Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Which Dialect Of American do you speak?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 6:10 pm 
Both my parents were born in WA, as was I and I grew up saying pop for soda pop. It is the proper way, after all. biggrin.gif

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 6:29 pm 
Pop fer sure. Soda is this.
We weren't served pop too much as kids. Once a month we would visit my Aunt and Uncle, and they would serve us a coke or 7-up, which was a pretty big event. If we were sick, we might get a glass of ginger ale to "settle the stomach", which was about the only good thing about getting sick. whaambulance.gif + drink.gif = biggrin.gif Hmmm....the origin of certain words

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Nov 02, 2014 7:43 pm 
Brian Curtis wrote:
The term potluck originated in Europe in the 1600s. The similarity to potlatch is purely coincidental.
There are a lot of bad etymologies out there. This one sounded wrong. Thanks for debunking.

cartman

cartman
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 am 
coldrain108 wrote:
When I grew up I lived in : Washington Oregon Ohio Illinois California Connecticut New Jersey Georgia and back to Washington.
Pfft. When I grew up I lived in: Tacoma Seattle Moscow, ID Boise Spokane and back to Seattle. So there. There's a difference between dialect and accent. Dialect is what words are used, and how they're used; accent is how the words are pronounced. You may not have an accent (or don't think you do), but all of us will have a dialect, even if it's a mishmash of several from having lived in different parts of the country.

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 6:23 pm 
I guess I went from #16 to #14 & then back to #16. I never thought I had an accent, but I have had a couple people accuse me of having one. confused.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 5:32 pm 
My native dialect recently lost in the finals of the Ugliest Accent in America contest: http://gawker.com/dear-jagoffs-pittsburgh-officially-has-the-ugliest-acc-1648212760 They called it the Scranton accent, but it's really the accent of da whole (Lackawanna/Susquehanna) valley, alla ways from Carbondale downna Hazleton. It's also called Heynabonics.
Anyways, we lost to Pittsburgh, so the winner is still in the beauteeful state of PA (motto: Pittsburgh, Philly, and Kentucky in between). It was a close vote, a couple-two-tree more votes heren nere and we woulda been contenders. Heyna?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 5:59 pm 
I speak the English language, Pacific Northwest dialect.