Forum Index > Photography Talk > Camera store recommendations (local or online)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jeff

Jeff
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 8:34 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
touron

touron
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 8:38 pm 
If one were in Bozeman, MT, I would recommend this store.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 9:23 pm 
Don't know where you heard bad things about B&H - they have always done me right. Buy-dig is also good.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 9:27 pm 
B&H may have complaints, but that's largely just because they do so much volume that you're likely to hear more noise. The positive reviews will likely vastly, vastly outweigh the negative. They're really the best online camera store out there. I've ordered many toys from them and had zero problems. Locally try Kenmore Camera.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 10:45 pm 
Yep, B&H is fine. Abes of Maine is one of those bait & switch outfits. Locally, Glazer's in downtown Seattle is excellent. I've heard good things about Kenmore Camera but never been there. Glazer's is kind of crammed into temporary quarters at the moment. A brand new building is being constructed for them where they'll be able to bring their retail and rental shops together (been in different buildings), should be really nice once it's done but for now their retail store is cramped & messy. Online - Adorama is another good one, and there's always Amazon.

jcocci

jcocci
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 10:50 pm 
I can recommend kenmore camera. I've had hit and miss experience at glazers.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 11:10 pm 
Tall's at Southcenter treated me nice, but their prices are a bit high unless what you want is on sale. Fred Myers has a pretty good selection of point n shoots, and great deals when things go on sale. Fry's has an awesome selection of extra batteries and accessories, including cheap third party aftermarket batteries for almost any camera. Good return policy after a cursory shakedown and interrogation. Bad all around service, but massive selection of batteries, chargers, gadgets and doodads.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 7:54 am 
I've had good experience with B&H and Adorama. I've also ordered from Newegg (they sell camera equipment too) and they're the best online retailer IMO. I shop Kenmore and Glazers locally. I've had my worst return experiences at Frys

sten

sten
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 8:26 am 
I've had good luck with adorama buying used items.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:08 pm 
Within reason you get what you pay for with online camera retailers -- it's a very competitive market. B&H, Adorama, Amazon and others with a solid reputation to protect will help you out if there's a problem. I used to try to shave a few dollars off my camera purchases but stopped when 1) the price was lower because no battery was included or 2) the manual was photocopied so probably a customer return. In both cases the camera itself was fine, but it made me wonder what would have happened if it wasn't.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:51 pm 
I've had good experiences with both B&H and Adorama. I've also had no troubles with Best Buy, when they've happened to carry what I'm buying and are charging a decent price. Glazers is a great local Seattle store; perhaps overkill for a point-and-shoot but a good store nonetheless. I've had more mixed experience locally with Kits camera locations (are any still open?) - e.g. poor experience with wanting to do a w/in a week of purchase due to issues with the product.

mike

mike
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:55 pm 
B&H, Adorama, Henry's. Be careful with Amazon. They act as a middleman, e.g. w/ Adorama. You're better off to go straight to the source.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 5:38 pm 
I have had surprisingly good luck and good prices at B&H. The reviews are scarey, I agree. But so far... so good. Kenmore camera....I keep trying to buy stuff there. I have only succeeded buying a basic point and shoot for my wife there. I think they are better if you are only buying classic Nikon or Canon DSLRs. Maybe its luck of the draw, but every time I have gone there, I have gotten a technically clueless counter person and no ability to cut a deal on a package deal or give any reason to buy there, and usually out of stock of what I need anyway. I want to like them, but always end up walking out in disgust. I agree that Amazon is dangerous. Too much gray market and fly by night sales. And you are on your own for service. You can get a good deal on Amazon, but research the source carefully. YMMV

friluftsliv
RichardJ

RichardJ
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 6:31 pm 
B&H and Adorama have always been great for me. Love their customer service when I had a few problems over the years. My one purchase at Cameta Camera was good too. I bought a refurbished D300 and a zoom lens from them and they have always been perfect for me.

kite

kite
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 6:40 pm 
I have always had very good service at Glazers and have done well with B&H Photo (love the ipad app)