Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:10 am 
http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:14 am 
I'm all in favor of her being allowed to revisit these destinations with a scrub brush prior to her imprisonment. What a naive idiot.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 am 
Not art, but garbage.
tiki
tiki
Took this from my kayak on Banks Lake. It is in Steamboat Rock SP. Not only is it vandalism, it is incorrect. That is not an island. It is a peninsula. Wish folks who do such stuff would have to come back and clean it off.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chico

Chico
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:22 am 
gb wrote:
What a naive idiot.
I myself would use stronger language. Hope she is caught. Some people just don't have a brain. Where is the wizard when you need him?

suziq999

suziq999
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:43 am 
I can't decide what is stupider. Defacing national park structures, or posting about it on the internet. It's like deciding between syphilis and herpes.

wheatie

wheatie
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 11:54 am 
Syphilis is cured by antibotics. she is not niave, she knew what she was doing us wrong, but felt above the law. I hope she gets the highest possible punushment.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 pm 
Apparently there is now a Whitehouse.gov petition about the National Parks vandal. Press charges - Casey Nocket - fines,max community service,jail time,etc. for - http://goo.gl/hY4yQj (defacing NP & NM)

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:15 pm 
airline travel + acrylic paint + social media + pathetic human ego Nevermind prosecution, justice would have been one of those cliffs simply dropping a rock on her.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:29 pm 
White House petition asking to press charges against Ms. Nocket my comment on the "Modern Hiker" site: Zank, the petition to the White House is probably a good idea to bring attention to this, but I wonder about its efficacy, and whether it will get the number of signatures required for anyone to pay attention to it. I would suggest sending an email to the National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis at jon_jarvis@nps.gov and expressing your outrage and disappointment his direction. It would appear this will not be Ms. Nocket’s first experience dealing with law enforcement: http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20120110/law-disorder-jan-10-2012 After having read the articles and comments that have so far been posted here and on other sites, the adjectives which I believe most aptly apply here are: narcissist ignorant entitled I am quite saddened by this. My guess is Ms. Nocket more than likely had some academic training, but it would appear the tuition might have been better spent on liquor or lottery tickets.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:38 pm 
I wonder how she would react if I went to her house and did a few paintings of my own. When I see stuff like this mad.gif

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:45 pm 
Ski wrote:
the petition to the White House is probably a good idea to bring attention to this, but I wonder about its efficacy, and whether it will get the number of signatures required for anyone to pay attention to it. I would suggest sending an email to the National Park Service Director Jon Jarvis at jon_jarvis@nps.gov and expressing your outrage and disappointment his direction.
up.gif

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 pm 
Ski wrote:
It would appear this will not be Ms. Nocket’s first experience dealing with law enforcement: http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20120110/law-disorder-jan-10-2012
Yeah, but that looks like nothing more than a pot bust.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm 
Hopefully she will refrain from future art projects on public land and doesn't choose to up the ante

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:18 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Hopefully she will refrain from future art projects on public land and doesn't choose to up the ante
If she's gonna paint on things, I'd prefer it to be on things like phone booths and mail boxes.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 1:25 pm 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:23 PM Mr. Jonathan Jarvis, Director National Park Service Washington, D.C. re: Casey L. Nocket graffiti/vandalism at National Parks Sir: After reading several online articles and readers' comments regarding Casey L. Nocket's graffiti and vandalism at several National Parks, I would like to express my comments and suggestions. This matter was brought to my attention in an online article posted HERE: http://www.modernhiker.com/2014/10/21/instagram-artist-defaces-national-parks/ There has already been a petition posted at whitehouse.gov HERE: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/press-charges-casey-nocket-finesmax-community-servicejail-timeetc-httpgooglhy4yqj-defacing-np-nm/1y8xJBGm It would appear this is not Ms. Nocket's first transgression. Story HERE: http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-news/20120110/law-disorder-jan-10-2012 I believe the three adjectives which most aptly apply in this case are: narcissist, ignorant, and entitlement. I consider myself to have a fairly open mind when it comes to "art", and have a bit of background in the art world myself. While the ancient native American petroglyphs and pictographs were indeed a form of "graffiti" originally, the addition of what are at best mediocre high-school-level cartoons can in no way be considered something which enhances the intrinsic beauty and value of our National Parks. I urge that Ms. Nocket be prosecuted to the fullest extent the law allows. I have no doubt others will cry out for retribution in the form of incarceration or community service at the least, or removal of Ms. Nocket's fingers at worst. Having worked with acrylics myself a few times, I know it can be removed with acetone or a pressure washer, but I believe in this particular instance it would be more appropriate and more environmentally friendly to employ pure water and a stiff boar-bristle brush. A video posted online of Ms. Nocket removing her work might well prove to be an effective deterrent and send a clear message to other cretins who might be entertaining thoughts of engaging in similar activities. Thank you very much for your time and consideration. cc: Sarah Creachbaum, Superintendent, Olympic National Park cc: Randy King, Superintendent, Mt. Rainier National Park

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."