Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wounded hikers climbers and skiers that just wont quit.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 12:50 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
Good grief, Coldrain, why did you let that doctor touch you?
Emergency! I had little time to seek second opinions. Arrived in the Emergency room at 10pm, by 6am next morning they were coming at me with a Makita drill (the blue green ones). The doc was a great technician, he pieced me back together very nicely, but he didn't have much confidence in his work. At the time he gave me a 50/50 chance of it not becoming necrotic. At one follow-up visit he got one of his fellow doc's to come take a look at the X-rays and the second doc said it looked like a great job and that in his opinion it should be fine in the long run - glad he was right. The head of the femur broke across the neck instead of along the vertical axis - thus leaving a bigger chunk of bone attached to the ball, which it turns out provided enough blood supply to keep it real. I expect that some time in the not so distant future I'll need to get a new one, but for now it is still holding up.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm 
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess when your femur is broken at the hip you don't get the luxury of waiting a few weeks to get it fixed, duh. redface.gif There ought to be a forehead slap smiley... Glad it worked out so well for you despite the negative nancy dr.!

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 2:27 pm 
As far as injuries go, I tore meniscus in both knees but the right knee is worse. It affected my skiing more than anything else, but I can still do a 25 mile day fairly easily, depending on the weather and my load. In 2010 I lost almost all sight in my left eye and over 50% in my right eye due to glaucoma. As a result, I have no stereopsis depth perception. This makes climbing down almost anything problematic. I cannot judge even the roughness of a rocky trail. Additionally, I have difficulty seeing anything in both low light and bright light conditions. This means I cannot see the surface of snow so I no longer ski or snowboard. I do continue snowshoeing but never go alone, always with another person. I cannot find my way around in the dark, even with the brightest of headlamps. This obviously means I no longer hike at night. In camp I have to have everything set up before nightfall. This makes winter camping a real adventure. I still hike solo, but I have to be VERY carefull. I can still scramble up many slopes, but I usually forgo anything that might get me into trouble. I still off-trail, but again avoid anything iffy. It has taken me a bit to regain my confidence solo. It has been a process of each time trying to push my confort zone a tiny bit more without being stupid. I am always discovering my limitations and then some way to get around them safely. It took losing significant sight to force me to become much more aware of my surroundings. One of the biggest disappointments is I am no longer able to see the stars, which was one of my greatest enjoyments in the backcountry. It took a bit of attitude adjustment to get over that. I must now be content with my memories of what the night sky looked like and the thrill it gave me. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 3:22 pm 
Rumi - any chance of cornea replacements?

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 3:43 pm 
Unfortunately, glaucoma kills the optic nerves and at this time there is no treatment which will restore life to nerves. There are some experimental stem-cell treatments which offer hope for the future but it could be a long way off before that becomes a reality. Here is an NPR piece of the latest in treating macular eye disease. I am not even sure this would directly or indirectly relate to my problem but it is always a hope. If I could get into a study, I would offer my left eye carte blanche as it is almost completely useless to me. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 6:30 pm 
Wow, this thread really makes me realize how lucky I have been. In a few months I turn 60, and after decades of skiing, running, various outdoor activities and martial arts, all I've suffered is one broken toe and the need for reading glasses. I admire those who have dealt with physical adversity and keep on doin' it.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 6:37 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Unfortunately, glaucoma kills the optic nerves and at this time there is no treatment which will restore life to nerves. There are some experimental stem-cell treatments which offer hope for the future but it could be a long way off before that becomes a reality. Here is an NPR piece of the latest in treating macular eye disease. I am not even sure this would directly or indirectly relate to my problem but it is always a hope. If I could get into a study, I would offer my left eye carte blanche as it is almost completely useless to me. Rumi
Rumi - I dunno what's wrong with me lately. You wrote "glaucoma" but I read "cataracts." Best of luck to you, and I admire your stick-to-it-iveness.

gb

gb
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 pm 
williswall wrote:
Wow, this thread really makes me realize how lucky I have been. In a few months I turn 60, and after decades of skiing, running, various outdoor activities and martial arts, all I've suffered is one broken toe and the need for reading glasses. I admire those who have dealt with physical adversity and keep on doin' it.
Yes, my feelings exactly. I'm older than you and very lucky, but one morning I could wake up and it might be different, or maybe I won't wake up at all. One thing is for sure, spending time in nature doing what I want to do is a big part of life for me - it is the foundation of my spiritual world. I'll count my blessings. I, too, want to wish you the best of luck, Rumi. I've a female friend, while still capable, has macular degeneration and has to hope for the best. I hope, she too, has luck on her side.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 9:51 pm 
Mine is just a little story, compared to the previous posts. Broke my femur just below the hip socket a year and a half ago. Emergency surgery left an eight inch slice in my outside abductor which scarred up and caused a significant limp. Got tired of the limp, so as soon as the trails opened up started hiking up Williamson Creek Road and it's 45 berms several times a week. Finally made it up to Greider Lakes, then graduated to Park Butte and the Scott Paul Loop 12 miler. Since then have day hiked every week for a total of 21 day hikes since June. What limp? smile.gif

