Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Kennedy Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 11:18 am 
I think you're correct - it's not even something they'd consider. It's not something that's one in wilderness.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 5:40 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
I think you're correct - it's not even something they'd consider. It's not something that's one in wilderness.
From what I can tell the FS doesn't have any plans to rebuilt the White Chuck trail -- much less the hot springs pool.
Quote:
White Chuck River Trail 643 Area Status: Unreachable The 2003 flood destroyed this trail and Kennedy Hot Springs was buried by five feet of material off of Glacier Peak. In 2006 less than one-third of the trail remained. There are no plans to repair it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 5:52 pm 
That blows, I liked that trail, hot springs or not.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
touron

touron
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 7:02 pm 
Glad I hiked it when I did. Sounds like now even a touron couldn't fine the trail.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
gb

gb
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 9:23 pm 
My favorite was Kennedy Ridge and it's continuation along the ridge at the top of Ptarmigan Glacier. Many good trips there on skis and on foot. The meadows near where Kennedy intersected with the other ridge were to die for.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 9:55 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
From what I can tell the FS doesn't have any plans to rebuilt the White Chuck trail -- much less the hot springs pool.
Quote:
White Chuck River Trail 643 Area Status: Unreachable The 2003 flood destroyed this trail and Kennedy Hot Springs was buried by five feet of material off of Glacier Peak. In 2006 less than one-third of the trail remained. There are no plans to repair it.
\ No, but they are planning on doing a lot of work on the Meadow Mountain trail system, and at least years ago, to also use the Fire Creek trail and to resurrect the old Glacier View trail (parallel the Whitechuck trail) and then to the PCT. A Meadow Mtn trail system plan was in the works, and the first part has been completed - the trail from Crystal Lake to Circle Peak trailhead which was built after the floods, but it was already funded so they choppered in a crew and got it done. The floods put the ki-bosh on the rest of the plan, so for the last 11 years - nada. It will take time, but there will be a trail system there again. I haven't heard that a trail from the PCT to Kennedy to Lk Byrne will be repaired, but I would imagine that in time it will.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 10:32 am 
Rebuilding the White Chuck trail would be a major undertaking
IMHO the only way it will happen is with enough lobbying to have congress allocate specific funds for the reconstruction. Until then climbing Glacier Peak will remain far more epic than it used to be -- but personally I think that is OK -- Boulder Basin was notorious for a poop polluted water supply and prior to the road and trail getting washed out there were sometimes hundreds of folks on the summit on holiday weekends. So at least one Washington volcano will be conga line free

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 10:36 am 
With the Suiattle road open folks can go back to the Rabbit Ears route, it is a lot more sporting. hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 11:24 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I liked that trail, hot springs or not.
I would go there and not even visit the hot spring. A crossroads. 1,992 people signed the Kennedy register in 1969 - (Spring, Manning, 101 Hikes, C-1972.) 2,500 people signed the register in 1977 - (Spring, Manning, 101 Hikes C- 1979).

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
snoholic

snoholic
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 11:26 am 
It's currently about 3' deep and about 98 degrees. Nice for soaking tired feet. Trail to lake Byrne exists sort of (first 1/4-1/2 mile is a little adventurous).

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 11:41 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
IMHO the only way it will happen is with enough lobbying to have congress allocate specific funds for the reconstruction.
The trail system I described above replaces the Whitechuck trail, which will get a hiker to Kennedy. I think the better lobby would be a rebuilt of the Lost Creek Ridge trail to Byrne and down to Kennedy. That trail system would provide a really nice trip (it's nice now, but rough).

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 2:15 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
IMHO the only way it will happen is with enough lobbying to have congress allocate specific funds for the reconstruction.
The trail system I described above replaces the Whitechuck trail, which will get a hiker to Kennedy. I think the better lobby would be a rebuilt of the Lost Creek Ridge trail to Byrne and down to Kennedy. That trail system would provide a really nice trip (it's nice now, but rough).
It is also true that one may access the area by hiking up the NF of the Sauk over Red Pass , north on the PCT and then down to the hot springs site. ~16 miles and 5200vft and 4000vft on the return. The Lost Creek route is ~10 miles 6000vft in and 4800vft return. I'm not sure what the proposed changes to the Meadow Mtn trail are -- but eyeballing the existing trail -- it looks similar in distance and elevation gain as the MF Sauk route. A far cry from the old White Chuck trail which was 5 miles and 1600vft. Do you have more info on the proposed Meadow Mtn trail -- would it prived a more direct route than the existing Meadow Mtn trail ?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 2:38 pm 
Trails aren't tyipcally based on direct routes; they're for enjoyment. Yes, you can also access the Kennedy site from N Fk, Lost Creek Ridge, as well as from fording the Suiattle and via Milk Creek, as well as from the many trails from the east side. In other words, "All Trails Lead to Kennedy, Eventually" up.gif From what I recall years ago, the plan was to build a new trailhead on the Rat Trap Pass road and a new trail from there to the newly (2008) built trail to Circle Peak to the north, and Crystal Lake to the east (if I have my directionals correct). From that intersection, you will then either head to Circle Peak, or go to Crystal Lake to Meadow Mountain trail to Fire Mountain and Fire Creek trail, then down to the old Glacier View Trail (parallel the Whitechuck trail, only higher elevation) to the PCT, then down Kennedy Ridge to Kennedy. The Meadow Mtn roadwalk and Crystal Creek road/trail would no longer be used. The first phase was funded just before the Oct 2003 storms wiped out access to that area from both access points. Rather than lose the money, they went ahead and built the trail from Crystal Lake to Circle Peak trailhead. Now that the “Battle over the Suiattle” is done, the Darrington District can get back to bettering trail systems. and rather than managing the Suiattle Road project, their biologist can get back to being a biologist and helping to rescue northern spotted owls.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 11:07 am 
The Forest Service would probably gladly sign-off with a non-profit type of group to rebuild the hot spring - they just want to scale back recreation involvements. I nominate Kim Brown as president of the Save Kennedy Hot Springs group because of her knowledge of FS red tape, etc..

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
gb

gb
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 12:00 pm 
I nominate Kim Brown for President also. wink.gif