Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wounded hikers climbers and skiers that just wont quit.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 9:40 am 
Tom Roy: Surgery is without a doubt essential for some scenarios, and I am by no stretch against multiple procedures that clearly give the patient a much better life after the procedure than they otherwise would have. That said, often times surgeries aren`t always necessary and can be avoided. Often times, a combination of patience, a wait and see attitude and regular excercise, PT, stretching and a positive attitude are just the right medicine.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 11:22 am 
Tore my ACl in High school (late 60's). At that time there was no reconstruction available. Still had to have surgery because the pieces of the ACL were getting stuck in the knee and couldn't straighten it. Lasted for 20 years until the toll of running and 5000' descents told me I needed to get it fixed. Reconstructions were at the their start. Unfortunately by now the cartilages were flattened, but it did stabilize the knee. Now I have tons of scar tissue buildup because the knee was opened too many times. Sure you can get by by with no reconstruction, I did for 20 years. But the instability will give you problems later when your quads loose their tone with age. I think it is better to get it done and now using a scope etc. the rehab is easier.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 12:16 pm 
I was told that skiing and other sports (tennis, basketball, etc) that put a lot of strain on the knee would be a very bad idea without the reconstruction. I know for sure skiing relies heavily on strong knees. If I hadn't tried to do flippy-spinny stuff in a halfpipe or triggered an avy I'd probably still have both my original ACLs...

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 1:57 pm 
To reconstruct an ACL or not always brings out a lively debate.... I think it is hard to generalize however. Some individuals have a stable knee for life without an ACL. Others are instable from the get go and others develop instability later. The point I am trying to make is you have options. The prevailing opinion from the medical field is to reconstruct. I do know some veteran Orthopedists who agree that often one can live w/o an ACL....

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:02 pm 
your right all ligaments are need for skiing or your just going t tear up your cartridge. my ligaments were fixed the old fashioned way. But by 50 years old my nee was bone on bone and that can be unstable to. They say people ski on replacements like mine but the risk of a hard fall is not worth what could happen with my other issues. My wife still goes with her nephew and his kids I would be lying if I said it does not drive me crazy this time of year especially. I started skiing at six at Cresent mountain in of all places Iowa. Then I got good in the cement at Snoqaulmie summit in the late sixties When I moved to the PDX area I was in heaven at the higher altitude area Mt Hood Meadows.And the short trip ot Bend.And with relatives in Bellighham Baker and Whistler we visited at least once a year. I love the Baker ski area. Sometimes we would take the extra drive up to White Pass a asmall but great place. I gotta stop thinking about this is driving me nuts Alpine skiing should be a controlled substance lol.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 2:06 pm 
I guess I am going to be the contrarian here, but give a proper brace for anterior/posterior support, you can ski just fine w/o an ACL. I have skiied no problem the last 3 years without one....

tom roy

tom roy
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 3:50 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I guess I am going to be the contrarian here, but give a proper brace for anterior/posterior support, you can ski just fine w/o an ACL. I have skiied no problem the last 3 years without one....
I dont think so i had a custom brase ln the late ninties i bet they have come a long ways . . . . . . . AlAl

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 3:59 pm 
TR: They have! They custom fit it to your thigh and calf and the support is excellent. The best one for ACL support is a Townsend Brace...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:22 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
give a proper brace for anterior/posterior support, you can ski just fine w/o an ACL.
Yup. A bud of mine has skied hundreds days with a blown ACL and with a custom brace. He's a charger. Numerous alpine skiers have competed in the Olympic games with blown ACLs.

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:41 pm 
I skied for years with no ACL and no brace. All and any terrain. There just weren't decent braces available long ago. Started using a brace when the knee was reconstructed (1987). Now the quads are too mushy to do a full day of skiing ( to spring for a full day $$$$) so now just doing back country skiing, 1- 2 runs per trip. And no I cannot bend it enough to do the full tele turn, so with plastic boots now can do jump turns on three pin stuff.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 5:46 pm 
I see two different issues which prevent/discourage one returning to actively enjoying the outdoors after injury/disease. First there is the issue of pain. Pain is difficult to overcome. One can take pain killers, PT, etc and still have significant pain. And every individual has a different perception/tolerance for pain. The difference between putting up with the pain of walking to the bathroom and that of a weekend backpacking trip on a decent trail. This is especially true if the pain is not sufficiently mitigated by the usual means. Second issue which can prevent/discourage one from returning to outdoor pursuits is one of fear. An individual can fear reinjury, pain, and other factors to the point they are reluctant to resume their outdoor recreational activity. For me the fear which I have had to overcome while solo is getting lost. Related to that is the fear of injuring my remaining "good" eye (low functioning as it is) and becoming relatively helpless. Anyway, that is how I see it. When being in the outdoors means soooooo dang much to a person, they attempt to find ways to continue. I think many of us here on this board love backcountry travel and recreation enough to seek to continue even in a diminished/modified manner, pain and fear be damned. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm 
Generally speaking... If you don't use it...you lose it.

Art is an adventure.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 6:39 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I think many of us here on this board love backcountry travel and recreation enough to seek to continue even in a diminished/modified manner, pain and fear be damned.
up.gif pretty much it in a nutshell. tom roy, there was a little bit of back-and-forth on this subject just a while back here.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Oct 24, 2014 7:05 pm 
Stefan wrote:
If you don't use it...you lose it.
You can also overuse it and lose it.

tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 9:27 am 
Dalekz wrote:
I skied for years with no ACL and no brace. All and any terrain. There just weren't decent braces available long ago. Started using a brace when the knee was reconstructed (1987). Now the quads are too mushy to do a full day of skiing ( to spring for a full day $$$$) so now just doing back country skiing, 1- 2 runs per trip. And no I cannot bend it enough to do the full tele turn, so with plastic boots now can do jump turns on three pin stuff.
I skied for years with no cartridge MSH and Adams plus the ski areas at Hood. There is no cut and dry rules for knee injuries. Good for you.