Forum Index > Photography Talk > Phototronix in Seattle?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 11:00 pm 
Anyone ever used this company before? The folks at Glazer's sent me over there and I just got an estimate from them today that seems kind of high but maybe it's in-line - I've never had a camera repaired before so don't really know what it should cost. The live-view lever/button on the back of my D7000 started sticking and I was having back-focusing issues and the camera really needed a good cleaning after being hauled all over hell's half acre since it was new. They're saying $355 to disassemble the camera to fix the sticky button and adjust the focusing and a "complementary" cleaning will be thrown in, too. Does that seem high, low, just right? If I find that all they did about the focusing issue was use the camera's AF Fine tuning, I'm going to be pissed...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 10:25 pm 
Got my camera back today. Feel like I spent an awful lot of money for what I got. Should have shopped around. Ended up costing $388 with tax to repair the live view button and fix the back-focusing issue. For another $100 I could've bought another D7000 body with fewer clicks on it. Not sure how they fixed the focusing issue but at least they didn't do it through the AF fine tune controls as that's still off. Of course, jury is still out on whether it's actually fixed until I get out and do some shooting with it where I'll be sure to use max zoom and aperture to do some testing. Camera exterior is still pretty dirty. I asked them to clean it thoroughly as part of the service and didn't notice how dirty it is in their dimly lit customer area. In the future I'll make sure to shop around. looks like Camera Techs in Ballard and Camera Clinic in Shoreline get good reviews. The problem with Camera Clinic is their hours and how out of the way they are for me but I guess taking a little time off work would be okay for stellar service and good prices.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 10:31 pm 
I used them in the 80's to weatherproof my canon FT/QL for use in Nepal, as ire member it was expensive and they did a good job as my shutter speeds were off before the work. It seemed expensive at the time but I got great pics. I think now it is not usually worth it to repair. Now I use a PAS waterproof to post on FB. So it goes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Nov 11, 2014 1:06 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
For another $100 I could've bought another D7000 body with fewer clicks on it.
This. I just assume a "hiking camera" has a limited lifetime and that is the price I pay for having a good camera in places where others do not. Painful but good chance to upgrade too. Canon cameras, that I have owned, seem more sensitive to abusive conditions than other brands, at least in my experience.

friluftsliv
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostTue Nov 11, 2014 7:18 pm 
I got a nice used D90 with 6 batteries, a new camera bag, a battery grip an after market strap with the plastic LED cover still on it for $390. It's not a D7000, but I'm happy with it.. I just broke my SB600 speed light and it sounds like Nikon will want the earth to repair it, so I just bought a new Chinese knock off speed light and will try to repair my SB600 myself. I have not broken a hiking camera yet, but I did not like taking my work camera out in the woods and risking losing a job if it broke, so that is why I bought the second D90..

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 11, 2014 10:29 pm 
I wouldn't want to step back to a D90. I upgraded to the D7000 from a D200 which is very similar to the D90 and the low light/high iso performance is worlds better, which is something that matters to me as I do a fair amount of shooting indoors. More than anything else it irks me that this thing isn't spotless. For almost $400, and them claiming they had to disassemble to repair the live view button, I'd think it would have been the easiest thing ever to clean it thoroughly, especially since that's one of the things I asked for. B&H has a used D7000 body for $539 with all accessories but they don't say what the shutter count is. That's cheaper than any of the ones locally on Craigslist at the moment. Eh, whatever, I'm not willing to give it back to them for another week for them to clean it though I'm probably going to sell it to finance another upgrade so need to get it good and clean. And, I should've shopped around. Bet I could've gotten better service and cheaper at one of the other places.