Forum Index > Gear Talk > Frogg Toggs? anybody have experience with them?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wolffie

wolffie
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 10:47 am 
Anybody have experience with some of the newer Frogg Toggs products? I have an older-model "ProAction" suit that's quite light, durable and seemed to work well the few times I tried it -- I remember hiking uphill with overnight gear in light rain, and it breathed better than any "breathable" goretex-type fabric I've ever worn. Haven't tried it in heavy or prolonged rain. The only reason I rejected it was because it's not available in a bright color for hunter safety. The jacket's small spiral zipper started separating, but I think they've gone to a bigger zipper, and anyway it was a slider problem that I fixed by squeezing it carefully with a pliers and lubing the zipper. The "ProAction" pants have a tight zippered cuff above the boot; I'd prefer a bell-bottom type pant that goes over the boot to shed water. I just leant the suit to a kid who's going to the Olympics, so maybe I'll get a report from him. Anyway, I noticed they have new products with a "hybrid" fabric -- they call it "ToadSkinz" -- it has a shell -- a bit more expensive and heavier, but available in visibiliity colors. Anybody have firsthand experience with this stuff? Also, the "Dri Ducks" suits are ultralight, ultracheap, and ultra-ultrafragile, but they're OK for the Utah desert where you don't wear rain gear often.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 12:44 pm 
I've used their Tekk Toads suit for work raingear for several years. It is extremely light and comfortable to allow for outdoor work and has put up with quite a bit of abuse. After a long, long day it begins to show signs of getting saturated and "failing" - but that's after all day in a heavy rain. I've never taken it hiking, as it is bulkier than Goretex and pack space is a premium.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Dante

Dante
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 1:00 pm 
I used to own a set of FroggToggs and I still own a set of DriDucks that I keep in my car in case I have to change a tire or chain up in crappy weather. Both are OK rainwear, IMO--especially for the money. They both breathe reasonably well, and they have both kept me dry in fairly heavy rain. I just prefer a woven fabric waterproof breathable shell (currently the Integral Designs Cruiser in eVent fabric). Most people's biggest concern about FrogToggs and DriDucks is durability. The laminates aren't as tough as a heavier woven nylon fabric, but they're tough enough for most purposes.

PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostTue Oct 14, 2014 3:48 pm 
I have a driducks jacket that just made it through its third summer of hiking/backpacking. No complaints. DEFINITELY not for bushwacking.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:26 pm 
Can't say I was impressed with mine. They were fine for canoeing, but not for hiking. Way steamy. The fit wasn't great either--kind of a bomber jacket thing that was too short. They were cheap at Cabela's, so maybe I didn't use their premier product.

bkellygr

bkellygr
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 9:29 pm 
I guess it depends on time of year and what you need. I normally have a cheap goretex cabelas jacket and goretex military surplus pants for heavy rain, winter, and dayhikes. They are more durable. But I purchased the FrogToggs DriDucks this past year for a backpacking trip. I wanted to conserve weight and didn't want to spend alot. I would have hiked in a tyvek suit or poncho if I didn't find this alternative. The DriDucks were purchased at the Sports Authority and were reasonable on price. The pants and jacket weighed about 10.5 oz with the bag (which is lighter than my goretex jacket). They met my need to have something to where during the backpacking trip if it rained (which it did a couple times). They worked fine. Seems so lightweight that durability could be a problem, but I didn't have a problem on limited uses. But if they were damaged on the trail, I'd use ducktape and replace when trip was over. Like yourself, I did try to find alot about them before purchasing. Due to the price, I'd say go for it. I'm happy with my two options. DriDucks for summer backpacking trips. Goretex for the durability on other times of year (snow, heavy rain, dayhikes, heavy brush/off trail).

Canon Shooter

Canon Shooter
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 3:06 pm 
I have purchased several pairs. They hold up fine if you are careful. Tears can be repaired with duct tape. I consider them disposable. I keep a pair in my car. It is hard to find anything wrong with them for the price and weight.