Forum Index > Trip Reports > Canyonlands NP, 10/11 - 10/15
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
EJ

EJ
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:52 pm 
Most of the Canyonlands trip reports seem to be from the springtime, so I thought I'd do a TR from my recent trip. Fall is such a nice time around here that I understand why people might not venture south. But one of my many gifts is clairvoyance, so I timed my trip to coincide with the first of the October rains in Seattle. While it rained up here, it was nice and sunny (but not too hot) down in Utah. I took inspiration from a John Morrow trip report to split my backpacking permit into two: A night at Murphy Point in the Island of the Sky district, followed by 3 days in the Needles district. The hike to Murphy Point is an easy 1.8 miles. I started off early afternoon, using the morning to visit the Mesa Arch and Aztec Butte. I reached the White Rim well before dark, so I had time to wander around and pick a nice tent spot near the White Rim. While camping here requires a permit, there are no designated campsites, so I tried to find a flat spot that looked like it'd been used before.
Little Agnes doesn't get out much these days, having been replaced by a lighter, bigger 2-person tent. However, I brought her on this trip because I didn't want to get my other tent all dirty.
Little Agnes doesn't get out much these days, having been replaced by a lighter, bigger 2-person tent. However, I brought her on this trip because I didn't want to get my other tent all dirty.
I pitched my tent near here.
I pitched my tent near here.
Aww, it's cute!
Aww, it's cute!
Sunset and sunrise on the White Rim are the reasons I chose this spot.
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Fire Sky
Fire Sky
But the moon was pretty nice, too.
I didn't stay up for moonrise (it was at midnight), but I had to answer the call of nature at around 2 am. I grabbed my camera and took some moon pictures.
I didn't stay up for moonrise (it was at midnight), but I had to answer the call of nature at around 2 am. I grabbed my camera and took some moon pictures.
The weather forecast indicated wind overnight. Sure enough, I woke to my tent shaking. I decided to pack up in the dark and hike out, forgoing sunrise. But I lost the trail of cairns in the dark, so I stopped and waited for the light and saw the sun rise, too.
Sunrise
Sunrise
Morning Light
Morning Light
It's a bit of a drive to the Needles district from the Island in the Sky. I decided not to bother making breakfast in the wind and instead grabbed some coffee and donuts in Moab. My next destination was the Elephant Hill Trailhead. It's pretty much dry camping here, so I was loaded up with 6L of water, which I was hoping would be enough for 3.5 days (it was, just barely.) Luckily, the trail is never very steep and my destination, Elephant Canyon campsite 3, wasn't that far. Except that I missed the turnoff to Elephant Canyon and ended up in Chesler Park... That added a couple of miles to my day, but I still reached my campsite by 3 pm. It's a nice, quiet place and very spacious.
Me and Little Agnes
Me and Little Agnes
The sunset here wasn't as dramatic because of all the towers in the way.
The sunset here wasn't as dramatic because of all the towers in the way.
The next day, I decided to hike out to see the Druid Arch. I didn't feel like carrying my heavy pack an extra 4 miles, so I cached it off-trail. I didn't have my GPS with me and I didn't trust my memory. I ended up taking a picture of the trail where I left the pack and that proved very useful when I indeed forgot where I'd left it. The Druid Arch trail is fun with a bit of scrambling up and over rock. You don't see the actual arch until you've scrambled up some boulders.
On one section, there was a ladder and metal bar to help you get up the rock.
On one section, there was a ladder and metal bar to help you get up the rock.
But then it's there. In your face. Big. Imposing.
You don't see the arch until you've scrambled up the last bit of trail. Then it's there. It's big and it's impressive.
You don't see the arch until you've scrambled up the last bit of trail. Then it's there. It's big and it's impressive.
Druid Arch Panorama
Druid Arch Panorama
After this, I headed to Chesler Park where I had two nights at CP1. It, too, was a big, spacious and quiet campsite (until a couple of hikers traipsed through while I was trying to relax and proceeded to have a long conversation while sitting at the back of the site. I thought that was incredibly rude.)
Chesler Park 1
Chesler Park 1
It has some nice views nearby.
Chesler Park towers
Chesler Park towers
I came back for sunrise. It was spectacular.
I came back for sunrise. It was spectacular.
Sunset and sunrise are featured attractions.
Chesler Park Sunset
Chesler Park Sunset
Chesler Park Sunset
Chesler Park Sunset
Sunrise
Sunrise
It was like a painting.
It was like a painting.
The next day, I hiked the Joint Trail, which was a lot of fun. It's narrow in places and I wanted to chimney up the walls to see how far I could get, but decided that I probably shouldn't, in case I couldn't get back down.
There is a section of trail that squeezes between walls. In some places it is only a few feet wide. I was tempted to chimney up to the top but I didn't want to get stuck up there with no way to get out.
There is a section of trail that squeezes between walls. In some places it is only a few feet wide. I was tempted to chimney up to the top but I didn't want to get stuck up there with no way to get out.
Looking Up
Looking Up
I would love to come back to Chesler Park in the spring when the flowers are in full bloom. I did get to see a few flowers, juniper, and a couple of critters.
Wildflower
Wildflower
Red Desert Flower
Red Desert Flower
Wildflower
Wildflower
Juniper
Juniper
This guy watched me make dinner (mango curry chicken on pita bread. It was yummy.)
This guy watched me make dinner (mango curry chicken on pita bread. It was yummy.)
The first few lizard pictures I took were out of focus, so I made it my mission one afternoon to get a good picture. These lizards were all over the place, except when I wanted to photograph one!
The first few lizard pictures I took were out of focus, so I made it my mission one afternoon to get a good picture. These lizards were all over the place, except when I wanted to photograph one!
I ended my trip by doing a couple of days of climbing, including climbing Ancient Art, the Stolen Chimney route. What a crazy climb!
It was crazy! The scary part was crossing over to the corkscrew. I scooted across the narrow "sidewalk" au cheval style.
It was crazy! The scary part was crossing over to the corkscrew. I scooted across the narrow "sidewalk" au cheval style.
I hit Arches National Park on the way back to Grand Junction. I'm sure it's a very lovely park, but it was packed with people. I was already missing home and had gotten my fill of desert towers and arches. I will come back some other time and make this my first stop so that I'm properly impressed!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 6:22 pm 
Cool EJ! Glad the TR's were useful in some way. Hope Canyonlands lived up to expectations. It grows on you the more you are exposed to it! Nice sky at CP1, makes April seem like a long wait. John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
half fast

half fast
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 7:27 pm 
EJ wrote:
Sunrise
Sunrise
Very nice up.gif up.gif Looks like a fun trip EJ!!

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
kite

kite
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 pm 
Nice! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Chico

Chico
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 9:37 pm 
EJ wrote:
I wanted to chimney up the walls to see how far I could get, but decided that I probably shouldn't, in case I couldn't get back down.
Now wouldn't that be embarrassing? You mentioned the wind driving you out. How fast do you think it was blowing? Or do you remember if the forecast mentioned wind speed? Just curious. Ancient Art is deceiving. No sense of scale. Guess I'll have to go look it up. And thanks for another look at yet another part of this great country.

EJ

EJ
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 pm 
My love will always be for the mountains and the sea (I'm a PNW native), but I really enjoyed the desert. I will definitely be back to see more of Canyonlands! (maybe a springtime trip smile.gif ) I think the forecasted winds were for 10-20 mph (and gusts to 30mph). I have no way of really gauging how strong they were when I woke up, but the gusts were strong enough that I couldn't go back to sleep. I don't think I was in any danger of getting blown away; I mostly used it as an excuse to get myself up and going (mornings are hard for me...)