Forum Index > Food & Grub > What is best for a long hike?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lj112012

lj112012
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 pm 
Hey guys, sorry for bothering. I am a business major in Ohio University and we have a big project on opening up a store in Portland, Maine inside the Natural and speciality food industry. Our group decided to open up a store that focuses on Supplemental products specifically made for hikers, seeing as how that is popular in that region. (Not really opening up a store). Seeing as how none of us are experienced with hiking, was just hoping I could get some experienced hikers feedback on what is the best supplements to use and what we could put in our inventory! Thank you for your time. Keep on hiking!

Sorry to bother, just need a devoted hikers opinion for business class!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lj112012

lj112012
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 5:14 pm 
We are business majors and are tasked with opening up a makeshift store in Portland, Maine inside the Natural and Speciality food industry. We went with hiking. Just trying to get personal input from an actual hiker! No real store at all!

Sorry to bother, just need a devoted hikers opinion for business class!
bkellygr

bkellygr
PostTue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 pm 
It seems like everyone has opinions on what works best based on their own experiences. I found these articles this past year in preparing for a backpacking trip. I think the article and comments/responses might help in your research. Calories and weight are factors. http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/16547/ultralight-backpacking-meal-plan/ http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/5521/10-ultralight-backpacking-foods/ Andrew Skurka also has a blog article on the topic. If you have high mileage and many days, you need to be thinking about caloric intake. For long dayhikes (20 or more), I eat normally with energy bars and other snacks with a lunch. For backpacking trips, I'd plan all my meals in an Excel spreadsheet. This past year, I added calories to ensure I get enough or if it balances or matches the distance/difficulty of the day. The past three years, I've been a huge fan of PackItGourmet for dinners plus occasionally breakfasts and lunch options. http://www.packitgourmet.com/ Some thru-hikers will just swing into a local grocery store and buy whatever they can find there. If I was doing a month (I haven't done longer than a week), I feel I could plan it all out but if you're doing 4+ months that might be something to try. The closest supplement I might take on the trail is an Emergen-C Joint or other packet at the end of long day. The right answer is the one that works for you. Good luck

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 am 
Packit Gourmet Tuscan Stew 1780 mg sodium per 16 oz. serving eek.gif as a reference point: McDonald's "Big Mac" - 1070 mg sodium lj112012, if this were MY assignment, I'd pick through the "nutritional information" on every one of the products from all the manufacturers I listed in the other thread and then go from there, so you know what you're going up against. from the labels I read, looks like the lady at "Paleo" is trying to address the sodium content issue, but my guess is that it could be cut even more. and why does a beef stew need "corn syrup solids"? what's that all about?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 pm 
Ski wrote:
what's that all about
corn syrup solids

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 1:32 pm 
In-R-Food, in the article cited just above by Chico wrote:
The corn industry has even petitioned the FDA to allow new names for some refined corn sweeteners.
read: Montsano and Archer-Daniels-Midland
In-R-Food wrote:
Currently, 86% of the US corn crop is genetically modified.
two very good reasons to not buy any products containing corn syrup in any form. unfortunately, the "corn industry" (Montsano, ADM, et al) have insidiously worked this garbage into almost all pre-prepared food items at your local supermarket. note the comment below from the lady who found it in her baby's formula. perhaps I should have made my question more clear: why the hell do you need to put sweetener in beef stew? is the stew that bad you have to add sugar to be able to eat it? if you want to sweeten a dish like that, just grate a little carrot into it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chico

Chico
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 7:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
perhaps I should have made my question more clear: why the hell do you need to put sweetener in beef stew? is the stew that bad you have to add sugar to be able to eat it? if you want to sweeten a dish like that, just grate a little carrot into it.
The food industry is all screwed up. But you have to make it taste good when you open the can after five years. And it makes for cheap filler.