Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Annual Winter Blues Thread
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Smokey

Smokey
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 3:22 pm 
For all you natives of the Pacific Northwest, your winters on the west side of the mountains just ain't normal. You actually get to see the sun in lots of other places during Winter. A couple of folks I know have never spent a Winter anywhere but here. What a skewed perspective of Winter they must have. smile.gif Today ain't bad though. Godlygirl, you'll only find me in Starbucks once a year, to get the Mountain Music Lounge CD. Out now, I'd better hurry.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mgd

mgd
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 4:22 pm 
I wonder if it is more difficult to deal with winter in the PNW, or up in the Arctic? The cool weather did seem to come on fast this year, but today has been fantastically s smile.gif nny.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 5:24 pm 
It's sunny down there today? It's been windy and rainy up here. Let's hear it for wood stoves!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
mike

mike
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 5:47 pm 
Quote:
It's sunny down there today?
Yep, sun with just enough clouds to make a nice sky. But blowing a full gale. Was a nice day for Stink Pup and I to go for a walk at the beach.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 6:17 pm 
gary wrote:
Quark, a week ago or so, you mentioned that you'd either be celebrating or drinking right about now. If you're presently bummed out, I'm guessing you're not celebrating. But hang in there, sh## happens for a reason.
Awww, thanks, Gary. The celebrating or drinking was just that I was hoping I'd have a full-time job. Didn't come through. But that only means I'm that much more interested in next week - what's going to happen....? Now, I don't want everyone to think my thread is a cry for help. I'm not crazy or anything, I just get the winter blues on occasion. The winter blues, my naturopath said, are completely normal - hibernation time for humans. She also said I should quit drinking coffee to alleviate the blues, but heck, like I said - I ain't crazy, the whore, so I ain't gonna quit drinking coffee for chrissakes. Sheesh, what a wanker-doctor. Not in tune with reality - O like I'm gonna give up coffee. But the winter blues=it's just natural theory I adopted nonetheless. Luckily my freinds and my beau are aware of my winter blues, so they know when I'm acting wierd(er) and hibernate more than usual, there's nothing wrong. I had a room mate once who grocery shopped and cooked for me in winter, just to make sure I was well fed and healthy!

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 10:18 pm 
I moved up from California in 1991 (ick! a transplant!). The hardest thing to get used to was the short winter days. Go to work it's dark - leave for home it's dark already. I can handle the rain but the short days are hard. I'm very lucky to have an office with a big window looking out over Bear Creek and a huge pumpkin patch. I get lots of light through the window. I also take a walk around the building once, twice, maybe three times during the day. That helps a lot. And mmmm, coffee in the morning. coffee.gif

Let me stand next to your fire
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 10:36 pm 
Key-rist. Here I thought we had us a thread about cool music. Listen. If you just keep drinking, it'll be spring afore you knows it. souse.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 11:10 pm 
kleet wrote:
Key-rist. Here I thought we had us a thread about cool music.
Well, if you'd stop thinkin', you'd finally stop bein' wrong. Ever think about that? Who rattled your cage? You never post at night. Only losers post on a website forum on a Saturday night. Sheesh, what a loser.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Smokey

Smokey
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 11:13 pm 
kleet wrote:
Key-rist. Here I thought we had us a thread about cool music.
Well, since you brought it up first. These guys are in Grants Pass. Blues Images dot com edit: old enough to no longer care about being a loser

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSat Oct 30, 2004 11:31 pm 
Quark wrote:
Who rattled your cage? You never post at night. Only losers post on a website forum on a Saturday night. Sheesh, what a loser.
mad.gif rant.gif hairy.gif stooges.gif blah.gif waah.gif bawl.gif hurl.gif Hey, this time of year makes me feel...... dizzy.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostSun Oct 31, 2004 9:06 am 
Smokey wrote:
old enough to no longer care about being a loser
Ain't that the truth--I consider this one of the advantages of turning into an oldster. (The creaky old body part, though, is a drag.) My prescription for the winter blues: plenty o' alcohol.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSun Oct 31, 2004 9:39 am 
at 11:10 PM on a perfectly good SATURDAY NIGHT, Quirk wrote:
Only losers post on a website forum on a Saturday night. Sheesh, what a loser.
I know you are, but what am I?

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSun Oct 31, 2004 11:17 am 
Quote:
I moved up from California in 1991 (ick! a transplant!).
Don't feel too bad. I moved here from Cali in 1990.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Smokey

Smokey
PostSun Oct 31, 2004 10:59 pm 
dizzy.gif The SAD formula.

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Nov 01, 2004 8:42 am 
I have no use for low clouds, with or without rain. But I'll have to say, the shorter, wetter, gloomier days seem to just be part of the fall program. I can make peace with the layers of dead leaves covering dead ferns. Before I have the chance to get tired of fall, layers of snow cover up the whole rotting mess. This time of year is pretty busy for me anyway; I'm not sure I have enough time to miss the sunlight. My time for going nuts is in March and April. I'm sick of winter. And winter seems to take forever to recede. As it does, it reveals a mushy sea of leftover death that actually complements the bleak skies above. That's when I it the wall. This next year, I'm going to buy a little more gas and try to exploit the purported magic of the "Easton Line." Anything to get out of the dreary compost heap that is early spring on the west side.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."