tom roy

tom roy
PostThu Oct 23, 2014 10:40 pm 
Lots others to I thought so. I lost bladder control and my right leg was so numb before the operation I was in danger of breaking my leg so. l was using a cane. A spinal Deformity surgeon did a good job. But its not a injury. And Ive broken ribs and impaled a clutch lever through my hand crashing dirt bikes. In my youth. I wont stop my knee replacement has made it fun again. My pcp was doing a yearly I was wearing shorts and he was checking moles for melanoma I said pretty pathetic sacred up body.' His response was no I see a man that's lived a life and did not just sit on the couch or in the bar watching sports. I still watch and go to the Oregon games. A big Seahawks fan to.Love to go to the Winterhawks games when Seattle come to Portland.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 8:28 am 
I've had a series of partial shoulder dislocations (subluxations) for years after really wrenching it falling on slippery rocks near Alaska Lake. Learned the motion to reset it on my own and had to do it several times in the backcountry. Finally experienced a total dislocation one year ago and couldn't pop it back on my own. Had surgery to repair a torn labrum. I'm back to about 90% though I don't feel like I can do any bouldering or climbing that involves hanging on an extended arm. I can walk and hike just fine though! Now recovering from a sprained back after getting hit by a car while biking to work. Legs still work so I should be good to go soon-ish.

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 8:40 am 
gb wrote:
williswall wrote:
Yes, my feelings exactly. I'm older than you and very lucky, but one morning I could wake up and it might be different, or maybe I won't wake up at all. One thing is for sure, spending time in nature doing what I want to do is a big part of life for me - it is the foundation of my spiritual world. I'll count my blessings. I, too, want to wish you the best of luck, Rumi. I've a female friend, while still capable, has macular degeneration and has to hope for the best. I hope, she too, has luck on her side.
Yes I had hoped to be the eighty year old guy but its not to be. Things were decided for me before I came into this world. My blood work and eyes are healthy and I wish the best to any one out there suffering vision issues that is everything if you cant see the rest does not matter.

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 am 
Opus wrote:
I've had a series of partial shoulder dislocations (subluxations) for years after really wrenching it falling on slippery rocks near Alaska Lake. Learned the motion to reset it on my own and had to do it several times in the backcountry. Finally experienced a total dislocation one year ago and couldn't pop it back on my own. Had surgery to repair a torn labrum. I'm back to about 90% though I don't feel like I can do any bouldering or climbing that involves hanging on an extended arm. I can walk and hike just fine though! Now recovering from a sprained back after getting hit by a car while biking to work. Legs still work so I should be good to go soon-ish.
I dont know about you but Rotator cuff surgery was painful as hell. It was day surgery but I wished I would have been in the hospital getting the good stuff through a IV. The pills were worthless. Crazy long therapy to, my total knee replacement was easier but my shoulder works fine and never hurts now. I could not sleep before they fixed it buy during the day it was minor

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 9:17 am 
Torn my ACL, medial collateral ligament and Lateral meniscus some years back and now I clearly have some arthritis but with good regular exercise and stretching, I don`t think the joint is rapidly getting worse and I do whatever I like. Being in the health biz, I got a tip from several providers to try living with my lack of an ACL before going on to surgery with all the attendant rehab and extra trauma to the knee that that entails, and so I did exactly that and have a stable knee and no restrictions w/o a reconstructed knee. Granted my scenario isn`t for everyone but sometimes less is just fine and the powers of inherent body healing due the trick just as well as a surgery.

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Torn my ACL, medial collateral ligament and Lateral meniscus some years back and now I clearly have some arthritis but with good regular exercise and stretching, I don`t think the joint is rapidly getting worse and I do whatever I like. Being in the health biz, I got a tip from several providers to try living with my lack of an ACL before going on to surgery with all the attendant rehab and extra trauma to the knee that that entails, and so I did exactly that and have a stable knee and no restrictions w/o a reconstructed knee. Granted my scenario isn`t for everyone but sometimes less is just fine and the powers of inherent body healing due the trick just as well as a surgery.
I hike with a guy who never got his ACl fixed like you and after nine years he is fine.Surgery for me is not something I want but it has cured major problems for me. The body does have has amazing abilities to heal. A persons attitude does not heal but can cripple one.