Forum Index > Gear Talk > Leki pole and warranty failures
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 9:30 am 
The Leki poles I bought summer of 2013 have now had four tip failures, where the metal tip pushes through the end of the pole and rattles around in the shaft. The first failure they sent a new tip. The second failure I pulled a tip off another pole. The 3rd and 4th happened on the same 3/4 day hike. I submitted a warranty claim on October 13. On the 14th they requested and I sent a picture of the failed tips. They went silent and did not respond to additional emails after that. I called today and they told me that "due to abuse of the warranty by AT hikers" the tips are not covered. I suggested that if they are having that many failures it's not a warranty issue, but a design or materials issue and that I've never had the metal tip push through the end of a pole made by any other company. So, caveat emptor with Leki. I'm done with their products.

If not now, when?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichardJ

RichardJ
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 10:06 am 
My daughter received some Leki poles for her birthday. She hates using poles, but she is going to take them on parts of her PCT thru hike next year. Cascadeclimber, can you tell me which model you have that failed plz?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 11:24 am 
People still buy Leki poles? Who knew?

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 1:27 pm 
Viewing CC's post it appears the poles did not fail. The tips are a universal piece to any Leki pole. I use BD Spire Flintlock and Leki Khumbu Speed Lock and prefer the Leki. That being said what happened to CC sounds like a bad run of product that Leki should stand by but if Leki isn't going to do the right thing I might not throw the baby out with the bath water and consider purchasing the tips myself.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 am 
RichardJ wrote:
Cascadeclimber, can you tell me which model you have that failed plz?
Almost all of them use the same tips. I'm the first to admit that I'm hard on gear. I've purchased, without complaint, about a dozen pairs of Leki poles over the years. If/when they fail or break after 5+ years of use, I figure they are done and another pair is in order. But four tips, all failed the same way, on a pair of poles one year old is not acceptable to me.

If not now, when?
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 9:10 am 
Do you have pictures? How did the tips fail? I mean did they break off?

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 12:05 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
People still buy Leki poles? Who knew?
My thoughts too!

Edgewood

Edgewood
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 1:41 pm 
Depends....Didn't buy one but got one.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 4:05 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
How did the tips fail?
The pushed through the plastic into the pole. I can hear one rattling around inside the pole.

If not now, when?
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Oct 29, 2014 8:34 pm 
I was unaware you were an AT hiker. rolleyes.gif Way to go, Leki.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Oct 30, 2014 7:00 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I was unaware you were an AT hiker. rolleyes.gif Way to go, Leki.
(in my best Cliff Clavin voice)...It's a little known fact that the Appalachian Trail includes the Cable Line on Tiger Mountain. You wouldn't think so at first glance, but it there it is.

If not now, when?
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Oct 31, 2014 3:35 pm 
I have had Leki poles for years. Komperdell, BD, and a number of others too. The 2 brands that have proven most durable for me are BD and Leki. Leki poles are fine. I use them like poles, not spud bars. hahahaha Tips on high quality poles are designed to break away so you don't ruin a shaft section if you jam a tip between immovable rocks while moving fast. Tips are cheap and designed to be replaced...like brakes and tires on a car.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 10:09 am 
Schenk wrote:
Tips on high quality poles are designed to break away so you don't ruin a shaft section if you jam a tip between immovable rocks while moving fast. Tips are cheap and designed to be replaced...like brakes and tires on a car.
The thing is that these tips didn't break in flexion as you describe. All four failed when the carbide bit pushed through the end of the pole. And cheap? I'm seeing $21.50 each online, which means I'm $86 in tips on a pair of $125 poles in one year. That's like brakes costing $20,640 on a $30,000 car.

If not now, when?
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 3:58 pm 
Yes, you do have a problem. My point was mainly that the tips were designed to be replaced. I have lost my balance and slammed every bit of my weight behind my Leki poles into hard granite and not had the failure you have had. Your experience is indeed puzzling. Any chance those things were getting hot enough at some point to cause the plastic to weaken or deform a little around the carbide stud? Like in an automobile trunk or something? Are you getting your replacement tips from the same store? could there be a bad batch of tips out there? Hmm...regardless; one must have confidence in their gear. If you feel it is the fault of the poles and you have done what you consider to be reasonable to avoid the problem and it still happens. then switch brands. I haven't tried it but it looks possible...use BD tips on your Leki poles?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 11:16 am 
Well all I can say is I've owned several pairs of BD poles over the years and never had a tip failure..... Now I've bent them myself, and did have the handle come unglued on a pair of 5+ year old poles when hiking in Hawaii in the heat/humidity. Other than that the BD poles have done the job and at least never had any failures that might have caused a fall or accident. The only Leki poles I owned were the screw type that no matter how they were tightened would come loose after a few hours of use and almost caused falls on two hikes. After that I returned them to REI and went with the BD flick locks instead (and the BD poles were significantly cheaper as well, go figure).