Bacon and 151 Rum.

don't believe everything you think
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mehitabel
archyologist

mehitabel
archyologist
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 8:24 pm 
People coming down from a hike are hungry and need caffeine for the drive home. We always look for a coffee milkshake. On our way to hiking we would conceivably buy larabars or apples, oranges, bread and cheese.

toujours gai toujours gai
Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 9:13 pm 
mehitabel wrote:
People coming down from a hike are hungry and need caffeine for the drive home. We always look for a coffee milkshake.
Don't forget those burgers and fries.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 9:15 pm 
Wouldn't this be more something for the trail runners? What do you folks pack along?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:30 pm 
Ski wrote:
What is it about those products that pushes their buttons and makes them buy?
I know that's a rhetorical question, but the answer for me is convenience. On my week long trips there's always 2 or 3 Mtn. House meals in my food bag. Boil a cup or two of water, pour it in a bag, let it sit for a few minutes, eat something relatively tasty and filling. Doesn't get any easier than that. They're also lighter calorie-for-calorie than most meals a lazy person like me can concoct from stuff available at the grocery store. Thing is, I'm packed and ready to go when I leave home. If I'm stopping somewhere on the way to the trailhead it's got get a coffee or breakfast burrito or grab some minor item I forgot. On the way home it's more coffee or a burger and a shake. When someone says "supplement" I tend to think "snake oil." Besides, I think companies like GNC have the whole supplement thing covered.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Starbucks is a good example- they've managed to successfully market their instant coffee products for upwards of $1 per cup by convincing us that magic micro-particles are somehow superior, when in fact, a better tasting instant brew can easily be self-blended for around one fifth of that price.
Do tell. Seriously. I buy Via because it's super convenient and tastes better than other instant coffees I've tried. If you know of a way to make a better tasting brew for less $$ that's just as convenient I'm VERY interested.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:37 am 
Bedivere wrote:
When someone says "supplement" I tend to think "snake oil."
Me too. Batteries are probably a good thing to stock, people forget them occasionally, and they run your lights.

robertjoy

robertjoy
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:55 am 
Many specialty items such as jerky, freeze dried food, GOO, are already available. They are not palatable. But there is ONE item that is not available which would be easy to sell and at a high markup: Fresh/Irradiated chicken breasts, vacuum packed and requiring NO REFRIGERATION. (About 30 years ago these were being sold in my local supermarket as a test item. They were fine, but were discontinued after the test marketing. cool.gif ) "America's astronauts have been eating irradiated (fresh) foods from the beginning of the space program. Irradiated food was eaten by the Apollo astronauts on the moon and on the joint American-Soviet Apollo-Soyuz space flight. American astronauts have continued to consume irradiated beef, pork, smoked turkey and corned beef aboard the space shuttle flights."

Mosquitoes refuse to bite me, purely out of respect.
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 8:30 am 
When you say supplement, I normally think of all of those little pills you can buy that contain ginseng and fish oil and such. Not sure if that is what you are talking about or if you really just mean food people would take for hiking. If it were food, check the food forum here to get ideas of what people like to do. Those freeze-dried items like Mountain House or Packit Gourmet is something I usually take along. Usually they taste ok but it is pretty convenient that all I have to do it heat up water to eat it. So you might also want to sell some of the small fuel canisters. Other than those, I like to have a Payday and tangerines/tangelos. packets of hot chocolate are good too. As people have mentioned, different kinds of power bars or granola bars. Basically think of things that are not bulky or messy or take a lot of food preparation. And things that do not require refrigeration. And if you are really good at marketing you can try to market my idea of dehydrated water biggrin.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:45 am 
Bedivere wrote:
I know that's a rhetorical question, but the answer for me is convenience.
No, it wasn't rhetorical at all.... I've never bought the stuff myself, so I would have no clue about "reasons". robertjoy's maybe got something there. different. a little "out of the box". wonder if that would work with the sauteed shrimp/veggie thing my buddy does? he packs it in a seal-a-meal bag, freezes it, and cooks it the first night. could the product be made more convenient? didn't somebody post a deal here that was a paper fold-up throw-away bowl/cooking vessel? I'm not following the question on the "supplement" thing at all.... who hauls "supplements"?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:54 am 
I usually just spark up a fatty of that gypsy cabbage.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
pikahika

pikahika
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 am 
I don't have anything to add about food products, and I think that several of the posters here have already provided some excellent commentary! Regarding what we usually call "supplements". . . I think there are a few that you could reasonably market to a specifically-hiker-minded crowd: the joint-oriented ones like glucosamine/chondroiton and glucosamine/collagen. Some people swear that taking these pills daily helps keep their joints--especially knees--functioning with less pain. Also, you might consider a basic protein powder or perhaps a protein/carbohydrate combo powder that could be added to a water bottle. I don't like taking smelly, potentially messy or sticky powders in my own pack, but I know some people who like the stuff enough that they deal with it.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:28 am 
goldfish crackers.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:40 am 
had to call my buddy to get the shrimp recipe.... stir-fry whole (peeled, deveined, tail-off) shrimp in wok with "Lee Kum Kee" garlic chili sauce. package in vacuum-sealed bag - similar to "seal-a-meal", but will withstand boiling water. freeze. seperately, package cooked rice in a similar fashion. freeze. on day one of multi-day trip, drop both bags into pot of boiling water for a few minutes. done! I think my mom has one of those machines. I'm going to have to try that one myself.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:53 pm 
C'mon Ski, don't play dumb. You know why people use pre-packaged freeze dried meals - for the reasons I put forth and possibly a couple others. They're lightweight and convenient. Simple as that. Not nearly as tasty as that shrimp dish, but definitely a lot lighter.