Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > 2.89?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon Oct 27, 2014 9:05 pm 
touron wrote:
Will low gas prices change your trip plans? I ask!
For me I don't think they would, even if it were summer. I drive to destinations - my big fault - but otherwise I consciously minimize mileage by combining trips as much as I can.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 11:44 am 
Meh rolleyes.gif It's temporary. Why do i say this? Diesel prices are about the same. When diesel prices drop i'll believe gas will stay down for a while.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 28, 2014 12:34 pm 
FWIW, lots of U.S. diesel going to Europe, where increased market share of U.S. refineries has offset overall softened demand. Some experts say that U.S. is becoming the "diesel refiner for the world." As a longtime oil resource nerd, I'll be watching closely to see how this plays out. Current softened prices are due to relaxed demand. Relatively high petro fuel prices justified more expensive extraction plays, e.g., fracking, tar sands, but those plays are low margin (or in the case of most tar sands plays, economically impracticable) enterprises at current prices. Add to that: There's growing evidence that the Bakken plays might be relatively short-lived. Only a retrospective look years from now will tell us when we hit the global oil production peak, and it's very possible that the Bakken plays will result in a PO adjustment of only a few years. New reserves get unexpectedly discovered from time to time, e.g., Bakken, North Sea, but those discoveries are happening less often and overall extraction prices are increasing sharply from a long-term perspective. Also, the advent of fuel-efficient cars is a significant factor in curbing demand, so maybe you 12MPG 4x4 drivers should give thanks to Prius and Insight owners. wink.gif

AR

AR
PostMon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 pm 
I thought we were talking about gear ratios at first glance...I was going with 4.88's and an Eaton L.S. behind just about any power house. breakdance.gif

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Nov 05, 2014 3:47 pm 
election is over - back to 3.59/ gallon - it's really not that complicated.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Nov 06, 2014 12:20 pm 
Gas is currently $2.69/gallon at my house. The rumor I have been hearing is that the lower-than-usual gas prices will be used as an excuse/reasoning for the State Legislature to pass a gas tax. Of course, if that happens then the prices will skyrocket in a hurry once oil barrel prices jump back up. $4.00+/gallon... here we come!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
mike

mike
PostThu Nov 06, 2014 8:54 pm 
Saudi Arabia is dropping their crude prices to the US. (but not to Asia) This is going to put the squeeze on any Bakken players who have overextended themselves in the rush to cash in. And there are quite a few. Bakken crude doesn't have nearly the head room that Saudi crude does. FWIW Anacortes refineries are bringing in 60k brl. via tank car a day and are getting ready to expand that capacity considerably.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 06, 2014 10:00 pm 
The Saudais are doing the same thing John Rockefeller,did at the turn of the century. He came into town drastically undercut,the suppliers that were there by selling under cost, once they went bust he raised the price to higher than it was before. Capitalism 101.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
AR

AR
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 5:04 pm 
I'm not sure why Hulksmash cares as he's been using hundred dollar bills for toilet paper. breakdance.gif Coldrain108 nailed it with the election. It's already back over three dollars in Stanwood.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 5:49 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The Saudais are doing the same thing John Rockefeller,did at the turn of the century. He came into town drastically undercut,the suppliers that were there by selling under cost, once they went bust he raised the price to higher than it was before. Capitalism 101.
The reality....
Quote:
The argument that Standard Oil extorted high prices from the public is simply unsupported by evidence. Indeed, the opposite appears to be true: Refined oil prices "fell from over 30 cents per gallon in 1869, to 10 cents in 1874, to 8 cents in 1885, and to 5.9 cents in 1897." [19] Being a large market power, but a market power nonetheless, Standard Oil could not create monopoly prices for fear of competitors springing up to win over dissatisfied customers
source ********************* Gas is 3.09 to 2.99 here in the gorge, and hasn't budged much for the last few weeks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 6:04 pm 
Source the Mises Institute rotf.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 6:10 pm 
As always, you're more than welcome to show the information is actually false. The problems with 'monopoly' in markets where the technology remains known are well understood. On the other hand, why change now.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 8:27 pm 
Nobody (including me) has the slightest interest in debating your libertarian theology. tongue.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Nov 10, 2014 8:44 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Nobody (including me) has the slightest interest in debating your libertarian theology. tongue.gif
That's to be expected, since you're lacking the basic tools... like actual falsification of a claim that shows your argument to be false. This isn't political anything, it's merely economic facts. And the best part is, you'll never gain them so long as you judge data by wether you like the source instead of dealing with the arguments. hockeygrin.gif

AR

AR
PostSat Nov 15, 2014 8:58 pm 
"... like actual falsification of a claim that shows your argument to be false. This isn't political anything, it's merely economic facts." Best checkmate of 2014.