Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 4:35 pm 
Saw Fury yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen a movie so..... intense. eek.gif By the end of the you feel like you are actually in the tank, your dead crewmates sprawled about you, the bodies of German soldiers littering the blood-drenched mud for miles around. I wonder if you can get PTSD from a movie! dizzy.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Saw Fury yesterday, I don't think I've ever seen a movie so..... intense. eek.gif
I haven't seen Fury. Have you seen Lone Survivor? That was definitely intense. Also for just one scene, it's hard to replicate the beach landing in Saving Private Ryan.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 5:28 pm 
I haven't seen either Lone Survivor or Saving Private Ryan, but I'm sure Fury is on a par with them. It was a great movie (I'm reasonably sure it'll win an Academy Award), but I personally found it to be a little too graphic. Fun Fact: Shia Lebouf actually pulled out one of his own teeth and cut his face multiple times for the movie.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 6:44 pm 
Yeah the intensity/graphic nature of some of the war movies can be overwhelming. Probably Saving Private Ryan more than any other movie I've seen. During the storming of the beach the soldiers were cut down by machine gun fire by the hundreds before they could even get onto dry land. I believe it was a realistic depiction of what actually happened during beach landings and it was horrific.

trestle

trestle
PostMon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 pm 
I found Lone Survivor to be a pretty deplorable movie. The action was fine but the script was terrible and the tactics portrayed were laughable. And then to find out the truth of the story... huh.gif Saving Private Ryan is one of the best war movies ever. The scene at Normandy is an excellent test for a surround-sound system.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 7:40 am 
"A Thin Red Line" by Mallick. No big beach scene in the opening, but at least it carrys all the way through.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 am 
That is an amazing film. Great cinematography. The combination of peaceful, lush tropical paradise while a human tragedy, war, takes place simultaneously is a unique view of WWII.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Toni

Toni
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 pm 
up.gif up.gif
For Bill Murray fans. One of the best movies this year!!

There is no Planet B
gb

gb
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:06 pm 
This is Where I Leave You was very enjoyable. It is really just about life - of a grown-up family with some quirky characters. Overall it is pretty funny, at times emotional, and was well done. Justin Bateman's acting, much of which was conveyed through subtle facial expression, was really very good. It is considerably better than reviews would lead you to believe.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:01 am 
Battle Los Angeles (2011) Slightly above average alien invasion actioner. Once again, pesky aliens want our water. If you expect much plot, this is not your film. Chock full of marine oohrah. Explosions. Tons of CGI eye candy. Way too long, but I stuck with it. Worth the buck fitty at the fake Redbox, but just barely. I'm a sucker for invasion stories so had to inventory it. Ebert despised it so much he gave it one of the worst reviews I've ever read from him. It's galling that I agree with everything he said, yet I didn't mind it. On the other hand he says to inform people who liked it that they're idiots, and I've heard that before. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 6:04 pm 
"Snowpiercer" was much ado about nothing. Critically acclaimed, supposedly original and creative. Big disappointment. "Neighbors" didn't do anything for me either. I know you shouldn't expect too much from raunchy comedies...except that they might be funny? It wasn't in my opinion. I should probably avoid anything with Seth Rogen. Such a one trick pony. How does that guy keep getting major acting roles?

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 pm 
Silent Hill: Revelation (2012) A well filmed but helter skelter mess of cliches thrown in a corner where The Ring is on one wall and Hellraiser is on the other. If I had not seen so many horror films I'd be tempted to be scared, but I found myself watching with clinical detachment. Some films get to me, and I have to turn the lights back on. Not this one. High school senior battles her evil twin in a haunted town built on an Indian graveyard. Features icky carnivals, scary clowns, creepy children, magic amulets, strange symbols, notebook with inside information and scary sketches, secret societies. Yes, the usuals. I did say this film had them all. The producer shows a love of fused mutilated human monsters Ala Cenobites or Clive Barker characters. One well rendered boss, an nasty chaotic mannikin monster spider thing all legs and arms in a big ball, with skulls for its many shoes and clutching a seeing head held between outstretched mannikin arms for a better view. Lots of splatter. Sean Bean is adequate as the kidnapped father. Malcom McDowell chews up the scenery in cameo which fits his skill set as the insane grandfather chained in a cell. Apparently this is a sequel to Silent Hill (1?), which itself is a Hollywood remake of a very famous Japanese horror movie taken from a graphic novel. Or something. I'll forget it instantly as its memory melts against a background of scenes from all it's predecessors, and it had nothing to add. Ok, maybe the mannikin creature

mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 5:08 pm 
Short term 12: An institutional home for teenagers who can't be placed into long term foster care might seem like a tricky subject for a movie. However it was really well done, avoiding being either too dark or too sentimental, and not sugar coating anything either. The main protagonists are a young couple who both work at the home and who are themselves former foster children. The young man had a loving foster family and is loving and patient, while the young woman is tough and tender with the kids, always trying to get them to open up and stay safe, while being closed up herself about her own emotions and abused childhood.

toujours gai toujours gai
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 5:40 pm 
Mr Peabody and Sherman (2014) Typical high quality CGI animation from Dreamworks. A modern reboot of the old cartoon from the early days of TV. Meet an entertaining array of historical figures from King Tut to Marie Antoinette as Peabody and Sherman venture forth in the wayback machine, slinging bad puns with abandon. As kid movies go this one is tolerable the first time, for one thing you learn why Mona Lisa is smiling that enigmatic smile. Patrick Warburton voicing Agamemnon in the Trojan horse is pretty fun.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 10:18 am 
Deliver Us from Evil (2014) Eric Bana delivers a decent performance as the stereotypical big city cop (driving way too nice a ride) as he and the tough guy, wisecracking partner encounter a steadily widening circle of insanity and evil. Soldiers home from Iraq (where they encountered an artifact and some rather unhelpful and unwholesome supernatural influences) bring those influences home, with less than friendly results. The unconventional Jesuit priest Bana encounters along the way turns out to be a valuable ally when the darkness follows Bana home to his wife (Olivia Munn) and daughter. Not a bad flick as this sort of movie goes, I enjoyed the classic horror tropes of latin invocations and walls of runes more than I did the mishmash 'silent hill' a few days ago.