. Turn right on Index Creek Rd. Cross old wooden bridge. Follow till you see another wooden bridge on your right.There will be an old Yellow metal fence off to the side. The area says no trespassing. I leave that one up to you. Cross this bridge. You will come to an electrical building. Just before you will see what looks like an old dry creek bed. This is actually an old road. Hang a left. Follow this road. The key to knowing your on the right track is an old abandoned building along Index creek to your left. It is an old A frame with a deck. KEEP GOING! You will eventually come to a Y in the road. Hang a left. The rest is up to you to discover (:

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
riverbend
bent2300

riverbend
bent2300
PostSat Apr 27, 2013 7:27 pm 
If you go to Index Creek Rd then you are on the right path.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSat Apr 27, 2013 8:40 pm 
As much press as this place seems to get on nwhikers, I suspect even a touron could find it. lol.gif Though I'd probably get lost on the way back out.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
riverbend
bent2300

riverbend
bent2300
PostMon Apr 29, 2013 8:23 am 
The Golden Tunnel does get a lot of hype for some reason. I suspect because nobody want people going up there and trashing the place! Respect the environment and it's history and everyone wins (:

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 9:02 am 
Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 11:18 am 
Jimbo wrote:
http://www.ghosttownsandmines.com/the-news/92-the-golden-tunnel-mine-controversy.html
huh.gif That?! is what all the controversy is about? ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif crazy.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 11:58 am 
Cute isn't it hockeygrin.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Sep 18, 2013 4:09 pm 
Quote:
I decided to do a Google search for the mine and ran across this hostile exchange on NWHikers.net regarding the location of this mine.
lol.gif The new fact I learned from the article is that Money Creek CG was the town of Berlin.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Sep 21, 2013 1:34 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
http://www.ghosttownsandmines.com/the-news/92-the-golden-tunnel-mine-controversy.html
huh.gif That?! is what all the controversy is about? ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif ykm.gif crazy.gif
Thanks Jimbo! Hulks, there is an Upper GT and a Lower GT on different trails that were/are seperated by almost a mile of very steep alpine country. A tram like a ski lift was used and instead of seats there was a big bucket(s) to carry the free-mill gold material from upper to lower GT. It's the only free-mill gold site in Washington. Amazing stuff!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
piping hot

piping hot
PostSun Aug 24, 2014 12:47 pm 
I went to Crater Lake yesterday to see if I could drop over the ridge and get to the Golden Tunnel Mine. No way in heck could you get over the ridge without falling 30 feet to the top of a 70 degree slope. I did spot an old wheel at the top of the ridge above Crater Lake. Nearest I can tell, the Golden Tunnel can be found at N47 43 22.33, W121 32 40.25, WGS84. After seeing it from the ridge top directly north of Crater Lake, the hike/climb from the lake to the top of the ridge, and seeing the face upon which the opening sits, it ain't worth it to me. The two years I spent researching and halfway planning, I'm checking it off my bucket list. If you want some photos, ask. I'll gladly send you some. The flat-ish grassy meadow above the ridge was a fantastic respite. The swim in the lake after falling back down the hill was even better.

Bazetech

Bazetech
PostSat Aug 30, 2014 5:18 pm 
I'd love to have some pictures!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain
Jimbo

Jimbo
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 9:21 am 
Post some pictures, we went up through were the slide came down. It was a BITCH, then we hit the old trail. Ya, I've seen it from the ridge so I can say I've seen it. Did not know there was a lower, we been down below. That's the Money spot hockeygrin.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm 
That looks like a cool site...but it's a bitch kitty of a region with the high relief and wetside brush. I was eyeballing the notch above Crater Lake as described, and indeed it looks pretty severe to approach from the S.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RichP

RichP
PostWed Oct 08, 2014 5:47 pm 
There is a brush free route cleared out above Crater Lake to about 4200.' After that, the brush is minimal. It leaves from the campsite on the north end of the lake and peters out in avy debris after 100 yards or so. It starts back up clearly to the right of the waterfall a few hundred yards above the lake.

Lookout Billerina

Lookout Billerina
PostFri Oct 10, 2014 6:58 pm 
"I'd love to have some pictures!" Here you go.
Lwr portion of route (approx.) to the mill site.
Lwr portion of route (approx.) to the mill site.
Upr portion of the approx. route to the mill site.
Upr portion of the approx. route to the mill site.
Upper portion of the approx. route to the tunnel.
Upper portion of the approx. route to the tunnel.
That would be 1899.
That would be 1899.
A small winch with a "straw line" that is east of the ridge crest leading down to the tunnel.
A small winch with a "straw line" that is east of the ridge crest leading down to the tunnel.
No Photoshop - these colors are what we saw.
No Photoshop - these colors are what we saw.
The tram's bull wheel still lies below the tunnel on the tram station rock platform.
The tram's bull wheel still lies below the tunnel on the tram station rock platform.
The station was built up using talus from the vicinity, plus log cribbing.  Amazing hard work.
The station was built up using talus from the vicinity, plus log cribbing. Amazing hard work.
Tunnel wall [L] as seen from ridge above Crater Lk.
Tunnel wall [L] as seen from ridge above Crater Lk.
Salmon Crk valley from ridge above Crater Lk.
Salmon Crk valley from ridge above Crater Lk.
Area of the mill site.
Area of the mill site.