Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:02 am 
RIP Jack Bruce - best bass player ever - 1943-2014

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Oct 25, 2014 11:29 am 
the Master on his Warwick with Rory Gallagher

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 3:16 pm 
Here's one iconic bass line. (Lead guitarist not shabby, either.) peace.gif Badge

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
RichP

RichP
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 5:20 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Badge
Such a great song. up.gif up.gif

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 6:20 pm 

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 8:13 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Lead guitarist not shabby, either
Rory was one of the great under-rated guitarists of the late 20th century, up there right along with Leslie West. He made a huge impact in Britain, but for some weird reason just never got to the top of the heap over here. I remember driving all the way to Portland one night to get a copy of a double-album set of "Taste" and "On the Boards"- both outstanding and cutting-edge stuff at the time. You did notice that neither Rory or the drummer knew the song before they went out and played it for the encore, right? wink.gif The thing about Jack, though, was not only was he a master on the bass and an excellent writer, but a fabulous vocalist. A great loss.

contour5

contour5
PostSun Oct 26, 2014 9:00 pm 
Rory Gallagher and Jack Bruce both gifted us some incredibly powerful sounds- the blues rock power trio format is the sonic equivalent of a sledgehammer to the solar plexus. I remember standing in the front row at the Paramount theater in 1975, watching Rory Gallagher just blow the lid off that place. He had a strat on his chest and an old National Steel guitar hanging from his back. Mid-song he twitched his shoulders and spun the guitars, switching to acoustic without missing a note. Check out this documentary: Ghost Blues - The Story Of Rory Gallagher Clapton recorded "Steppin' Out" about 200 times; this jazzoid 1966 version with the Powerhouse features some interesting bass from Jack Bruce: Stepping Out

gb

gb
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 am 
Like most everyone of the time I had the Cream 1968 album Wheels of Fire and as I recall one other vinyl recording. I wasn't wild about Cream but thought Wheels of Fire was an amazing piece of work. I have CD version of the same album in my collection. What was Jack Bruce's history with Cream? I assume he toured with the band for it's revival tour of a few years back? Is the band still viable without him? Has it been playing lately?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 9:57 am 
no..... Cream disbanded in late 68 after Wheels of Fire was released... Jack teamed up later with Leslie West and Corky Laing... only time I ever saw him on stage was when he was with WBL.... I remember his left hand was just a blur on the fretboard... Jack and Clapton and Baker made an appearance at Royal Albert Hall in May of 2005.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 5:33 am 
He did some great stuff with John McLaughlin, Billly Cobham, etc. as well.