Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wounded hikers climbers and skiers that just wont quit.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tom roy

tom roy
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 9:42 am 
I have enjoyed the responses on this thread If my doc had not told my wife skiing was a no no I most likely would be dumb enough to do it. She is so worried about me just hiking and always says cant you just go to the Columbia river gorge freeway like tails. I like the solitude of MSH and Adams other than Monitor ridge. And she says cant you just do a five mile hike. I understand her worries but I have stood firm on the hiking texting her when I can. And she made me buy a PLB. after 36 years of marriage you have to respect your spouse I do value her opinion she was and is a better rock climber than I ever was.She was the best partner i could have had on countless trips.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 10:15 am 
BigSteve wrote:
Had my right side vestibular (inner ear balance) system extracted during brain surgery on 1/15/2013, still getting out in the mountains on foot and on skis. Some stuff I can't do that was once routine, and my balance gets whacky now and then, but no complaints cuz it could be so much worse.
Whoa Steve, you should have let us know. We would have been there for you. Im glad everything turned out ok. With your million ultra thons you've run you're a great example for the rest of us. Keep em flying.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:25 am 
Timely post for me rolleyes.gif After a few "episodes" of gimpy knee over the past decade, attempt at PT strengthening a couple years ago, looks like meniscus arthroscopic a month out from now. Well, I already lost out on October to hike, even short walks among the maples and now the opening of ski season. shakehead.gif As a dedicated Mission Ridge patron, I'm a little perturbed, but hopefully can get the pain taken care of. I know that YMMV, but sounds like 4-6 weeks recovery for some activity. Hey, the snow will just be piling up enough by New Years to open the whole mountain. suuure.gif I would think that some easy cross-country ski shuffling earlier than that might be good rehab. We'll see what the Dr. says. So yeah, I am one of the walking wounded and will persist. fencing.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 2:29 pm 
This is a really impressive thread. It's amazing to see how many courageous, determined outdoor folks there are. Consider what all those injuries would have been like without health insurance.

FailsToMeetExpectations

FailsToMeetExpectations
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 4:46 pm 
I recently lost use of my left arm in a fall from a sailboat. The fall broke my arm, dislocated my shoulder (by 6" or so), and most importantly tore up 3 nerve bundles. This is on top of Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer, which mucked with my stamina in general. BTW, the dislocation was relocated, or whatever they call it. Well, to hell with all of that. Still trying to get out on hikes regularly. What i have to be careful about are situations where i start to fall to my left -- some near misses in that regard -- however overall hiking is still doable and a lot of fun. There have, however, been some epic battles with my wife and daughter, who feel that one-handed people should not be allowed to drive, and that the drivers test is insufficient proof that people are safe and competent. So getting to the trailhead is unpleasant -- but very doable (and safe smile.gif )

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 6:26 pm 
As long as we are including maladies also I might as well join in. In chronological order over the last 20 years: - Total removal of meniscus in left knee. - Major cancer. - Heart attack with stent. - Injured left foot in tumble on 7FJ. - Injured right foot skiing at Mission Ridge. - Currently diagnosed with different kind of major cancer. This is why it does not bother me to take off on multi day solo trips at my age. What do I have to lose.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:08 pm 
My injuries are minor compared to what HitTheTrail, BigSteve and others are reporting, but I can offer one possible helpful suggestion to those lamenting their skiing days lost to knee injuries. I quit skiing in 1998, due to a combination of meniscus tear, chrondomalacia, patellar tendonitis, arthritis . . . and switched to snowboarding - much easier on the knees - and quickly became proficient. This last winter I took up split-boarding and soloed some wonderful ridge lines in the South Cascades in addition to regular Camp Muir visits. For me at 63 it's a whole new lease on life.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:33 pm 
I think I broke my big toe once. It hurt pretty bad. Everyone keeps telling me my knees' days are numbered. I believe them. One of these days I'll probably die...

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 1:31 am 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
One of these days I'll probably die...
There are worse things which could happen. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 1:37 am 
This thread is certainly proof positive of that Rdude... So far so good... Every rose has its thorn... Life is too short to worry ... My life has been completely amazing... YMMV... I love the ellipsis...! Tomi

tom roy

tom roy
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 9:40 am 
I remember having my left arm in a sling the nerves to my right leg almost useless and wearing a diaper. I drug myself around with a cane and told myself well at least i dont have cancer. My deep respect to people dealing with cancer the mental part must be as painful as the physical.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 11:24 am 
I fell off a ladder years ago. This might explain why I'm not so fond of exposure. Nothing broken, just my spirit.

gb

gb
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 12:14 pm 
FailsToMeetExpectations wrote:
I recently lost use of my left arm in a fall from a sailboat. The fall broke my arm, dislocated my shoulder (by 6" or so), and most importantly tore up 3 nerve bundles. This is on top of Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer, which mucked with my stamina in general.
Well, I guess this is what we should expect, especially things like Big Steve, Rumi, Fails, and HTT have (are) going through. We are all getting older, and unfortunately - not saying for you 4, but for all of us - it is only going to get worse. Still, it's clear that it is important for all of us to get out there as much as we can and as long as we can, no matter how lucky we are. I was talking to a friend who has been and is still active; athletic but injury prone. We were talking about viewing pictures on a computer in some forgotten context, and he said (with regard to viewing photos of trips on a computer, "What do you think we'll be doing twenty years from now?" Although I recognize my aging, I'd not thought of it that way. I'll keep going; if I die out there on a hard trip at some point, so be it. The worst, and the likely scenario for most of us, is that at some point we just won't be able to. But I had a good friend from British Columbia die in a car accident last year - and that of course is worse. Although I've been lucky til now, who knows? Kudos to those of you who have still been able to (I'm sure at times, made yourselves) get out there despite considerable adversity. That takes a lot of courage and sets an example for the rest of us who are aging, and those, like Tom, who are younger.
Quote:
"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
Sometimes the chocolate is bitter.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 4:19 pm 
Tom_Sjolseth wrote:
This thread is certainly proof positive of that Rdude...
As Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote: I hold it true, whate'er befall; I feel it when I sorrow most; 'Tis better to have loved and lost Than never to have loved at all. I can always find others who seem more fortunate than myself, but I can also find others who seem worse off. Ludwig Van Beethoven lost his hearing and was almost completely deaf, yet still composed great music to the end of his life. It is a cliche, but to a great extent life is what one makes of it, at least for most of us. At the end of every doctor visit, my doctor tells me "Now go out there and live". Damn good advice for all of us. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 6:08 pm 
My knee malady seems like a skin scratch compared to what some of you are facing.... Strength and resolve to you!