Forum Index > Gear Talk > elastic failure epidemic!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 8:02 am 
Jetlag wrote:
Perhaps the dryer temperature has changed
most likely theory Evidence: Lint = the residue of disintegrating clothes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 12:24 am 
Kevin wrote:
I've always thrown everything in the dryer. Even the synthetics for hiking. Never had a problem. huh.gif
Same here. But, I don't expect my underwear to last 8 years either. the only clothes I have that are that old are a ratty fleece jacket I used to wear when I worked outdoors and now wear when working on my car or out in the yard in foul weather, and a 1999 S.O.D. tour T-shirt.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 8:02 am 
I do have one of those Caprolene shirts that is at least a decade old. Hmmm, or did I finally throw it out? No elastic but it has had hard use and I was surprised at the durability.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:31 pm 
Is it possible that it could be certain manufacturers. My Haynes stuff went bad really fast but the Costco and Penney brands are still OK, all are the same age. Even have some really old Penneys (20-30 yr) that I use for hiking because they are 50-50 cotton- polyester and dry quickly, that still have the elastic in them.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 5:51 pm 
iron wrote:
when i buy clothes, i plan to wear them for at least a decade until they fall apart. recently, i've had the elastic bands or general stretch of the fabric on the following items fail: underwear (8 years old) leggings, for biking (5 years old) socks (2 years old) gloves (4 years old) shorts (10 years old) pajamas (2 x 6 years old) and some other things i'm forgetting. this seems like a very strange pattern and all the failures have occurred in a short 6 month window. the washer/dryer we use hasn't changed. i haven't gained/lost weight or size. the only thing i could see as different is the laundry detergent. we've been using the costco brand for many years. the last new bottle we purchased was probably at the start of this year. any thoughts? this seems very odd to me.
What seems odd to me is that you actually know how old each of these articles of clothing are! If you asked me how old my socks and underwear are, I wouldn't have a clue. It's not like I keep the receipts for these things thumb-tacked to the bulletin board or something. You must be extremely organized! smile.gif

Pef

Pef
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 6:42 pm 
Could it be some wifely sabotage? I mean, maybe that eight year old underwear just ain't doing it for her anymore? smile.gif

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Nov 01, 2014 11:29 am 
Gloves? I have resorted to carrying a pair of reinforced gloves like the Big Jake brand for clearing occasional trail debris because mtb gloves aren't as durable as you'd imagine. The thread of Carhartt's jeans, I've had continual failures in the crotch area with these jeans. You'd think with the expensive double knees the crotch would have ample stitching. Nope. I've discontinued buying in bulk and buying that brand after have 5 pairs fail in the same spot over the years. At 45+ bucks a pair, a big disappointment. The rest of the jeans seemed to last. The double denim has paid off 2-3 times from cuts during demo projects. My lastest sweet find were a pair of Mountain Khakis for 9 bucks at a second hand store. We'll see how they last. No double knee so I have to be more careful loading and unloading tip bins. Iron, how many pairs of each? 1 pair shorts, 12 pair socks?