Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Tom Magliozzi
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 11:02 pm 
What a great show they had. It was informative, but more fun than informative. And for car ignoramuses like myself, it was solid entertainment. You could listen to the show for five minutes and feel like Click and Clack were close acquaintances (though evidently neither was sure who was Click and who was Clack). "In the end, the best thing about Car Talk was the most obvious, too: It’s the only program you can turn to and hear nothing but laughter." up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif
Quote:
At the end of the show, Ray warned the audience, "Don't drive like my brother," to which Tom replied, "And don't drive like my brother." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_Talk

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chico

Chico
PostTue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm 
touron wrote:
And for car ignoramuses like myself, it was solid entertainment.
It was good entertainment for anyone. They sure did have fun with it.

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 7:45 am 
sure will miss the guy....what a fun and informative show. He was hilarious while at the same time highly educational for us 'idjuts.' frown.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 12:45 pm 
Thanks, touron for posting this thread. This was always a feel good moment to catch these two brothers on the air over the years. I loved the humor and good laughs, but particularly enjoyed Tom's philosophy and wisdom. Yesterday I found a link to Terry Gross's show on NPR yesterday. She had interviewed Tom and Ray on her show in 2001. She plays back the interview and also includes an interview with their producer Doug Berman who worked with them since 1987. Both interviews are entertaining and the recent one is quite moving. Here's the NPR page with a link to that show yesterday. Enjoy, ~z ,

touron

touron
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 8:16 pm 
Thanks for posting the link, zephyr. Here are "5 Hilarious Audio Clips" from the show

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 06, 2014 10:54 am 
I love listening to them while on the road. Best damn show on NPR, ever. I hope they keep playing the re-runs forever!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
BlueMountainMan

BlueMountainMan
PostFri Nov 07, 2014 10:12 am 
Been listening to Car Talk most every week on Saturday morning(and sometimes again on Sunday morning, back when KPLU had it on twice in a weekend) for twenty something years. . . . some of my most memorable shows were heard out on camping trips on Sat mornings, e.g. Deer Park or similar- Tom's wild laughter wafting across a quiet mountain setting maybe with a little breeze, a few birds, etc., the laughter echoing into the distance(and hopefully not annoying any nearby campers). . . . quite the contrast in scenes! (btw- this technique works well for This American Life also) The story at the end of Fresh Air, about the amount of $ it would take to get the two of 'em to give a talk at a big company meeting was classic Tom attitude: "tell 'em we'll give the talk for a hundred thousand each. But then we wouldn't be able to do it, because we'd never work for anyone who would be so stupid to pay us that much. . ."